Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
sodaTab449364dDevrant may benefit from just removing the meme category altogether.
I can ignore a shit post here and there, but these memes are cringe af.
C0D460574364dClick these things. unless your on web then there's a feeds link up the top.
Remove 90% of the memes, the other 10% usually from new guys who want ++ for stickers 😞
And what's wrong with ++ beggars, not all these <--- ++ are from genuine content 😁
Even more annoying are the idiots who can't even properly categorise their shit because filtering doesn't work. I wonder how anyone can be a dev when he's already too stupid for a fucking multiple choice. Btw., that's disproportionately often Indians.
nitwhiz11572364dYou should've seen devrant in 2017
sdnotebook1364d@RememberMe The real question is, even if it is true: is this a necessary information?
I think that:
- it is irrelevant, so there is no positive effect adding this information
- it may subconsciously strengthen stereotypes, so there is a negative effect.
If you doubt the second, consider this: in germany many populists started using the term "criminal foreigner". They did not say that foreigners are criminal, but used this word combination and sometimes said "If you are a foreigner you are more likely to be a criminal".
Some years later we have more and more hate and violence against foreigners.
NarkoCat299364dYou are starting to argue about Indians. Something this post or devrant isn't about. (not sure about devrant, because it may become some weird forum soon)
RememberMe14093364d@sdnotebook I was merely explaining @Fast-Nop's statement, in a logical sense.
Also correlation doesn't imply causation, you haven't really shown that hate towards foreigners increased *because* Germans use "criminal foreigners" as an everyday phrase. It might have some effect, sure.
Also, if it fits the data it's not malicious stereotyping, it's facts, but I do agree that it seems to be outside of the scope of this rant (even OP thinks so).
Anyway, back to topic. A huge problem on devRant is that the -- mechanism was supposed to regulate that.
However, there are too many idiots who ++ everything. Also, if you actually use -- appropriately, your -- rights will be revoked. Happened to at least one DR member here.
On the other hand, DR itself is closed source, with one of the two standard outcomes: the devs lost interest, the platform is rotting, and nobody can step in to improve things here.
(The other standard outcome would have been selling the platform to some company.)
d4ng3r0u54481362dI like some memes and shitposts. But yeah, at least keep it vaguely on topic.
linuxxx154429360d@sdnotebook But why take offense? I guess that just depends on the person.
I'm Dutch (devRant knows this by now) and I joke about dutch stereotypes a lot. I also joke about stereotypes of other countries a lot.
I joke about religion, myself, beat the mental shit out of my friends and get that right in return but that's all good.
But yeah, I think @RememberMe and the others talking about this subject are absolutely right.
Like, a lot of tech videos I watch have Indian guys with heavy accents which I find extremely annoying.
But then, I regularly watch videos with dutchies talking English with a dutch accent and that annoys the living hell out of me as well, so what?