Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
dfox442873y@Condor yeah, I mean like I said it was definitely a bad practice. But I also think it’s a bad practice for test servers to include production data since test servers tend to have more relaxed security protocols and mistakes can lead to real users getting sent emails and other issues. Generally I think it’s good to have fake data that mimics prod usage, but I think either way you still run into issues sometimes with things like third party integrations and having a proper test flow.
To me nearly something similar happened last night (when I had been working for hours and was very tired): I forgot that I had changed a line for testing and got nearly crazy when I didn't know why other code, that relied on the one with the change, didn't want to work even it was absolutely correct.
totoxto2653yI was just starting out with Jest for testing and wanted to mock out a class that sent metrics, I did the mocking and added a console log to the method that sent the metrics to make sure it didn't run. I don't know what happened, probably some rushing to help with some other task or something. But after a heavy rebase some weeks later to get the tests ready to be merged in I fire up the app locally and send a request to it to check that the response looks right and nothing crashes. Reading the output afterwards I'm greeted with a "Shit, this is called" console log. Good thing I noticed before it was merged.
Will test it in production.
donuts230083yLol.... This was sorta what happened in my old team when everyone left and I took over the whole project. First REST server deploy crashed the whole thing because apparently the devs never checked in the changes for many many releases... They just build on their local and copied to the server...
Eventually I matched the logs to figure the immediate issue and reverse-engineered out all the diffs. That fixed the immediate release...
Then I learned about WinDBG and IlSpy and used them to decompile the previous PROD server.
Back then I was an Junior/Intermediate Dev... Didn't get much thanks though I feel I should've been immediately promoted to God...
Yeah, we had the same problems, this often happens when you hire someone new ... We solved that issue with free Redbull cans in the office
Need staging servers!