Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "web browser cache"
So I've got a few stories, but the first one goes like this:
>> Spring semester last year
>> Likely have the best grade in a front end web dev class
>> Has a file on a server that we used for this class.
>> Copies HTML file to desktop from server
>> Opens desktop file in VS (or VSCode, I forgot lol)
>> Opens server HTML file in chrome
>> Edits the file
>> Browser doesn't change.
>> "What to fuck?"
>> Clears cache
>> Doesn't change anything
>> Closes and reopens Chrome
>> Still no change
>> 'Yo what the fuck???"
>> Calls professor over to get help
>> Explains problem
>> Instantly realize I'm a dip shit and open the desktop HTML file in Chrome and see the changes I made2
Web dev prob:
When you modify a code then refresh your browser, It doesn't change anything and you think your code has the problem, Modifies 100+ lines and refreshed the page, still nothing happens. Asked someone about it, Fix? Fucking cache! Fuck you google chrome!10
It's not that big of a deal, but it's kinda embarrassing since I was one of the best students in the class.
Took a web design (HTML, CSS & a tiny bit of JS) class. I never really struggled; more like polished everything I already knew to become a bit better.
In class working on an assignment. So we have a folder dedicated on a server just for this class. The folder is accessible as long as you're on the school internet or using the VPN. So I have an assignment there. I drop it onto my desktop, because i had worked on it since the last time I was at this computer.
I opened the project in VSCode and begin making changing things. I opened the HTML file wasn't updating. "That's odd" I thought. Cleared the cache, opened and closed the browser. Still nothing. I called the professor over to see if had any clue what was going on.
My dumbass self was editing the file that was on my desktop, but I had opened the HTML file from the server. I felt so stupid but we both just laughed it off and went on.
Please delete your browser cache.
Wtf is up with this shit?
Maybe I'm just having a streak of bad luck, but in recent days, I ran into this particular issue time and time again.
First with one of our own products - the user appearently not always was shown the newest version due to stuff being cached in the browser.
Fair enough, we had our web-dev find a solution to that, which he did. Until this is rolled out, the only resolution is to clear the browser cache.
I also ran into this same issue on multiple other fronts. For example, there's a remote connection to one of our clients I had to establish via browser. The backend was a bit unresponsive, and somehow I ended up in a situation where my login was rejected. The only solution? Clear your browser cache.
Then we have confluence and jira in the company. Same issue. All of a sudden, I could no longer log in. Worked fine in another browser.
Delete your browser cache.
Is it just that most frontend developers out there are incompetent at what they do or is this stuff broken by design? I don't recall having to clear my browser cache very frequently - in fact, I'm pretty sure I haven't done it for years on one of my PCs at home. What changed?
Ah well, maybe it was just a streak of bad luck. But still ...
Ouuu today I experienced how web-devs must feel...
Task: create a form to answer questions with yes/no and a database behind it to collect stats.
So login to phpmyadmin
1. Wrong password got error message
2. No error message, still at login screen, but in address I see a token
3. There must be something wrong
4. Reinstalled phpmyadmin and mysql-server several times, wasted one hour on it - still stuck at login screen
5. Tried different browser and it fucking works!
6. Realized that cleaning cache fixed it...1
mobile browsers not refreshing stylesheets.
this is the worst thing that mankind ever did. I mean, when you are trying to design a website and the changes you make to the css are not loaded by the browser, you have no clue wtf is going on. There is no way to make the browser refresh the stylesheet. Reloading, entering the url manually, reopening the tab, restarting the browser, nothing works. The only fix is to manually clear the app's cache in android settings.
The strange thing here is that at first the stylesheet gets refreshed like it should, but after some time the cache seems to be capped and it wont load sh*t...
This is soooo frustrating :(((3
i start to believe that cache odd the browser cache is the worst and in the same time most brilliant invention.
because it's a nightmare to serve the right content at times but other time is the perfect escape host for any problem. ;)
In the war on bandwidth consumption, work has cut out torrent access. So I, like a child look for porn (actually I was doing that too), found a way around. I use http://filestream.me to cache my torrents. Then go to http://Uptobox.com file host and login to my account, that i created with my fake mailinator.com email address, where I use the remote URL upload feature to download my files from filestream. Change the file name to VM-update.dll (I don't know why I chose a DLL originally, but I release no one asks why you were downloading a DLL). The download. All of this, except the downloading is done in Opera Web Browser with VPN on (a little extra paranoia goes a long way).2