Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Steam downloads games over plaintext, so can I whireshark a game and get it for free then?
For people who think/find that open source solutions are always better than commercial/paid/proprietary ones, you are not going to like this rant.
I'm starting to get really fucking fed up with people always, whenever I see someone (including myself) mentioning that an open source solution which is an alternative to a closed source one, saying that it's shit.
I've had countless encounters on here (also irl) where someone mentions that an open source solution (GIMP or Libre Office for example) is shit by default while they've maybe (or probably?) not even used it themselves.
Also people going "you can't even compare those two as for what they can do/features/functions". I'm definitely not saying that those open solutions are perfect. But to call them worthless or shit and/or to say that you literally 'cannot compare them' or that the open solution just doesn't work as a *FACT* is fucking bullshit.
Let's take GIMP for example, the use case of a friend of mine:
- He works both with macOS and Linux Mint, he *needs* a design/photo editing tool which is cross platform. (or at least one which works on macOS+Linux)
- He does not mind paying for software but he prefers to use software which is free as in freedom because he also likes to tinker with the software (a lot of people find this argument bullshit, I noticed on here. Why is that? It's a valid reason. Maybe not for you but we're not talking about you right now).
- He likes Photoshop but due to Linux incompatibility and the fact that he can't tinker around with the code, it's not an option for him.
- He'd gladly go for paid software but GIMP fills all his design/photo editing needs (also the more advanced ones but don't ask them to me because I have no fucking clue how that shit works)
- GIMP *just works* for him, he never has trouble with it.
Let's take Libre Office, my own use case:
- It *NEEDS* to work on Linux, which Libre does.
- It *HAS* to be open source, ethic/moral thingy; Libre Office is open source.
- It doesn't need to work complete magic but it needs proper basic document and 'excel' sheet functionalities which is the case with Libre and it works *for me*.
- I don't mind paying for it, will probably donate in the future (seeding the macOS+windows+linux versions fulltime at the moment)
See, for our use cases, it works very well. So why go into "it's no match for proprietary alternatives" mode right away? It actually is, as you see in the examples above.
Please stop saying that those solutions *don't work* or *are shit* because they do work and are useful for me and loads of people around the world.
Do they have *ALL* the features which their proprietary alternatives have? Maybe, maybe not, maybe they're missing some and maybe they even have some features which the proprietary alternatives don't have, I haven't checked out every feature.
I'm not saying that it works for you, for the record, I'm just saying that just because for you it is a fact that they're bad/shit/hardly working, doesn't mean they are for others.16
Recently I got into contact with the supplier of that 500W power supply that I've been servicing earlier, as I lost my pictures of the disassembly process with that craptacular Nexus 6P (didn't back them up.. terrible sysadmin, am I not?) and wanted to get the circuit diagrams of this thing in order to repair it. Sales girl wanted to give it to me but she'd have to ask the factory people.. and of course those people denied. As if I wanted to use this for anything but to repair my own bloody unit.. pieces of shit.
So I started considering buying a second one, in order to repair my current supply that I've already spent half a week on to document its components, desolder it, clean it up and resolder it (and replace some resistors here and there with better ones from my own assortment). And the project had to be paused because I lost the stupid pictures and couldn't for the love of God figure out how there's supposed to be a jumper near BD2.
Just now going through my notifs..
"Someone ++'d your rant!"
A rant that I completely forgot about.. https://devrant.com/rants/1757297. It's a perfect picture of the supposed jumper near BD2 that I was scratching my head about for so long. Turns out that it's just a dupe of the LF2 lines that I erroneously wrote down twice. DevRant, it's good for more than just venting, haha! Time to restore from a cloud backup XD4
Friend - Could you develop a Website for me ?
Me - What exactly for?
Friend - (Explains what he wants) and the name of the site should be eventsomethingmanagement.com
Me - oh for that you'd have to buy the domain name, and host your site there
Friend - I thought you'd do all of that
Me - Seriously? NO
Friend - I thought you were an engineer
Me - :|6
I damn love devs. The humor, the devs easter eggs...
Have you ever wondered what 'git' stands for?
try 'man git' ;)3
YES ! I am Xamarin Certified Mobile Developer! 🎉🙌🎉
This was really a great journey for me, a lot of new stuff learned. I need to say thanks to all great Xamarin University lecturers about the great content.10
Hello, my name is Iván, I'm new at devRant and I don't even know what is this exactly. But since I've seen many photos of people's workspace, I will do the same as greeting. I hope to be welcome. Please visit https://avalos.robotronica.mx for more info about me.24
Windows, you fucking idiot! You scheduled that damn update and now you have the balls to ask me what happened?!5
I absolutely love Lambda expressions.
Except for when I didn't write them myself or they are not commented.
Iphone 8: no headphones
Iphone x: no home button
Iphone 11: no speakers
Iphone 13: no camera
Iphone 15: no screen
Iphone 16: no phone6