Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "been sitting behind a computer"
I have a Windows machine sitting behind the TV, hooked to two controllers, set up as basically a console for the big TV. It doesn't get a lot of use, and mostly just churns out folding@home work units lately. It's connected by ethernet via a wired connection, and it has a local static IP for the sake of simplicity.
In January, Windows Update started throwing a nonspecific error and failing. After a couple weeks I decided to look up the error, and all the recommendations I found online said to make sure several critical services were running. I did, but it appeared to make no difference.
Yesterday, I finally engaged MS support. Priyank remoted into my machine and attempted all the steps I had already tried. I just let him go, so he could get through his checklist and get to the resolution steps. Well, his checklist began and ended with those steps, and he started rather insistently telling me that I had to reinstall, and that he had to do it for me. I told him no thank you, "I know how to reinstall windows, and I'll do it when I'm ready."
In his investigation though, I did notice that he opened MS Edge and tried to load Bing to search for something. But Edge had no connection. No pages would load. I didn't take any special notice of it at the time though, because of the argument I was having with him about reinstalling. And it was no great loss to me that Edge wasn't working, because that was literally the first time it'd ever been launched on that computer.
We got off the phone and I gave him top marks in the CS survey that was sent, as it appeared there was nothing he could do. It wasn't until a couple hours later that I remembered the connectivity problem. I went back and checked again. Edge couldn't load anything. Firefox, the ping command, Steam, Vivaldi, parsec and RDP all worked fine. The Windows Store couldn't connect either. That was when it occurred to me that its was likely that Windows Update was just unable to reach the internet.
As I have no problem whatsoever with MS services being unable to call home, I began trying to set up an on-demand proxy for use when I want to update, and I noticed that when I fill out the proxy details in Internet Options, or in Windows 10's more windows10-ish UI for a system proxy, the "save" button didn't respond to clicks. So I looked that problem up, and saw that it depends on a service called WinHttpAutoProxySvc, which I found itself depends on something called IP Helper, which led me to the root cause of all my issues: IP Helper now depends on the DHCP Client service, which I have explicitly disabled on non-wifi Windows installs since the '90s.
Just to see, I re-enabled DHCP Client, and boom! Everything came back on. Edge, the MS Store, and Windows Update all worked. So I updated, went through a couple reboots-- because that's the name of the game with windows update --and had a fully updated machine.
It occurred to me then that this is probably how MS sends all its spy data too, and since the things I actually use work just fine, I disabled DHCP Client again. I figure that's easier than navigating an intentionally annoying menu tree of privacy options that changes and resets with every major update.
But holy shit, microsoft! How can you hinge the entire system's OS connectivity on something that not everybody uses?9
Upgrading. We like to upgrade our stuff, whether it's software, operating systems or hardware. When it works its great but when it dosen't...
All my BAD experiences have been with upgrading.
One day I was using Jumla (a CMS) that controlled a big online clothing store. Noticing that Jumla was 0.01 versions behind I decided to 'upgrade'. This caused the entire site to break, maxed out the space on the server and eventually lost my job and that day the company supposably lost $10,000.
Today's f#ck up made me write this rant. Me and a friend own a local development company and we have a small Digital Ocean server for client website previews (before they get there own hosting). We have a few projects going at the moment and yesterday we sent a few links to clients so they could see there new website. This morning I woke up, read a few emails and ssh'd onto the server to read logs and what not. I got a bit side tracked, reading about the benefits of Ubuntu 17. You can already see where this is going... I innocently Google: "How to upgrade to Ubuntu 17". Surprisingly after running the commands and downloading the updates it was worked well. Everything was working. Then I restarted. I waited about 15 seconds and tried logging in again. Timeout after timeout. Something was wrong. I checked the console via the online Dashboard and see a page full of Kernal errors. I contacted the hosting people and they were able to help by referring to some guides but after 5 hours of cranking through errors and not winning I give up.
*Email from client*
The website you sent via link isn't working, can you fix this as I would like to show our CEO,
I destroy the droplet (server), making a new one. I have to setup and secure the server. Generating new SSH keys, new user accounts as well as installing AND configure Apache, PHP and MYSQL. I then had to upload 5gb of backups via SSH (not fast), go through each clients backup, including web files and databases and distributing where it needs to go.
Discovering that one of the DB's name changed last week and therefore our backup script failed to save it, we were forced to rewrite 10 pages of website content.
From 10 yesterday morning to 2 this morning, a total of 14 hours (I think) sitting in front of my computer trying to fix a problem that would have never occured if I didn't "upgrade"8