7
zemaitis
17d

Long story short I joined this company as a junior after 1.5 years of a break from development. Before that I worked for almost 3 years in the required stack. We agreed that if I do well after 3 months probation period I can ask for a raise.

It turned out that Im doing better than half of my team so 1 week before probation was about to end, I put in my raise request. Got nothing but strong feedback, even managed to burn myself out a couple times.

Now since the request 11 weeks passed. Our HQ which has the final say about the raise is overseas. Im getting excuses about summer: allegedly because of summer some people in the appproval chain have vacations so this process is taking a long time. This is the excuse they are giving to me.

Right now Im getting really pissed off and resentful because this drag is becoming unnacceptable. Also being in a new scrum team filled with total juniors complicates everything a lot. Im not having the best time here. But at the same time I dont have any savings actually am in debts and currenty barely am able to survive paycheck to paycheck to I cant just quit on the spot.

Had I known that they will drag this out that much, I would have applied to other places and presented them a counter offer. Or at least bluffed from the start in order to speed the raise proccess up.

Should I give ultimatum to my manager?

Im hesitant to do that because up until now we had a decent relationship and he seems like a nice guy so I dont want to rock the boat.

Or should I bluff about having a counter offer, so he would speed things up? But what happens if he asks me to forward him evidence of my received offer?

Comments
  • 9
    You have 1 more month of summer left to get that counter offer. Go fishing. And when you have smth solid - you will not need to bluff.

    Getting an offer doesn't mean you have to accept it ;) and if you pose yourself to your manager as ultimately annoyed by the situation, they may be concerned not to call ut a bluff.

    Start whining yesterday :)
  • 7
    Don't bluff or put down an ultimatum just yet - people are lazy f**ks and because your top brass is overseas ... it's very likely just a bad set of circumstances. I of course don't know all the details, but it may be a bad idea trying to strongarm and risk them just pulling the plug on you because hiring some other schmup in your place is "easier"... and guess who'll have to train him, while continuing the daily assignments (hint: you).
  • 3
    For all you know, they've not even heard of you overseas but are fully prepared to accept a raise.

    See if you can make the manager know that you're in a tight spot and that there's only so much waiting you can do before that raise, which you've been waiting for, has to double to cover all the incurred costs (debts and/or penalties for missed payments). As it was already suggested - freshen up your CV and go start applying for more positions. If the promised raise never rolls around, you can submit your letter of notice and remind them that you warned them about this.
  • 3
    Don't go around loudly advertising that you're unhappy with the lack of raise - if you like the workplace and pay is the only issue, instead, show that you want to continue working for them and are willing to discuss the situation rather than go for clear-cut yes-or-no type solutions (again - remember that someone along the chain could just go "f**k it, I'll deal with this when I'm back - hire someone in his place"). Or worse, someone gets this decision delegated to them because the person normally in charge is on vacation ... so you get the request denied, while normally you'd have gotten it accepted.

    Additionally, you can present them with actual numbers after you've had a couple of interviews if they're not willing to give you a satisfactory raise (basically, that's when you can try to strongarm them).
  • 3
    @theKarlisK I guess it depends on a company and the mgmt. I've had an unpleasant experience with a large corp and believed their promises for ~half a year. Eventually, I got an offer elsewhere and they still claimed "we cannot make this happen just yet.. Stick around for another couple of months" (basically the exact phrase they used all that time).

    f*ck it. I bit the bullet and left that office of unkept and uncertain promises. Couldn't be happier :) Ever since no one's been dangling a carrot in front of me.

    But yeah, it probably depends on a situation and a company/mgmt.
  • 3
    Try to find a better company with an acceptable salary and if you find it just say ciao to this one. Some companies still don't understand that not taking care of devs is a huge mistake.
  • 3
    @netikras I agree, and as I mentioned - I don't know all the details. Initially my response, reading just few sentences in, was also "f**k it - leave now! You're being screwed over!' ... but it's very likely just a sea of bad circumstances that created a tsunami of s**t, no one but the company is to blame for allowing this to happen, but taking a deep breath before jumping the gun is always a good idea. If we're talking about a situation where the company doesn't consist of dips**ts or doesn't have a history of screwing people over. If this is nothing new ... f**k it - eject, eject, eject.
Add Comment