Joined devRant on 7/11/2017
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
The CI on Mac is broken. Again.
Next time I have a client that wants me to work with Apple, I'll double my rate.2
Me: okay brain! We had our morning coffee. We're ready to work. Lots of things to do today.
Brain: yay! I feel unstoppable! Can't wait for logic problems and amazing things we're going to build! What's the plan?
Me: great! Today we're going to work on the ios implementation of our app. Where should we start?
Not really a recruitment experience, but when I was a uni student, my IT teacher told me face to face that "C++ is not object oriented"7
Can anyone explain to me how is it possible that some devs like to work on macos?
This feels like a punishment to me. Every time.29
If you could choose one, what should happen in 2020 :
1. Apple let developer build iOS apps on non Apple machines
2. NPM/Maven/... run 10x faster
4. Governments stop trying to ruin encryption
5. Facebook splits
6. Quantum computers are being sold for consumer use
7. We have our first high - level generic AI working22
When the impostor syndrome hits me, I try to remember my achievements :
- I won a national coding contest when I was 18,
- I made and still maintain a complex app for 15 years, still actively used,
- I cannot count the number of languages I know; too many of them...
Not bragging here, btw. It's just important to actually enumerate your achievements.
If you get hit by the IS, just remember what you did 😉.12
Guys, I just received a *constructive* comment about a code of mine on StackOverflow.
WTF is going on?8
I have a unique opportunity to go to the websummit for peanuts.
As the staff requires us to install the websummit app before the event, I did yesterday....
Now I'm being literally spammed by every sales person on the app chat. Some even posted *before I registered* !
My god, they're everywhere !1
I always wondered how it would be to have English as mother tongue.
- Insects are causing problems in computers,
- you're using a glass door or a fruit for OS (well, some of us),
- the internet is made of people bringing your glass in the restaurant,
- you navigate on the spider's fiber,
That must feel weird considering it's the same words that you use for other parts of your life8
How to realize that experience matters : make a demo where all your code works, but everything fails because the other dev has done a shitty job 😅1
That moment when your manager tells you that he's okay with ultra-flexible schedules, because "I trusts you 100%. You proved your value, please come late if you prefer"
I love my job12
Guys, serious question.
I work in a startup as a cto. We have a very low budget and considering hiring people offshore.
Does anyone have some experience in hiring and piloting a remote team? Would you recommend it?11
Amazon just launched DocumentDB, a clone of MongoDB.
I personally waited for this for a long time. How about you?4
Dates are f***ing annoying, we humans deal with them in such a weird way. It's almost impossible to define a algorithm dealing with them consistently.8
@dfox I just want to say thank you !
Most of my friends are not devs at all. Thanks to you, I can share my adventures to people that actually understand what I'm talking about.
This is priceless.10
My own language, hence my own parser.
Reinvented the regular expression before realizing it already existed (Google didn't exist at the time).
I'm a living reference for regular expressions since then.7
Guys, what should we do about Article 13 ?
The bill passed, well, that's unfortunate. We can still scream as loud as we can that it's a very bad idea, but let's face it, it won't probably work...
Personally, I'm sick of this shit. Every year they try to "regulate" the web with a new fucked-up legislation that they actually don't understand. I don't blame them for not knowing any better, but I blame them not to surround themselves with actually competent people (and no, lobbies are NOT competent, only interested).
So there it is : I want to act on this one. With traditional, ineffective methods (petitions, mails...), but I want to get further this time.
Here are some ideas :
- create/promote a platform explicitly made for "copyrighted" stuff (basically memes). Located outside of EU. But is it enough for being outside of the law ?
- Put some physical-paper memes near the EU parliament (I live in Brussels), just to mess with them ^_^
- Make the filtering algorithms crazy by spamming them with copyrighted content. I doubt this one will have any effect though...
Any ideas ? Let's go crazy there, they deserve it.8