Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "cash register"
I can’t count money as quick. I don’t know how to operate a cash register. I’m bad at following small tasks in the kitchen. Ex: girlfriend yells at me for putting unstrained yolk in recipe (after straining it).
I can’t lift heavy stuff. Out of breathe helping my mom move. My uncle told me, “if you can’t do that, how can you work?” Then he touts his son around proudly for being in the army. I felt like shit for years.
My cousins told me to get a job at McDonald’s to learn the value of a dollar. I spent all this time studying and hadn’t found a single job at the time (not that I was looking). I was living off financial aid and some income from an app that sold for a dollar on the App Store.
I would mess up if I worked there. It was depressing guys. These people who worked at McDonald’s and Starbucks. It was like a cool club that I couldn’t be a part of! I wanted to be that smooth barista at Starbucks with a smug look on my face. Making coffee for all the ladies and writing hearts next to their name on the cup.
The responsibilities of going to work day after day and blowing your paycheck at a meal at Denny’s with your friends. Complaining about not getting enough hours and talking about adult stuff! Sigh sigh sigh. Oh and taxes! Let’s complain about taxes on a single W-2 just for the hell of it (not sure why they do this when you can file a simple 1040EZ) even though we get a refund.
After many paid internships (roughly 3), now I may be receiving an offer that is 100k+ with a 401k and all benefits I can imagine. Free food up the wazoo. Gym on site. Happy hour Friday’s.
I brag about taking a shit for an hour at work and coworkers don’t give a shit. Or taking a day off to do personal errands anytime.
Having my own place in a nice area (though the cost of living is enough to take care of 3 families in another state). Supporting my girlfriend through school and helping her with her dreams of art.
Going to fancy dinners and not worrying about the bill afterwards.
Accidentally damaging my 2017 Honda Accord and not giving a fuck because I can pay $900 for repair with less than a week of work.
But I can’t help but think that all this time..
I could’ve just quit and worked at McDonalds. I could’ve been one of the cool kids..6
My company decided to hire a new director at the electronics shop. There are certain hours when we have a lot of clients. So the guy had to man a cash register.
Client: I need 2 kilo resistors
The client obviously needed resistors of two kiloohms.
The director rushed out to the warehouse and came back with 2 kilograms of resistors to the gram
How can someone be so retarded! ¿4
The time when I've felt like a badass, was when I was bored at a Birthday party at restaurant.
I didn't want to use my mobile data, so I tried to use the wifi of the restaurant. I didn't want to ask the password of the wifi, so I tried to get access by guessing. At first try I got it by entering "nameOfRestaurantCurrentYear".
Then I was browsing Play Store and there was a recommendation of an app (forgot the name) that analyses which the device is connected to wifi. So that got me interested that I installed on my phone.
So I played a little with and discover several Samsungs and iPhones connected to it (Some of the them had their real name next to the brand. It would be funny to yell their name out loud and they would be looking around.)
But there was one device that I didn't recognized. I searched on the web but found nothing. So later as I go to pay my part, I noticed that the credit card device had a wifi icon on it. So I looked over to the cash register and saw the name of the brand. It was the brand I didn't know of.
So basically they were using transfer payments over a public wifi.11
The whole "first job" and "experience" situation is fucked up.
How on God's green earth am I supposed to get tucking experience if you cock suckers won't hire someone for their first job? Like fucking hell.
It's not like I'm going for a "skill demanding" job... I'm trying get a fucking cashier job. I'm fairly certain I can run a cash register and stock the shelves of a store without any experience doing it. It's not exactly rocket science...
I just need some fucking money.6
Let me tell you a very sad, sad story:
I was standing in the line at Lidl (a supermarket here in Germany) and was listening to a podcaste peacefully, minding my own business.
As I was the next one, I took out my AirPods and than it happend:
One of my AirPods felt down, jumped from the floor into a shelf under the cash register and sliped through a FUCKING HOLE WITH ONE FUCKING SQUARE CENTIMETER SIZE!!! WHAT A FUCKING MISFORTUNE!!! No way to get it back. And the biggest shit is that Apple wants FUCKING-80-FUCKING-€ for one single new AirPod.5
OMFG eiwixjjwofiwprjcozkajh.... THE MOTHERFUCKING GDPR IS EVERYWHERE, I WENT TO A GROCERY STORE AND THEY PUT AN ANNOUNCEMENT ON FUCKING REPEAT, BEGGEING THEIR CUSTOMERS WITH THEIR "BONUS CLUB" CARDS TO SIGN A CONSENT AT THE CASH REGISTER!!! ON A FUCKING REPEAT!!! THE ONLY THING THESE MOTHERFUCKING ARSEHOLES ARE ACHIEVING IS ME GETTING SO PISSED OFF THAT I ALMOST SLAPPED THE CASHIER WHO ASKED ME IF I HAVE GOT THEIR "BONUS CLUB" CARD! CUNTS!3
My experience with Mac 💻
So recently I received a macbook from office to work. I have always worked with windows since the day i first touched a computer and recently tried ubuntu during the college for a 1-2 years on and off. When they asked which laptop to provide, i didn't gave any preference but only demanded one which could run our tools faster (mainly android studio , chrome and emulators)
And boy what an experience this world of apple is. for last 4 days, i have been using this, and i would describe my definition for a macbook to be " ITS NOT A GUI based OS. Its a glorified, more aesthetically pleasing, more shittier and irritatingly simple alternative to ubuntu OS that is running on a BLAZING FAST, premium hardware and awful keyboard"
Allow me to explain.
- THE UI: its beautiful and classic. I like all kinds of icons, but macOS' life like icons for notepads, admin access, camera, gallery etc bring back the memory of decades old UI when icons were more relatable.
- The blurs in every screen nd widget looks nicer than windows version of blur, which is also not that bad( again, as a tech user, all the uis are fine for me unless they are truely crap like recent gmail and other google icons)
- ITS HARDWARE . its true, there os is so optimised that i have never seen an android studio emulator run this fast. Like, this little guy is what i5 something with 8gb ram and 256 gb ssd? I have a windows hp laptop with exact similar specs( i5 7th gen, 8gb ram , 256gb ssd+ 1 tb hdd) and i can never even imagine of running emulator +studio , and getting my builds in less than 20 mins. Here, the builds weren't even taking a minute.
- and what else? umm can't remember.
Lets get to the cons
- THE UI . not talking about the asthetics, but the OS itself, the graphical user interface (NOT) . Its super crap and I feel limited in this ui.
- From my experience of windows and linux, i will say windows is a true gui based system as for everything you wanna do, there is a software that will be exposing particular api/database/register entry/setting etc . Linux is a partial gui as it has limited apps and most work can be easily done with terminal.
- Apple is , at its best an incomplete gui. It has a very simple software base, like its file explorer, which can't open system files without managing permissions via cmd. windows peeps, you see the calendar in bottom right? yeah, be grateful for that, here apple's gonna take $3 for this as a third party app
- And what i noticed was that they have intentionally tried to make it a simple/restrained OS. You won't find library setting unless you press a particular combination of keys.
- The windows switching. omg, how i miss those. just hovering over an icon in bottombar in windows would show how many windows of an app are open. here its a nope from apple. just a dot , no matter how many windows you have opened for an app
- THE HARDWARE : Wait, i just said its the best, right? not too much. You would expect a company taking $1500 for a latptop and give some ports, but nah, fuck off with your hard disk, memory card and usb.
- and what's this keyboard? why can't they add a numeric keyboard :'/ i use to rarely move my hand while typing and now its jumping all over the place just to write a 10 digit phn number. Also am so much adjusted to basic keys like control, alt,fn, insert that its to difficult to map my hands to the new command , control-arrow and option. I am testing and trying out my old shortcuts on various apps and hoping i eventually adjust to this keyboard
- and ugh, the mouse. yeah , thank you for showing me those gestures we can perform with this, but no thanks. windows can also have almost all of those gestures with synaptics and i rarely ever used those
- the new touch bar is rarely ever useful as i have better speeds typing the word "useful" than just pressing it there. Maybe its useful for the software u use, but its upto the devs of those s/w to make this shitbar useful
- Thus to me, mac OS is an OS that is a mix of goods and bads . but its like , trying its best to hypnotise me and adjust to its quirks and in future become its follower and embracer, but i don't think i would be. windows has shown me what a gui world is, its file explorer has been my favourite place of stay. the ubuntu has shown me what a terminal based gui world is , and its file explorer (& terminal) is again my favorite place to stay.
so in future if i had to buy a new system, i would rather get my old hp laptop repaired until i have a big bag of cash . then i would buy a high spec custom laptop/computer with 64 or 128 gb ram/ i10 or whatever the powerful cpu is and shit tonnes of ssds and dual boot it with windows + ubuntu. Nope, not gonna be a apple fanboy17