Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Guy: "Hey I need a real quick script to pull some values out of an XML document...is that possible?"
Me: "Uh...yeah that's pretty simple if that's all it has to do."
Guy: "Ok excellent I'll send you some files and documentation."
Me: "Ok so is this like a one time use thing or do you need to parse multiple of these?"
Guy: "Actually it needs to run all the time, on this specific PC, watch directories for any files that are added, then generate a XLSX files of the values, and also log information to a database. Etc"
Me: "Oh that adds quite a bit of complexity from what you originally said. It's going to take more time."
Guy: "But you said it was easy."
Well fuck you...6
Before you're hired:
1. A binary tree?
3. Higher-order function?
4. How does event loop work?
5. What is prototype?
6. What is encapsulation?
7. Can you draw an algorithm?
After you're hired:
1. Hey, can you add auth token and login to our app?2
I'm actually starting to search for a new job and no clue about this so I'll just sit by and watch 😇12
Today I officially ditched PHP for Golang. I left my job where we were doing modern software with templating language for new and shiny Golang job. Was telling stories about how cool Golang is, and how PHP sucks. Felt good man... Wanted to do it for so long...25
2) Only work on open source projects so you can see what you're getting yourself into.
3) Avoid job postings that use the words "polygot" and "passion" in the same sentence.
4) Work for yourself. Build a product or service to make you money, and if it doesn't pay for itself sell it.
I """""accidentally"""'" found some security holes in my school's Windows public computer setup.
Every student and teacher has a personal Active Directory, obviously they should be able to only see their own right?
oh wait the directory up button in explorer shows me all of them and I have r/w access to teacher and student ADs.
Also, the command prompt, Run prompt ad Explorer path bar are disabled...
...but batch scripts work.
Surely I can't do something dumb like--- oh, regedit's blocked but not the reg command.
They use the-- WHY IS GPEDIT NOT BLOCKED
Well what the fuck.
(All of this was responsibly handled by emailing the tech department. They have an email just for this! ...got a bounceback "this person is no longer employed at XYZ School.")6
My PCBs that I designed arrived today! They're just to test how to use the Atmega32u4 microcontroller before I make a keyboard using it :)11
-When they ask for your current/previous salary in a job interview, tell them that you don't find that relevant or that you don't want to tell. If they insist on you telling your salary, GTFO
- When they are overenthusiasticly telling about all the latest technologies they're using without staying one word about legacy projects, GTFO. It's a trap.
- If you walk trough the developer room(s) and everybody is extremely focused and just programming like a zombie, GTFO.
- If they cannot tell you one single downside of the company, it's probably too good to be true.
That's about everything I can think of at the moment5