AboutSoftware developer interested in eventually making games. Currently doing Web Development and iOS.
Joined devRant on 8/24/2016
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
My university has impeccable data management. I needed to ssh into their Linux server for an assignment but it refused to accept my login. Which was weird because I could login to the same account on one of our websites just fine. I typed my password into a text file and then copy and pasted it into both logins. The Linux one failed but the website succeeded. After some experimentation it turns out that the Linux server only recognized my username if I typed it in all lowercase, even though when I created the account it had uppercase characters as well.
So let me walk you through the sloppiness that had to have occurred for this to happen. When I first created the account it must have ignored what I entered and just saved the username in all lowercase without communicating that to me. Then the websites that use this account must either ignore case for usernames or lowercase the user input before querying the database. Finally, the Linux server, despite knowing that all the usernames are lowercase, is case sensitive and won't recognize the username as I originally typed it in.
Can you guess what department manages the account, website and Linux server? The Department of Computer and Information Science. Incredible.2
Tfw the contractors in India are striking but you have a deadline to meet so the PM dumps all their work onto you even though you were already rushing to meet a different deadline.2
So I'm wrapping up for the day and right before I leave a coworker comes up to me with a problem. Our company uses barcodes to track some of our products through their development and we recently switched over to a new system for producing them. The barcodes for this particular product are supposed to have 8 digits, but the last 200 we printed have 9.
I immediately panic because I wrote the script that generates the bar codes and there had been a bug in the past where the script would add extra leading zeroes that weren't supposed to be there. I scramble and check the database, it would be a huge headache if our production database had been compromised with junk barcodes. Nope, all the new barcodes there have the right number of digits.
Next place to check is in the code that writes the barcodes to a text file for staff to print the physical labels from. Nope that's all fine too.
I ask the person who printed out the recent batch of labels to show me how the printing software reads from the text file. She seems confused by my question and shows me how she manually enters in the barcode range to the software. As she does this I watch her add an extra zero to the numbers. 🙃
Even worse there was an option to import all the codes from a text file literally RIGHT BELOW the manual option.
TLDR; Thought my script had screwed up our database, ended up being the fault of a coworker who didn't know how to import text files.1