Joined devRant on 7/2/2018
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
For anyone reaching an extreme degree of frustration, what do you guys tend to do to reduce the anger?
What i've just realized works for me is to get a domain related to the cause of my frustration.
I'm really curious if anyone else does something like that.13
I made a php script to generate a powershell script that performs asset conversion. The conversion tool was designed to work via command prompt but i hate using it so i switched it up to powershell and after that i had to build a powershell script because running the shell exec function failed miserably, sad part is that just about to the end of the conversion, that ran in the background for a little over 2 days, i ran out of disk space so it stopped doing anything :( w/e i at least got what i was interested in.
I was just thinking that if i need to setup a log server i'd need to name it properly so this was my conversation with myself:
me: i should name the log server something relevant
inner me: call it log_cabin
me: that's not relevat
inner me: CALL IT LOG_CABIN
So this is more like an accident rather than a dissapointment but the thing goes like this.
I make multivariant stacks with vagrant, shell script loaded as stated in yaml config and every bit and piece done from there the only times it disapointed me was the first time i lost it and when i got asked to make it tomcat compatible, not that the person really needed tomcat but just because i called it a stack initialiser it must have tomcat support.
Got asked by a coworker for some help, looked at the code and told him it could be written better and show him the example.
His reply : "It's not easy to read for me"
That was ok but then, now here's the kicker, he asked another coworker to come and see which was easier to read.
You did what mate?
So of course i got pissed and went out for a smoke just to return to see my version being used.
WHY THE FUCK DID YOU ARGUE ABOUT READABILITY IF YOU"RE GOING TO USE IT ANYWAY???
Fuken fuk, never again am i going to offer optimization support to people.
So first rant, here goes weirdness, and also lengthy rant
So in my company we have the hr and accounting managed by the same person which also deals with all things employee related and she had a need for a way to extract a birthday from, what is in our country the personal identification number, things go great i get a formula that performs parts of the magic up to the point where the first digit of the number dictates the gender and century to be used when forming the full year, mind you only the last two digits of the year are in plain within the id number so i thy a number of ideas. After bashing around google sheets for a while ( i've got open office installed and formulas don't export well to the excel that person uses but google sheets does so i built it there).
First idea : make a few conditionals to check for the value so we have 1 and 2 for 19th century, 3 and 4 for 18th century , 5 and 6 for 20th so i go ahead and write my conditions and they fail, all evaluates to false, it cascades through the else variants up to the last one so i'm wondering if the "if" itself doesn't support the or operator, seems it does, next i think it's the bloody condition written wrong so i reevaluate my logic in php in a test script, it works as intended, then i think ok not the right function called, let's see the docs, docs confirm i'm doing it right but what was wrong was the way i was getting that first number, using left seems to produce a string although the base thing is a number, now i start searching how i can cast it, like you would normaly do when the data type is fried, value function appears to be the solution but it isn't working....now i'm thinking "ok so i have a value and different things to print out so let's look for a switch, maybe it can understand that" switch function found under the form of choice, i get it sorted but am stuck wondering why the heck was the if and value combination not working.
Simple answer to that : value doesn't work well with function results, a known bug listed by someone in a comment, a comment i have failed to read for about 45 minutes of trying to understand.
All in all it worked well for the person asking for it so it's nice.