Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Your rights and liberties are at stake
Long story short, former tech exec who worked for Mozilla was detained when re-entering the United States (he is a citizen) because he was involved with an organization (Mozilla) that advocates privacy and took measures to try to protect its users from warrantless surveillance. He was detained in customs and interrogated, and (he works for Apple now) it was demanded of him to unlock his work computer so that the FBI could search it
This is truly disgusting and goes to show that forces of a great degree of power are throwing their weight against our civil liberties and rights. This isn’t just the case for Americans.
We need to stand up for our basic human rights against warrantless surveillance, and protect the people that enable us to do so through safe and good technical practices.
He’s now suing for unjust detainment. God I hope he wins. Fucking bullshit.
Thank you Andreas
all kinds of things:
2. Idiots working on WiFi firmware
3. Said idiots telling us that they found a compiler bug when a signed integer optimization screws their codes dependency on rollover. People like that shouldn’t be writing WiFi firmware.
5. Treating weapons of mass terror like machine learning like just a fun game to work on and then release open source
6. The fact that when assholes from all these companies like Facebook google and Amazon testify before Congress our political leaders are dumber than bricks when questioning them so they either a. Ask totally the wrong questions and people get off clean or b. When the witnesses do say something questionable is happening Congress doesn’t have the mental capacity to notice that something of concern was just said
7. despite the fact Linux has an easier to use UI than windows people bitch about how hard it is still
8. How defensive people are over their “own stuff.” “I like windows so if you say anything against it you’re insulting me” or “but I wrote this code you can’t refactor it that’s my mark!”
10. The fact that web assembly, though the superior technology, is going to become popular not because it’s fast but because it makes it harder to block ads and harder to read and analyze the code.
11. The fact that our obsession with web technologies has led to applications that are 10,000x less efficient than other alternatives, the carbon footprint of this is astonishing, and nobody cares. But they all want to save the environment. What?
12. The social disease of social media and how people have become addicted to a degree almost comparable to crack
13. People think being an influencer on Instagram is a real job.
14. People waste preposterous amounts of energy on crypto currency mining despite the fact that it doesn’t offer many real advantages over cold hard cash. It’s still trackable!!
15. Modern copyright law and how it’s been implemented in our web services that we use every day is insane; the music industry is a mafia and are using google as a club to beat us all down with. And google is fine with that.
16. All the music made today is fake and that’s done by leveraging all the “great” technology that (now defunct) digidesign avid and auto tune has brought to us
17. We design computers and software for the stupidest users that easily fall prey to all these things rather than the average person.
18. The Boeing 737 crashes are software related. That means some idiot fucked up and a bunch of people died. Need I say more?
The world will end some day and it will be because of software. You either accept that fact or live in denial.
If you are reading this donate 10 minutes to a great cause in need and scroll through your feed downvoting the Pooh meme reposts. It’s blatant reposting that is going to start a trend of that being funny and delegitimize great content10
By and far undergrad in the USA
Full of a bunch of social justice blow-hards that think they’ve seen and thought of everything and can now preach the gospel and everybody has to listen to the garbage coming out of them
They went around vandalizing campus, threatening to kill people and telling whatever bullshit they had to to get people they didn’t like expelled, and for what? Some blasted ideology tho which they fundamentally owe nothing. And in doing so they literally embodied the very thing they proclaimed to hate in volumes (let’s not even mention the irony of the fact that they hate /anything/ much less brag about it) so copious it made people who own 500 guns look like a basket full of kittens.
Can’t say I blame them though, that’s just what happens when we force people that are on the dull side of things into an environment full of these “big” ideas. They probably never had a chance to shine at anything before and now all of a sudden they can run their mouth and get the dogmatic compelled applause and they develop an appetite for it. It’s just basic human psychology.
Of course I’m salty about it because I was frequently the target of these racist drunken crack-heads (yes, they were on basically everything, because of course; the mark of a true enlightened spirit is copious amounts of party drug use), so I won’t forget it believe me.
So in short, fuck undergrad, and I wish the best of a warm shower of bricks and asbestos for our brilliant friends.15
Date: Mon Apr 2 12:40:09 2019 -0500
4 files changed, 420 insertions (+)
69 insertions maybe?
Maybe I’m just immature4
Too many to list
-a collection of compiler tools that are immune to integer width and memory page accessibility
-a Unix OS that is immune to integer widths etc
-produced a few records for various bands, nothing that ever got super big.
-I took a pretty complete dump in the bathroom this morning that I was pretty proud of6
Dear certain not-to-be-named software developers:
When I download your game ”the elder scrolls: blades” and get excited and then I open it and find I have to create an account, that’s as far as it goes for me.
Close app, uninstall, better luck next time blood bags.14
Why do people always put “lol so true” when they post a meme?
It’s never true, and it’s never funny!12
My CS degree actively worked against me because of where I went to school. I did overcome it, but still, think it would have been about the same if I didn’t have a degree (in terms of what i know, I’ve been salaried as a c++ systems engineer since I was 16)4
I like how my company’s business conduct policy explicitly defines discrimination as treating somebody in a legally protected group less favorably.
Well what about discriminating against somebody for something that’s not legally protected?
What about treating somebody /more/favorably because of some “category” they are in?
Just seems weird to me12
He’s become so cynical watching crappy engineers write dumpster fires that every single time he is chatting with somebody in online dating he details the conversation and starts ranting about crappy software
“So what do you do?”
“I’m a software engineer”
“Oh I have this computer...”
“LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER”
Seriously he needs supervision when dating6
Frankly my opinion of chrome users is so low that I think if Firefox were just re-released under a different name with a hip new website and they claimed it was the fastest (the way chrome falsely does) dumb asses from all over would probably flock to it5
My taxi ride had a led billboard on the roof today and there’s a 65 year old man in front of me playing Pokémon go. What the fuck is even happening right now6
Listening to Microsoft try to explain that activex was the future and was not a gigantic security hole.
“But trust is an awesome buzz word!”
So glad that shit is dead, but man did it cause ten years of dumpster fires5
Did yahoo go under? YHOO is at 0. Sorry if this is ridiculously old news that I just totally missed6
Honestly I finished a ton of personal projects this year and got promoted at work. I’m not going to set goals for 2019, just going to keep doing whatever I’m doing now and enjoy it :)1
Whoever came up with the idea to wait for videos to buffer long enough that you can play through the whole video without interruptions should be shot to death and then dismembered, their bottom half burned and their top half used as Christmas tree decorations.
I have a 2 minute video, want to watch the first 3 seconds, and now have to wait for it to be 7/8 of the way buffered before the damn thing thinks it can risk playing any of it
Fucksake if I want to buffer the damn thing I’ll fucking press pause. Monkeys could do this shit.4
If you have time, please scroll through your feed and downvote all these recursion screenshots as reposts. It might take more than just me doing it. Screenshots of devRant by definition have no original content in case anybody was confused on that one.
Merry Christmas!!! You get a - - and you get a - -. Everybody gets a - -!!4