Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "mentoree"
1. You don't code to add a feature or whatever. You do it to solve Users' problems. It's a User-centric system.
2. You read more code than you write. So help yourself and write code intended to be read.
3. If people don't know you did something, you did nothing!
4. Never answer a call at 3 am if you're not paid to be on night call-duty. You'll become the guy who answers at 3 am.
5. Remember the big difference between you and me is that I failed to do stuff more times than you have tried to do.
6. When you start shaving the yak, stop!10
I mentor two profiles (started in their master first year), and for 3 years: taking them with me when I have a job change and applying ShuHaRi to teach them. They are my firsts mentorees in France, and they are finishing the course.
And I'm SO proud of them, they'll be leaving my side (changing job). And starting their own journey!!
They'll go to very good companies, for really good jobs/teams. I gave them tears and blood for 3 years and now they are riping the results of their perseverance, hard work and commitment.
It's one of the things that I love in my job. Being able to do that, and to see them grow it so cool!!
On the other hand, I'll lose have to replace them... And it'll be difficult for the company to find good profiles. And I'll start looking for a new mentoree to follow.2
Every now and then I attend to previews with clients, and almost every time the clients make me think : "they can't be so stupid? Can they? And I start thinking that there should be some kind of minimum brain use time to allow people to wake up the next morning."
The worst part for me : the clients should be engineers... They might even have some kind of engineer degree...
On the bright side, one of my mentoree handled a denied of service error so fucking swiftly! He's amazing!!