Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
The story by @orimligt reminded me of this: I was on an HTC Droid Incredibly and kept running out of disk space, so some insane sequence of events led me to try to store the Dalvik cache on the cache partition or something. I unpacked the boot image, edited the init script to bind mount the directory, repacked it, and...it bootlooped great.
I still had the boot image, but in my ~14yr-old wisdom I hadn't taken a nandroid backup. How do I flash the new image if I can't boot? The ROM wasn't even available anywhere on the Internet anymore.
After two days of tinkering, I finally realized something: I could take a nandroid backup, swap out the boot image, and then restore it. Lo and behold, it worked, and the phone lived to see another day (it still works too, of course also still on Android 2.3).
On that note, now that I'm writing this, I think maybe adb + dd while in recovery mode or fastboot flash boot would've been easier. But hey, if it works it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯6
Working on a mix of a toolbox/lxc-like container manager built on systemd-nspawn, and a really cool university research project that basically involves playing with quantum computing frameworks and writing out their comparitive pros and cons
Anyone here interested in a Pixel 3 referral code for $100-$150 off? I will admit I'm partly doing this for an ulterior motive (store credit), but hey, the Pixels are pretty great devices! I have the 2, and I've loved it so far.1
Google now shows the top rated Stack Overflow answer in the search results!
Maybe others have gotten this already, but it just seems soooo cool!10
Is anyone else getting a little irrated at the whole Microsoft/ICE thing?
Apparently there's now a petition amonst developers who say they'll leave GitHub if MS doesn't drop the contract: https://github.com/selfagency/...
Now, my question is...why? I understand the humane concerns with the decision, but dozens of other companies have worked and still work with ICE with no controversy. But once Microsoft signs it, everyone loses it... :/7
Microsoft has *officially* acquired GitHub: https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/...
Points of interest:
- Acquisition for $7.58B USD.
- New CEO will be the former Xamarin CEO.
- They claim GitHub will stay an "open platform", and they explicitly said that deployment will still be available to any services, probably to ease fears of Azure lock-in.
- "we will accelerate enterprise developers’ use of GitHub, with our direct sales and partner channels and access to Microsoft’s global cloud infrastructure and services" <-- maybe an Azure + GitHub Enterprise bundle? That would be pretty awesome TBH.
- The presentation seems to hint at more direct cloud deployment services to Azure, AWS, and GCP.
- "we will bring Microsoft’s developer tools and services to new audiences" <-- I'm honestly not sure what exactly they're going to do here.
- Looks like they're going to extend the Marketplace somehow.
- First-class GitHub integration in VS Code!
- Still pending regulatory approval from US and EU (I don't see any troubles here though).4