Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
rutee071492415dReminds me of when I disappeared from my previous company last November after they disbanded my team. My team members resigned one by one until only two of them are left. Those two are planning to leave too. Other project team members left for other reasons but my disappearance was a significant trigger since the management has been asking what happened and when I'll come back.
I visited them again two weeks ago to surrender my laptop. They used to dominate the entire floor but now there's just like 20 of them there, more than half left. My manager joked that it was because I left and it was since then that people started getting out.
Of course, that's not true but when it comes to my team members, there could be some truth to that. When someone disappears after a re-organization and people already expressed their unhappiness before that, it gives people confirmation that there is something really wrong. It's like a curse. 😄
deviloper202915dthe problem is that there are ALWAYS people in need of work and ready to do any kind of shit.
So old legacy survive, without even evolving.
I'd love to hear about companies destroyed because few developers left.
But I wonder if it happens so often. Considering the high turnover of our profession, my impression is that companies rarely fail because they cannot replace developers.
There is also something called "Bermuda plan": A way to finish a project is to invert Brooks' Law. This is the Bermuda plan, when 90% of the developers are removed ("send them to Bermuda") and the remaining 10% complete the software (Wikipedia)
acz09035115dI love that!
A few years ago, I was part of a 3-head team in charge of the flagship project at the company: I, a colleague (NN), and my line manager.
We had recently been bought by a giant "global technology group", and the new management was putting my line manager under pressure to deliver more and faster, and he passed all the heat on to me.
NN had been on that project for 5 years and he was good friends with the line manager, so he basically got praise just for being there, even though he spent half the day in the kitchen.
I, however, had moved to that project recently and was still in the process of understanding the most horrible code base ever (with literally zero documentation).
One day, he just fired me. He said: "Sorry, I need to deliver, and you are not helping me deliver." What he didn't know: NN had already decided to go and quit on his own only one week later. So, all of the sudden, my line manager was all alone and still had to "deliver".
He was fired a month later.
cprn14215dHonestly, use that. Make them an offer. Tell them they can re-hire you for quadruple of your old salary with half the hours. And margarita Fridays.
rutee071492415d@vlatkozelka The people who left can also refer the miserable ones who are still in the company to another company. One of the issues we had was a previous manager who built his own startup that can potentially become that company's competitor. He started poaching some of the developers from the previous one.
bols5934015dI don't want to rain on your parade. But they'll hire young inexperienced devs at a much lower rate of pay. You're merely a debit resource on some oik's laptop.
dUcKtYpEd201814dLegacy doesn’t matter. Someone will figure it out. If they’re in startup mode then yeah it’ll prob fall apart but if the business is well grounded then it’ll make it. Devs are replaceable unless the product is other worldly. My last job demanded devs to obtain knowledge over 12 different micro services. I built two of them so when I left or anyone left, it would be quite a blow. They’re still doing just fine but they’ve opted for rewriting rather then trying to figure it out as they brought new lazy influencers on board
nachocode581310dOhhh. That's why recruiters ask for 20 years experience when requesting entry level devs
Your Job Suck?
Take a quick quiz from Triplebyte to skip the job search hassles and jump to final interviews at hot tech firms
Get a Better Job