AboutFreelance Android Dev by Day. Game Programmer with Unity by night. Long term ranter in my head.
Joined devRant on 1/10/2019
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
How did the pandemic screw you and your life plans? Tbh there are more serious matters connected with that but just for the sake of my lifeplan: I paid off my debts and was ready to start my travelling spree and visit the countries everybody already have been and maybe go nomad. But pandemic hit, and i am right now stuck in my life which is clawing its way to become my permanent reality.6
Hello. (Android) dev here contemplating about the future of my profession.
I am looking for a specialization or a field in my profession where i can be free of dependencies from GAFAM (The big five)
Basically software development is me only using dependencies and stuff they and 3rdparty people have created and then it works or it doesnt. Or if you dont keep it up2date it wont work because deprecation and breaking changes. I was web developer before and changed to android because of all the libs and frameworks one needed to wield for proper development. And now android has mostly become the same. Vanilla android is easy, but u start using google apis or 3rdparty services u quickly realize how far u get away from your actual usecase. Usermanagement, oauth, 2fa, userdatamanagement, crossplattform, offline, syncing etc.
I am pretty sure the topic came up before (dev fatigue, dependency fatigue) and most of you know what i mean but i might be the recent casualty here.2
Stupid fuck shit. I am living in a tiny apartment right now but have a better paying job to afford a better apartment where my fucking workspace is not in my tiny bedroom. I really need and wish for a dedicated workspace now because office is pandemicwise closed since a year, but guess what my hometown is having a housing boom and constant influx of rich young professionals or newly weds with lots of cash from them or their parenrs/family. And everybody is buyigh up apartments like crazy. If u want to have a good apartment now u already need to settle for life with a high mortgage or pay half of your salary away for rent. Unfortunately the pay does not accomodate for that but is on the level of 10years ago. Aaand as a single iam fucked royally from taxes and everybody else. Fyi: hometown berlin and Hamburg germany.5
Can somebody please explain to me what this company does?
Its kinda technical mumbo jumbo for processes?
Appearantly its pretty much worth because they been bought up by sap.
Sorry if it does not belong here. But i really dont understand these management process optimization tools and why they should be so important? We do our stuff with confluence and jira and thats it. But we are also a software conpany nothing todo with hardware...6
Looking for the most overblown fictional universe in any media which takes itself serious. XD
Warhammer 40.000 seems to take the cake. Any other recommendations? No reboots AND excluding MCU, DC4
Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2, Street Fighter 2. It totally blew my child mind to the point of no return.
I really believe we are heading towards a software armageddon. The amount of shit code in live apps and applications will fuck all of us royaly. Order your preferred horse size dildo today and start training your ass.3
100% Remote android development jobs guys?
Anyone any exp in that? I want to travel around when corona is over but keep on working full time and earn at least 70k eur. Is that feasable? Remote seems to be still for digital nomads Backpacker as far as i can see. How can i bootstrap my research into this? Fyi senior android dev with 7 years of exp in mobile software development7
Soooo what would be wrong for a developer to aim for a partner in a similar profession or the same?
I had my fair share of exp now and must say that i really love what i do and am really into learning and developing and applying all that I learn. I missed that drive in the dates that I had. I feel passion, purpose and understanding with what we as devs deal all day would be really helpful for a prolonged relationship. I dont wanna go for a power coupling but it would be nice to have ur partner on board no??3
Sooo cobol eeeh...?
Old legacy system still running ehh?
Eyes closed and hope for the best from management eh?
And now everybody needs them all, while simple ppl dont get their money managers just say sorry ?
Twas a timebomb and it will still be. Its hugely pathetic of those responsible to disregard their old systems and dont test them for the worst case.
Why am i trying here to deliver proper working systems with long term update schedules when ppl in charge suck with their responsibilities?3
My tinder date is playing journey on a ps4 pro 4k tv while i am taking a shit right now.
Needed something for her todo while i do my buisness...5
This climate crisis is slowly getting into my head guys😠. The shit bolsanaro and all other govs are doing is effecting my mojo.
I am working here and trying to do my best to deliver quality code while i must fight the feeling that ppl are betraying me (the govs). Its not my job to remind them of not fucking us over. I try to help by not becoming a criminal and getting forward with my life. Wtf is wrong with those in charge of govs?! On any project if you ignore the signs, u'll end up in refactoring hell or the project just dies. Getting out takes serious commitment.
Is everyone just gone crazy?
Here we all will get fucked, if we fail with project earth. 🤬😖👿16
1. So i tindered.
2. I got a really nice girl.
3. We chatted really long and good.
4. We tried to meetup it did not work because of our schedule. New
job on my end, she is a student.
5. I thought its over. Fine whatever.
6. She gives me her number.
7. We continue chat on whatsapp
8. Blablabla 3 days long, she gets bored and tries to friendzone me
9. I revert the shit and state i wanna be serious and there wont be a
friendzone/nice guy comin from me.
10. She happy and continues to chat.
11. I get emtionally invested in her.
12. We exchange thoughts dreams and music.
13 We want to meetup at weekend. I cant. Got a family wedding all
14. We want to meetup the second week.
I cant. Im off on a company trip. Again new job here.
15. So we say in the week after I get back.
15a. Before the weekend we need to deliver an rc and go all out to hold
15b. We deliver, but shit happens on the customer side. His fault but we
get the blame.
15c I go onto the company trip.
16. We chat and i send her pictures of the trip over the weekend so she
sees I care.
17. She seems fine. And happy.
18. I come back from the trip late night and need to work the next day
19. I work jetlag style. And try to fix the shit from last week.
20. I come home really tired and looking forward to date day tomorrow.
21. I cant do anything. My home looks like shit and the bag still
unpacked. I just eat and fall asleep.
I feel bad bcs my home will turn her down instantly if we make it to my
Need to hope that it does not come to this.
22. Date day comes. Today.
23. I wake up at 6 early to plan ahead to make sure my clothes are fine
and i arrive on time in the office to exit early.
24. I expect to check what goes on today in the city and give her the
location to meet and time.
25. I enter office and immeadetly get caught up in meeting planning, dev
questions and the meeting itself because the project is on edge.
26. We have a 5hours long meeting where people go on and on and on.
27. 3h later in the meeting:
my brain was fried and around 12 i go to lunch with some people.
28. Meanwhile the city is turning into a rainy mess of a shitty day. No
way I can have a nice walk with her like that. Bars and coffeshops are
just to boring.
29. So i eat to regain some sense and we go back to the office.
Meanwhile I am thinking all kinds of locations and stuff in my head.
30. Havent given her any update since a good morning in the morning.
31. We reenter the meeting. Things continue like before. The project is
on impossible demands and impossible timelines. Still we try to do our
32 3h later on 3pm I tell her i am in a long meeting and working on a
33. shes not happy.
34. I get a call from a relative
35. i need to go out and take the call. not good for the collegues.
again new job here.
36. family trouble, money trouble, goverment demands. I promise to
handle that tomorrow. Before work.
37. i get back into the meeting.
38. still super slow and no results.
39. need to focus but start to check for locations on my phone.
40. she asks me where i am
41. I send her my location.
42. she thinks i am saying she should pick me up!
43 i joke and say no definitly not.
44. shes pissed.
45. I decide for a coffeeshop. after work. and send her the location
46. She says to call it off.
47. I go all in and go romance style. I say ill wait there even if she
does not come to show her how much i care.
U know to avoid the lets do it some other time fuckery and then it never
47. She goes quiet.
48. 2h later we finish the meeting. Meanwhile QA foudn a bug we need to
fix because why not.
49. I got 30 minutes to find the bug and fix it before I need to go to
uphold my word.
50. I find out what to do, but it might break a lot of other things
without careful test and implementation. Collegues says he takes it.
51 I feel bad but I need to go. I even leave earlier because otherwise I
would not be on time.
52. I arrive 15 minutes early. I grab two coffee2go and wait outside,
53. Shitty weather, sometimes rain, sometimes sunny, cant decide what it
54. The weather is just like how I feel.
55. I wait 1 1/2h
56. I think I should feel stupid, For gods sake its tinder. People dont
give a crap, Enough people around why should I Invest so much into this?
But I dont feel stupid. Because this is how I want it. I dont want
appointments, I dont want safety. I decided for her and I went all in.
57. I send her pics from the sceneray as proof that I waited,
58. I think I blew it. She is still quiet.
59. Friends are asking me for plans for the weekend. I wish I could say
I already have some with her.
60. I feel lost right now. But my head says I put too much stress on
her, And i fucked up with the planning. I should have been more precise.
My head also says that i am putting myself into the victim role, which
is wrong always. Should I continue to reach out to her? Is there
something I could do still?69
Twas the moment while i was exposed to java on the commandline and windows editor and needed to grasp the shit to read input with bufferredReader and Inputstreamreader while my head was constantly spinning between the javadocs and the screen. In that moment my friend opened his eclipse and showed me code completion! And the fucking Screenreader class. I immediatly realized it was not only important to finish the assignment but also as fast and as lazy as possible!
Timecalculations and Datetime manipulation from UTC to locale where locale can be anything are by itself annoying but Javas Date and Calendar APIs always make me feel like "Seriously?! Fuck you! What do you want from me?! "
Wasting so much time right now to get a fairly easy app built as showcase for new customers and continue with my life!2
Currently collecting old Hong Kong Action Movies. Jackie Chan, Michelle Yeoh, Sammo Hung, Jet Li... Good Times :)1
I am doing some late night developing because I feel excited about my own project after a long slog of refactoring and ground work... and my IDE is getting weird leading to long compilation times :(
Dear World. I am doing my life-chores so please let me get my shit done for once!
I was this close to fall asleep content tonight...
Does anybody here have any casual affinity towards reading scientific papers? During my time at the university I was exposed to read papers and found them quite exciting as they were actually informational. Articles from magazines or online ressources about yet another "groundbreaking" new tech feel hollow. And theres to much noise from hyping, evangelists and other distracting elements.
I want to have a persistent game, where I correct all of the wrongs of the world in the past and the game then shows me how the present and future of real life would look like...
Say is the IBM Summit Supercomputer free for a telnet session? Stupid shit is playing petrus (Weather prediction) all the time...2