Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "no strict check"
So, I just created an account on a premium objective information website. It basically sells access to several articles on laws and general "financial relevant subjects". It is important for my work and they have pretty strict password requirements, with minimum: 18 characters length, 2 HC, 2 LC, 2 special, 2 numbers.
Without thinking twice, openned Keepass and generated a 64 length password, used it, saved it. All's good. They then unlocked my access and... wrong password. I try again... wrong password.
Thinking to myself: "No, it can't be that, maybe I only copied a portion of the password or something, let me check on CopyQ to see what password I actually used."
Nope, the password is indeed correct.
Copy the first 32 characters of the password, try it... it works...
yeah, they limit password length to 32 characters and do not mention it anywhere ... and allow you to use whatever length you want... "Just truncate it, its fine"1
I'm slowly migrating the primary e-commerce, highly outdated Joomla site at work to a licensed, out-of-the-box, designed for a printing company e-commerce system. The first step, in order to understand the system, is to migrate a business card generator to this platform. The original generator (which deserves its own rant) is for a very large and well-known client. In order to transfer to the new system, I have to recreate each business card in the specified format. However, the system requires PDFs made in Adobe Acrobat Pro. The original projects are from Adobe InDesign (which I do not have), so I have a lot of manual, very tedious work to do. Because the client is strict about their card designs, I need to remake them exactly. Well, exactly includes the font they used.
It's not as if we do not have the font at work. On no, we have copies alright. It's just that the InDesign projects, and the font, are on Macs. And the font is a PostScript file. The system requires OTF or TTF fonts. Which nobody has. So I spend my first week (last week) trying to get this paid font. I feel as if I was making a fiasco. We finally identify the exact font, even the weights, and purchase them. Today after lunch. Great! I can finally get these four cards finished. Timing is alright, I've had a busy morning trying to track down emergency issues that arose from deploying some code yesterday morning for a different system (my internship project from last year, actually).
I finish the cards. Not wanting to tackle the vertical cards or deal with the incorrect and inconsistent info on one card type right now (the client really doesn't need to know I'm remaking these and I don't need to tip them off), I start this other card from the same client. I get everything roughly in place. I even stay late to work on this to make up for lost time trying to get that font. I open the model PDF to check what font it uses, as it is different from the one we just bought, the one every other card from this client uses.
I check my computer, don't have it. I check multiple co-worker's computers, even old ones. Nothing. The Macs have it... in PostScript format.
I should have started on the vertical cards. Oh, and my Acrobat Pro trial says it has "1 day left". I'm expecting it to be dead in the morning. Which means I can't get any work done until the lady gets in office and purchases me a license, which won't be until after 9:30 AM....1