Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "shitty weather"
Fuck you and your shitty updates Microsoft.
I never asked for a fucking weather app on my taskbar.
Why the actual fuck would I EVER need that shit? I have that on my phone already, same for my news, and literally everything else you try to molest me with.
Want to know why Linux is growing market share? It's because it's an OS first and not some husk that shoves content at you and screams "CONSUME ME!"
FUCK YOUR SHITTY UPDATES, AND FUCK YOUR PLATFORM OF PETTY METRIC BULLSHIT.30
1. So i tindered.
2. I got a really nice girl.
3. We chatted really long and good.
4. We tried to meetup it did not work because of our schedule. New
job on my end, she is a student.
5. I thought its over. Fine whatever.
6. She gives me her number.
7. We continue chat on whatsapp
8. Blablabla 3 days long, she gets bored and tries to friendzone me
9. I revert the shit and state i wanna be serious and there wont be a
friendzone/nice guy comin from me.
10. She happy and continues to chat.
11. I get emtionally invested in her.
12. We exchange thoughts dreams and music.
13 We want to meetup at weekend. I cant. Got a family wedding all
14. We want to meetup the second week.
I cant. Im off on a company trip. Again new job here.
15. So we say in the week after I get back.
15a. Before the weekend we need to deliver an rc and go all out to hold
15b. We deliver, but shit happens on the customer side. His fault but we
get the blame.
15c I go onto the company trip.
16. We chat and i send her pictures of the trip over the weekend so she
sees I care.
17. She seems fine. And happy.
18. I come back from the trip late night and need to work the next day
19. I work jetlag style. And try to fix the shit from last week.
20. I come home really tired and looking forward to date day tomorrow.
21. I cant do anything. My home looks like shit and the bag still
unpacked. I just eat and fall asleep.
I feel bad bcs my home will turn her down instantly if we make it to my
Need to hope that it does not come to this.
22. Date day comes. Today.
23. I wake up at 6 early to plan ahead to make sure my clothes are fine
and i arrive on time in the office to exit early.
24. I expect to check what goes on today in the city and give her the
location to meet and time.
25. I enter office and immeadetly get caught up in meeting planning, dev
questions and the meeting itself because the project is on edge.
26. We have a 5hours long meeting where people go on and on and on.
27. 3h later in the meeting:
my brain was fried and around 12 i go to lunch with some people.
28. Meanwhile the city is turning into a rainy mess of a shitty day. No
way I can have a nice walk with her like that. Bars and coffeshops are
just to boring.
29. So i eat to regain some sense and we go back to the office.
Meanwhile I am thinking all kinds of locations and stuff in my head.
30. Havent given her any update since a good morning in the morning.
31. We reenter the meeting. Things continue like before. The project is
on impossible demands and impossible timelines. Still we try to do our
32 3h later on 3pm I tell her i am in a long meeting and working on a
33. shes not happy.
34. I get a call from a relative
35. i need to go out and take the call. not good for the collegues.
again new job here.
36. family trouble, money trouble, goverment demands. I promise to
handle that tomorrow. Before work.
37. i get back into the meeting.
38. still super slow and no results.
39. need to focus but start to check for locations on my phone.
40. she asks me where i am
41. I send her my location.
42. she thinks i am saying she should pick me up!
43 i joke and say no definitly not.
44. shes pissed.
45. I decide for a coffeeshop. after work. and send her the location
46. She says to call it off.
47. I go all in and go romance style. I say ill wait there even if she
does not come to show her how much i care.
U know to avoid the lets do it some other time fuckery and then it never
47. She goes quiet.
48. 2h later we finish the meeting. Meanwhile QA foudn a bug we need to
fix because why not.
49. I got 30 minutes to find the bug and fix it before I need to go to
uphold my word.
50. I find out what to do, but it might break a lot of other things
without careful test and implementation. Collegues says he takes it.
51 I feel bad but I need to go. I even leave earlier because otherwise I
would not be on time.
52. I arrive 15 minutes early. I grab two coffee2go and wait outside,
53. Shitty weather, sometimes rain, sometimes sunny, cant decide what it
54. The weather is just like how I feel.
55. I wait 1 1/2h
56. I think I should feel stupid, For gods sake its tinder. People dont
give a crap, Enough people around why should I Invest so much into this?
But I dont feel stupid. Because this is how I want it. I dont want
appointments, I dont want safety. I decided for her and I went all in.
57. I send her pics from the sceneray as proof that I waited,
58. I think I blew it. She is still quiet.
59. Friends are asking me for plans for the weekend. I wish I could say
I already have some with her.
60. I feel lost right now. But my head says I put too much stress on
her, And i fucked up with the planning. I should have been more precise.
My head also says that i am putting myself into the victim role, which
is wrong always. Should I continue to reach out to her? Is there
something I could do still?69
AAAAAGH i am exhausted! I went with the stupidest decision, i am regretting every movement of it and yet moving deeper and deeper into it. Follow up for this : https://devrant.com/rants/2955584/...
There is a whole lot of rant in between that day and today, but the gists are:
1. I went through a series of stupid shit they threw at me, tried to be professional yet slacking at the same time, because he still wanted to hire me ("because of some hurry") and i was in a conflict to weather i want to get hired to this shit or not.
2. I eventually have agreed and have found somewhat of a way: (a) he's willing to give the salary amount I asked which was not very much but still a decent amount (b) he keeps making those inappropriate requests to do work then and there , but I give him my own timings and totally disconnect with him after that.
3. Those guys are the dumbest possible fucks!!! And they think they are dealing with biscuit factory labors(no offence)! I am getting the money but i believe i am burning my brain with those people.
They fucking don't even know how git works! they zip each version, then unzip and oh god what a mess! Their code base is so shitty its like some drunkard wanted to piss all over their app. And he won't give me access to code, I have to use anydesk to work on his machine, as if i want to keep that piece of crap to waste my memory space.
They are definitely not a startup, they are fucking government agency in the name of startup and i don't even know who or why is someone giving them the money. No designs, no decisions, just "take it from this app and paste it here", or, "this should be umm... i guess"... FUCKING SPEAK MAN!! Just to enable an autosuggestion on one of the toolbars, their backend guy wants me to make a getall request, and run filter functions on the client side! So just to make an autocomplete, 1 million search results would be fetched, converted to pojo, filtered and displayed on every letter stroke?WTF?is it even a correct system design?
after this internship I publicly declare myself a whore for good words and money . i need a shower8
There's little irritations that happen when working with clients over time that let you know that they're stuck in the past and definitely not the kind of client you want to have long term.
My personal favorite example:
"Can we put an icon that shows the weather on the banner of the website?"
Note: I don't make "websites," information portals, content pieces, etc.
It doesn't to matter what type of application it is; time tracking, HR, mortgage application, industrial control system, etc. I don't know why, but every single client I've ever had where I've been saddled with one or more people who have no business being anywhere near the term "stakeholder" asked for this stupid, banal, 1995 web portal fuckery. Their shitty little mushroom stamp contribution wasting everyone's time.
What's worse, they want it be prominent in the screen real estate. It can't just be a responsibly sized waste of space like the screenshot's top example (from a company whose entire business is weather, nonetheless). No, it has to be the busiest fucking thing in the control space, as in the example inferior.
Or maybe I'm just wrong and people desperately want to know if the sky is going to piss on them if they leave the cave.
Anyone else have a pet peeve in regards to recurrent, pointless functionality?2
My weather report just says "delete" for friday. ("Löschen" in german)
Seems good weather app, seems good! 🤔11
Idk if am learning nthe wrong things, but from what i have seen, speed in execution is the top thing that matters most of the time.
And am not talking about your program's execution speed, i am talking about weather programmer could write a code fast enough to impress the authorities and take the prize.
You are writing shitty code that is able to add the feature that your boss wanted in 2 days,no matter how unstable and fake your code is, you are good, and you can expect a promotion anytime soon
But if you are trying to write a code after dedicating time to research and following best practices that is taking you more time than the deadline, you can go fuck yourselves a letter about firing is coming right away4
Fucking windows updates...
Went to do a job on a tank in 18 deg F Weather with snow on the ground. One guy brought an ice fishing tent (very nice). This is next to petroleum tank. We got guys on top of tank waiting for me to get data using a Windows 10 lappy.
Lappy comes up and tries to get into bios to do a firmware update. WTF! I reboot and it does it again! Go to look for power adapter as it wont do update without power. Not in bag. It has to have power to do update.
So I drive back to shop (with guys waiting on top of tank) which is 5 miles away. I am pissed. Its snowing and I have to drive slow. I find that adapter. I get back to the tank and plug it in. The AC source (battery based) starts alarming as the lappy takes too much power. Fuck! But somehow it boots Windows without doing firmware update. Fuck you Windows!
I get my job done, but don't fucking trust windows at all. Had this been a field tech he would be pissing his pants. Useless shitty software you have zero control over. Now considering changing their OS to Linux for field work. I am rewriting their software anyway with something can run Windows or Linux.4
What're the pros and cons of job hunting in this recession market?
I'm in india and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to weather it out in my current place or go job hunting in the middle of a lockdown. Current place has a lot of scummy things planned including downsizing and pay cuts. They've already cancelled my promotion using the pandemic as a convenient excuse. I'm sure I'm good enough that they won't be let me go, but it's going to be a shitty year over here.4