Joined devRant on 9/1/2020
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Me: uses MS Edge with Strict tracking prevention
Every website: "Please disable AdBlock"
Why are you so fricken sensitive?
I need to get an anti-anti-adblock.3
Only math would be so bold to use an undefined value/parameter name as the argument for a function. I gave it an Uncaught ReferenceError.1
Saw this sent into a Discord chat today:
"Warning, look out for a Discord user by the name of "shaian" with the tag #2974. He is going around sending friend requests to random Discord users, and those who accept his friend requests will have their accounts DDoSed and their groups exposed with the members inside it becoming a victim as well. Spread the word and send this to as many discord servers as you can. If you see this user, DO NOT accept his friend request and immediately block him. Discord is currently working on it. SEND THIS TO ALL THE SERVERS YOU ARE IN. This is IMPORTANT: Do not accept a friend request from shaian#2974. He is a hacker.
Tell everyone on your friends list because if somebody on your list adds one of them, they'll be on your list too. They will figure out your personal computer's IP and address, so copy & paste this message where ever you can. He is going around sending friend requests to random discord users, and those who accept his requests will have their accounts and their IP Addresses revealed to him. Spread the word and send this to as many discord servers as you can. If you see this user, DO NOT accept his friend request and immediately block him. Saw this somewhere"
I was so angry I typed up an entire feature-length rant about it (just wanted to share my anger):
"1. Unless they have access to Discord data centres or third-party data centres storing Discord user information I doubt they can obtain the IP just by sending friend requests.
2. Judging by the wording, for example, 'copy & paste this message where ever you can' and 'Spread the word and send this to as many discord servers as you can. If you see this user, DO NOT accept his friend request and immediately block him.' this is most likely BS, prob just someone pissed off at that user and is trying to ruin their reputation etc.. Sentences equivalent to 'spread the word' are literally everywhere in this wall of text.
3. So what if you block the user? You don't even have their user ID, they can change their username and discrim if they want. Also, are you assuming they won't create any alts?
4. Accounts DDoSed? Does the creator of this wall of text even understand what that means? Wouldn't it be more likely that 'shaian' will be DDoSing your computer rather than your Discord account? How would the account even be DDoSed? Does that mean DDoSing Discord's servers themselves?
5. If 'shaian' really had access to Discord's information, they wouldn't need to send friend requests in order to 'DDoS accounts'. Why whould they need to friend you? It doesn't make sense. If they already had access to Discord user IP addresses, they won't even have to interact with the users themselves. Although you could argue that they are trolling and want to get to know the victim first or smth, that would just be inefficient and pointless. If they were DDoSing lots of users it would be a waste of time and resources.
6. The phrase 'Saw this somewhere' at the end just makes it worse. There is absolutely no proof/evidence of any kind provided, let along witnesses.
How do you expect me to believe this copypasta BS scam? This is like that 'Discord will be shutting down' scam a while back.
Why do people even believe this? Do you just blindly follow what others are doing and without thinking, copy and paste random walls of text?
Spreading this false information is pointless and harmful. It only provides benefits to whoever started this whole thing, trying to bring down whoever 'shaian' is.
I don't think people who copy & paste this sort of stuff are ready to use the internet yet.
Would you really believe everything people on the internet tell you?
You would probably say 'no'.
Then why copy & paste this? Do you have a reason?
Or is it 'just because of 'spread the word''?
I'm just sick of seeing people reposting this sort of stuff
People who send this are probably like the people who click 'Yes' to allow an app to make changes in the User Account Control window without reading the information about the publisher's certificate, or the people who click 'Agree' without actually reading the terms and conditions."8
Are there any apps for Windows that automatically inverts the screen's colours if more than 50% of pixels are white/bright colours or smth like that?
I'm sick of getting jumpscared by light themes.2
How am I supposed to know which fr*cken whitespaces they are…
The tooltips don't even display!
Plus, emojis get descriptive names in their tooltips. These characters' tooltips are JUST THE CHARACTER ITSELF.2
Lots of thumb drives. My laptop used to not have much storage and most of my files would be on those thumb drives.
My first one was 8GB, then 16, then 32, 64, 128, now 256.
Each time I got a new one I would copy the old files to it, kinda like these crabs https://youtube.com/watch/...
All of them are in a little box on my desk right now, I use the old ones for backups. I replaced the laptop's hard drive a few months ago so now I'm less dependent on thumb drives :)2
MY SCHOOL HHAS FOOD TECHNOLOGY AND GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES (GP MANDATORY TOO) BUT ONLY ICT AND NO COMPUTER SCIENCE
THE ICT CURRICULUM TEXTBOOK IS OUTDATED AND CRINGY
MY SCHOOL DOESNT EVEN HAVE ICT OR COMPUTER SCIENCE FOR IB