Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "licencing"
OCR (The exam board for my course) are fucking thick in the head when it comes to anything computing.
- I get a mark or two for saying open source software is worse than thier propritary counterparts
- ALL open source software forks must also be make open source. They spend so much time going over the legal stuff BUT HAVE NEVER HEARD OF OPEN SOURCE LICENCING!
- One exam paper had a not gate picture with 2 inputs...
- I have to differentiate between portable and handheld! YOU MEAN HANDHELD DEVICES ARE NOT PORTABLE!?!!?!?
- In level 2 education, OCR say 1 MB = 1024 KB - In level 3, they say 1 MB = 1000 KB, and 1 MiB = 1024 KiB, and expect you to differentiate. Why do you expect the wrong answer in level 2!?
- INFORMATION FORMATS AND STYLES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS! If you look up synonyms for "style", "form" is there, and if you look up synonyms for "format", "style" is there.
- When asked for storage devices, I have to say "smartphone", "tablet", "desktop PC" - I mean yeah they store data but when you ask me for storage devices I will say "hard disk drive", "solid state drive", "SD card", etc. >.>
I could probably go on an on about this...
I sure do love being asked to copy-paste existing HTML/JS/CSS and being asked to just tweak it here and there, and then wait for other people's incompetence in copy-pasting... I sure do love being stuck with this sort of "education" ._.4
I am working in a speciffic engineering team. We are using tools the company has bought and has separate teams administrating them.
Tool X is malfunctioning, throwing server-side errors (some .dlls are mentioned in the err msg)
Me: XAdmin team, there are some suspicious errors and I cannot achieve desired results using tool X
XAdmin: Let me see
XAdmin: I have checked a few forums and could not find a solution. Please log a vendor case
Me: Vendor will most likely require some techical info, some licencing info. How do I go about that?
XAdmin: reach out to the vendor, they will schedule a call. Forward that call to me
Me: *for shits and giggles, register a bogus account at vendor site, try to log the SR*
Me: XAdmin, while logging a SR I am asked for licencing info. What is the aaa, bbb, ccc info of your licence?
XAdmin: *crickets mating*
wtf buddy... How can you call yourself Admin of tool X and ask your customers to log vendor cases for you.....? WTF are YOU there for then??
I'm still WTFed. Like wtf....
EDIT: the guy I was talking to is XAdmins' team lead1
Alright got an idea I have for my game engine that I'd love some input on...
So the engine has emphasis on user made content and openness to that content (EG. open source dev tools and no licencing of art) but I also want to try and build a basic ecosystem with the engine and one way I'm doing it is with cross game mods (Take a mod from one game and drop it in another and it just works... Famous last words) but something I want to try is a companion app for the engine itself...
So it'll have a custom written save system baked in engine to make progress saving and the like simpler for the end user, thinking about building an app for smart watches and phones that would connect to the engine and actually back up and sync local saves to the app and vice versa as long as they have a connection (Hotspot your phone, bluetooth or wifi) but allow you to manage some data within the app by building a basic API to let devs show the user information about the save and the game by adding description, thumbnails to distinguish games and the like...
Just want opinions if it may be a good idea to invest some time into and if anyone has idea's that could make it better.6
The code is under "GNU General public license as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 or any later version" and I used it as a reference.
Should I redistribute the my new code under the same licence and make the source open? Should I make just the component open source or the entire app?2
Let's asume I wan't to use software X. I notice software X is open source.
How do I validate that said software doesn't do shady stuff?
Is there some kind of platform which lists the audits of each software or alerts the internet if shady stuff happens?
I know about alternativeTo.net, where you can find software alternatives with licencing filters. (Which is great btw) but I'm missing proper validation of open source software...7