AboutEnjoys programming in python, forced to work with C#(although its honestly not that bad either)
SkillsPython, C#, JS, Go
LocationPhoenix, AZ USA
Joined devRant on 3/31/2016
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Quack quack, I'm a duck.
And it makes me wanna quack.
Btw why did autocorrect correct "duck" to "fuck" twice?2
I once wrote a few really nice creative generic classes for an ASP.net project. Later, senior decided that we have to rewrite the whole thing, so he initialized a new project from a template and added my files in helpers/ as a starting point.2
Anything that allows me to forget my imposter syndrome for a few minutes.
- Coworker sending me a Slack message commenting on a function I sent him: "Dude this thing is awesome"
- Manager commenting on a data sync process I wrote: "I love that. Seriously."
- Myself finally solving a problem that had been eating my lunch all day: "In your face, computer!"
The worst kind of legacy code is the one in which a function body run miles climbing if-else ladders until nobody knows where the sky hits the floor, and returns when nobody is looking.
The best kind of legacy code is the one which is fully commented out!
Client asks for redesign to look more like XYZ site.
I deliver a redesign to look more like XYZ site.
Client wants the site to look more like his old site. But different. Gives extensive instructions on how to design his website to his liking.
At some point, I think I'll be owing him money for his design/dev services, not the other way around.
What is it with these people?5
Every time I want to post here about a problem, my social anxiety tells me what I should try before asking about it.4
Meetings are by definition not productive. I don't mean that sarcastically or cynically; if I'm not at my computer actively coding, debugging, or researching then I am officially off task.
Product management and financial types can have all the meetings they want, and try to involve me as little as possible.2
Uploaded app to AppStore for review by the farmers...
Got a message three weeks later that I need to upload more screenshots for iPad Pro 3rd Generation
Uploaded the new screenshot, and resubmitted the app.
Got a message immediately stating my binary is invalid: ITMS-90783: Missing bundle display name
You motherfuckers have been holding to my binary for three weeks. How the fuck did you accept it in the first place if the Display Name was missing, you filthy swines?
People love fast moving green text with a black background.
I have linux on my laptop and I have a script (litturally just 1 line) that outputs random hex data to the command line.
I ran it while WebStorm was starting up and I had people instantly telling me to shutdown all the pcs on the network xDD6
Dev of other system : Oh hey, we're implementing a change to this part of the system, will it affect you at all?
Me: Sure, I'll check it out. When are you planning to go live?
Other Dev : Oh it went live yesterday...
I've been noticing people making these 2-5 paragraph long posts on Linkedin talking about all their offers and who they end up picking. Usually pretty cringy and I stop reading by 1st paragraph. Is this actually normal and should interns be doing this?10
# Start a new job
## find out, on the first day, that the position you applied (data science)..simply doesn't exists
##find out that the environment is really stressfull and not pleasing as it was depicted during interviews
## quickly find an alternative to quit current job
#Start a third new job (3 months after quitting the first one)
##find out, on the first month, that the code quality is below zero.
###there are no unit tests.
### there is no possibility to create a unit test because the code doesnt folloe any pattern.
###there is no division between backend and frontend.
###there is no division between business logic and db in the backend.
###there is no division between frontend, business logic, and db
###find out that they deliberally built a framework to get frontend and backend togheter
###the project is built over maven, but there are no poms wellformed
###the project is approx 300k java lines....
##lose hope and start to find a new job....1
story points that equate to hours.
1 = 1 hour
2 = 1-2 hours
3 = 3-4 hours
5 = 6-8 hours
8 = Kill. Me.
13 = Now.3
My current job at the release & deploy mgmt team:
Basically this is the "theoretically sound flow":
* devs shit code and build stuff => if all tests in pipeline are green, it's eligible for promotion
* devs fill in desired version number build inside an excel sheet, we take this version number and deploy said version into a higher environment
* we deploy all the thingies and we just do ONE spec run for the entire environment
* we validate, and then go home
In the real world however:
* devs build shit and the tests are failed/unstable ===> disable test in the pipeline
* devs write down a version umber but since they disabled the tests they realize it's not working because they forgot thing XYZ, and want us to deploy another version of said application after code-freeze deadline
* deployments fail because said developers don't know jack shit about flyway database migrations, they always fail, we have to point them out where they'd go wrong, we even gave them the tooling to use to check such schema's, but they never use it
* a deploy fails, we send feedback, they request a NEW version, with the same bug still in it, because working with git is waaaaay too progressive
* We enable all the tests again (we basically regenerate all the pipeline jobs) And it turns out some devs have manually modified the pipelines, causing the build/deploy process to fail. We urged Mgmt to seal off the jenkins for devs since we're dealing with this fucking nonsense the whole time, but noooooo , devs are "smart persons that are supposed to have sense of responsibility"...yeah FUCK THAT
* Even after new versions received after deadline, the application still ain't green... What happens is basically doing it all over again the next day...
This is basically what happens when you:=
* have nos tandards and rules inr egards to conventions
* have very poor solution-ed work flow processes that have "grown organically"
* have management that is way too permissive in allowing breaking stuff and pleasing other "team leader" asscracks...
* have a very bad user/rights mgmt on LDAP side (which unfortunately we cannot do anything about it, because that is in the ownership of some dinosaur fossil that strangely enough is alive and walks around in here... If you ask/propose solutions that person goes into sulking mode. He (correctly) fears his only reason for existence (LDAP) will be gone if someone dares to touch it...
This is a government agency mind you!
More and more thinking daily that i really don't want to go to office and make a ton of money.
So the only motivation right now is..the money, which i find abhorrent.
And also more stuff, but now that i am writing this down makes me really really sad. I don't want to feel sad, so i stop being sad and feel awesome instead.1
Time tracking. 😡🤮 If I’m salaried and only working on one project for one client, why the hell should I waste my time making weekly reports of how many hours I spent coding, reviewing pull requests, and sitting in (mostly pointless) meetings?5
Having no process at all;
Just randomly choose between texts, FB Messenger, WhatsApp, voice clips, and spread over random points in time..
If you do this to me: Yes. I hate you.
Needing to approve each and any brainfart open-source library. Having to manipulate transitive package dependencies to throw out dependencies with non-compliant license.
Most recent and visible trend for me is reuse everything. Nobody wants to have anything new, they just want new glue between old pieces.
I feel like at some point it'll become more shit than it's ever been. Partially due to the fact that it seems like EVERY school is trying to get the students into computer science at this point.
NOT EVERYBODY BELONGS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE.
I feel like some kids that are being forced to do computer science will basically be like "huh there's money in this, maybe I could do this" but they're completely shit at it, when they would have been MUCH better off doing something else.
Side rant, somewhat related actually:
I had a teacher last semester that has to teach one of the computer science classes starting this year (I was not taking her computer science class, it was an unrelated class). From what I've seen, she does not seem fit to teach the class at all.
She's supposed to be teaching some simple programming (no clue what languages, I didn't bother to take the comp sci class). And she knows that I know the stuff, so she would ask me about the simplest things. Which is 100% fine...if she wasn't teaching a computer science class.
She just does not seem fit to teach a computer science class. I'm sure that the school basically just threw her in there because they needed SOMEONE.
I'm honestly kinda scared for the students in the class that might want to go further into computer science, only having taken that class and having met the requirement for a more advanced class, but then being thrown into a class where they don't know a fucking thing.6
Well here's how I see things going:
Intel and AMD ditch their assembly architectures for Scratch, because drag and drop is very popular lately.
The Boolean is renamed to the biggot by SJW leaders for only supporting binary views.
You must first ask consent to add an item to a linked list, because forcing two items together promotes rape culture.
Apple removes the "h" and "7" keys on all laptop models and gives no reason for their actions.
Linus Torvalds grows an extra middle finger, and it still isn't enough.
Nintendo makes Mario gay and Luigi black to be more inclusive.
LG makes a curved monitor that curves away from you rather than towards you. People buy it in confusion.
Everyone makes the same ad revenue on YouTube, and it is rebranded to OurTube. Luckily, they were able to keep the color scheme.
People finally realize that machine learning is just math, and stop using it everywhere. (Just kidding lol)
AMD and Gucci merge. Nobody understands why.23
Facebook you little piece of shit.
We have a page setup for a band since apparently this is what one does these days. But oh boy is facebook annoying. Can you please stop sending me 100 notifications a day about fking post boosting?! What the fuck. We are students we don't have money for this shit. fk off! <.<12
Fucking awesome. The 'encryption backdoor law' in Australia went through!
Now, whenever served with such warrants, companies which are active in Australia will have to pay hefty fines if they don't give encrypted messages to law enforcement in readable form. No matter whether this means just decrypting it with the keys they have or pushing backdoors/inject code into the messaging apps/services in order to extract the contents.
Now let's see how much the big companies really care about their users! (I'd expect them to pull out of Australia but the chance that this'll happen is as tiny as about nothing)40