AboutBeta dev - still in school
Joined devRant on 9/17/2016
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Close to finish a Task that took quite some time and research.
Loose connection to Server.Try some stuff.. Eh, okay restart.
Can't login. Windows account is banned. WTF?
Now I have to spend the whole weekend with this close to be solved problem in my head..
Do you more experienced devs have any recommendations for books/online courses etc. about design pattern or "What is good code" - principals?
Classmate: I'm done with this
I read his code
Me: Good. But could you make that a little bit more.. readable?
Me: Or use one or two lists less.. and the naming
Classmate: But I need them all!
It's a square around a coordinate within given borders, not rocket science.1
We got a whole semester (≈70 hours actual time), let's do a MMO ..a little one maybe.
..We did a Memory in WPF
Paying quiet a lot of money(not having that much) to a private school that used to impress me two years ago.
Now I can see all the hidden crap:
- Project work is graded after written lines
- "Do this project with scrum" Got two hours in the room with scrum board in a whole semester
- Exams are pushed if the teacher is to lazy to deal with bad results. A 3 ( or C ) became best grade.
- They could not find a teacher for OS & Networks. So instead of 1 semester Server architecture we got 5 days.. 1 of them for exam (exam = final grade)
- Guy took part with us during the 5 days. "How did you do that?!? Doesn't work on my PC I think" - half year later he is the new Network teacher
- Surpassingly he sucks at that, being half a week ahead of his lessons by googling shit together. Can't answer a single question beyond that..
Once he created a multiple choice exam. Questions in a word document online, answers on paper. Not just that he never blocked the internet during the exam, he also publicly uploaded the document a week ahead. Securing it with a 5 letter password... Somehow we all passed that one with a pretty good average.
Besides there a some teachers who are actually really good.3
Do you guys think students should get points for bad code?
For me once or twice it really saved my grades when I wrote the ugliest, least efficient and least readable code because my brain stuck during a exam.. It worked so I got full points.
Since I'm relatively inexperienced compared to you people it's hard for me to tell which is the very best approach to a problem. But I know when my code is just shit and I shouldn't be rewarded with good grades for it.
Is 'basically working' worth anything outside of school?7
When I discovered the usage of (statement) ? : after two years in programming school, I feel like an explorer landing on a new continent.
It looks so much more like the cool hacker code from television. I can use it as a parameter for function calls.. and everywhere else.
But it makes my code unreadable.
But it's new and fancy.
What should I do?3