Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "patch notes"
Android app update available! I wonder what they've changed? 🤔
Changelog: "We improved the app and made it better."
Well thanks. 🖕18
We have a 15-machine cluster that went down last night because one machine in the cluster went down. Apparently having a cluster for redundancy is just a nice idea and doesnt actually work in practice.
Also I shouldnt have to go to a vendor's forums to find out the bug that is causing my cluster to go down is fixed in a future version. It should be in the goddamn patch notes!!!
Does anyone else here play Player Unknown's Battlegrounds and is as blown away at how fucking terrible their dev team is? I mean, I get the game is a early access and that comes with a certain level of instability, but over the last few weeks I've gotten increasingly triggered about it.
Here's a small list of what they've managed in the last few months or so.
1) Upgraded their servers and somehow managed to make the game so laggy it's unplayable.
2) Changed the DirectX requirements secretly (not even in the patch notes), but not their minimum specs, leaving people with lower end graphics cards thinking they can run the game only to get errors on launch.
3) Introduced a weekly and monthly patch system, then released patches that consistently broke the game and made it unplayable until hotfixes were pushed. They then announced they will no longer be releasing regular patches after managing to break their internal testing system. Not that they were using it anyways.
4) Major bugs and memory leaks that everyone knows about have not been fixed in months and have been instead ignored to spend time on adding more important things, like adding car horns. The fucking broken jump mechanic has gotten me killed so many fucking times because it's impossible to jump at all but yes, what I needed was a horn.
5) Downtime in the middle of the fucking day, with no warning, for things like server maintainence.
6) Promising no microtransactions in the game until full release and then, surprise, adding them anyways.
There's so much more that these fuckers have done but now I'm far too triggered to go on. Anyone else agree with me or am I just raging solo? 😂4
What news sources or blogs do you guys use to keep up with your current stacks, or even use to get into other stacks? For example, I usually keep within the Microsoft world of things, so I spend some time periodically going through patch notes on .net or the latest version of vs. If I want to get out of my comfort zone Ill look at a blog like hanselman, or I used to look at spolsky's blog before he went pretty inactive.