Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "mobile optimization"
How I play mobile games:
-Try to hack it to get infinite $$$, God mode
--Yes: play til bored or "finished" (they never finish)
Is this efficiency optimization, maximizing utility, or cheating?17
I was just checking a website that a friend had designed for them a couple of years back and I was astonished at how many things were wrong with it:
- No mobile optimization, zero, null, void. There were 20px margins on either side of all the content (including navigation).
- Font size was 12px. Who does that anymore? Isn't 16px a given?
- The h1 element of the website was an image wrapped in an h1. I'm sorry but Google has no clue what the website is about.
- No meta tags, none at all. No keywords or description. The website is 2 years old and it's not even found by Alexa and my website in comparison is two weeks old and I can pretty easily see its ranking and search traffic.
- The speed of the website is abysmal. The tool that Google provides scored a 2 and a 4 for mobile and desktop respectively. This is terrible.
...And I am sitting here doing nothing important with my life, pointing all of these things out, fresh out of college, while some incompetent jerk made a fairly terrible website and was paid a reasonable sum of money for it. This is just sad...3
I've seen several rants on here about poor documentation on great libraries. Well I just spent 9 hours in a car today and I realized that even the ones that have great documentation absolutely SUCK at being mobile friendly. I'm no web developer but how freaking hard is it to optimize your stupid website for small screens??? There are a million frameworks out there you can choose from PLUS it's almost entirely text so it can't be that hard!! I have to zoom in about 300% to be able to read it, then I have to scroll back and forth because it no longer fits on the screen.
Tl;Dr This guy thinks apple is poised to switch the Macs to a custom arm based chip over x86! He's now on my idiot list.
"They've made a custom GPU", great! That's as helpful as "The iPad is a computer now", and guess what Arm Mali GPUs exist! Just because they made their own GPU doesn't make it suitable for desktop graphics (or ML)!
"They released compilation tools right when they released their new platform, so developers could compile for it right away", who would be an idiot not too...
"Because Android apps run in so many platforms, it's not optimized for any. But apple can optimize their apps for a sepesific users device", what!? What did I miss? What do you optimize? Sure, you can optimize this, you can optimize that... But the reason why IOS software is "optimized", and runs better/smoother (only on the newest devices of course) is because it's a closed loop, proprietary system (quality control), and because they happen to have done a better job writing some of their code (yes Android desperately needs optimization in numerous places...).
I could go on... "WinTel's market share has lowly plataued", "tHeY iNtRoDuCeD a FiElD pRoGrAmMaBlE aRrAy"
For apple to switch Macs to arm would be a horrible idea, face it: arm is slower than x86, and was never meant to be faster, it was meant to be for mobile usage, a good power to Wh ratio favoring the Wh side.
- Android Games! One idea I have is similar to COD Black Ops Zombie mode for mobile in multiplayer mode. I've already completed some Unity tutorials and pretty much learnt how to build games. Never got down to building one though :(
- Real time graphics rendering and optimization. Think Anti Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Tesselations.