Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "dutch devrant meetup"
First off, a Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I are very happy with the year devRant has had, and thinking back, there are a lot of 2017 highlights to recap. Here are just a few of the ones that come to mind (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff!):
- We introduced the devRant supporter program (devRant++)! (https://devrant.com/rants/638594/...). Thank you so much to everyone who has embraced devRant++! This program has helped us significantly and it's made it possible for us to mantain our current infrustructure and not have to cut down on servers/sacrifice app performance and stability.
- We added avatar pets (https://devrant.com/rants/455860/...)
- We finally got the domain devrant.com thanks to @wiardvanrij (https://devrant.com/rants/938509/...)
- The first international devRant meetup (Dutch) with organized by @linuxxx and was a huge success (https://devrant.com/rants/937319/... + https://devrant.com/rants/935713/...)
- We reached 50,000 downloads on Android (https://devrant.com/rants/728421/...)
- We introduced notif tabs (https://devrant.com/rants/1037456/...), which make it easy to filter your in-app notifications by type
- @AlexDeLarge became the first devRant user to hit 50,000++ (https://devrant.com/rants/885432/...), and @linuxxx became the first to hit 75,000++
- We made an April Fools joke that got a lot of people mad at us and hopefully got some laughs too (https://devrant.com/rants/506740/...)
- We launched devDucks!! (https://devducks.com)
- We got rid of the drawer menu in our mobile apps and switched to a tab layout
- We added the ability to subscribe to any user's rants (https://devrant.com/rants/538170/...)
- Introduced the post type selector (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...) (which will be used for filtering - more details below)
- Started a bug/feature tracker GitHub repo (https://github.com/devRant/devRant)
- We did our first ever live stream (https://youtube.com/watch/...)
- Added an awesome all-black theme (devRant++) (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...)
- We created an "active discussions" screen within the app so you can easily find rants with booming discussions!
- Thanks to the suggestion of many community members, we added "scroll to bottom" functionality to rants with long comment threads to make those rants more usable
- We improved our app stability and set our personal record for uptime, and we also cut request times in half with some database cluster upgrades
- Awesome new community projects: https://devrant.com/projects (more will be added to the list soon, sorry for the delay!)
- A new landing page for web (https://devrant.com), that was the first phase of our web overhaul coming soon (see below)
Even after all of this stuff, Tim and I both know there is a ton of work to do going forward and we want to continue to make devRant as good as it can be. We rely on your feedback to make that happen and we encourage everyone to keep submitting and discussing ideas in the bug/feature tracker (https://github.com/devRant/devRant).
We only have a little bit of the roadmap right now, but here's some things 2018 will bring:
- A brand new devRant web app: we've heard the feedback loud and clear. This is our top priority right now, and we're happy to say the completely redesigned/overhauled devRant web experience is almost done and will be released in early 2018. We think everyone will really like it.
- Functionality to filter rants by type: this feature was always planned since we introduced notif types, and it will soon be implemented. The notif type filter will allow you to select the types of rants you want to see for any of the sorting methods.
- App stability and usability: we want to dedicate a little time to making sure we don't forget to fix some long-standing bugs with our iOS/Android apps. This includes UI issues, push notification problems on Android, any many other small but annoying problems. We know the stability and usability of devRant is very important to the community, so it's important for us to give it the attention it deserves.
- Improved profiles/avatars: we can't reveal a ton here yet, but we've got some pretty cool ideas that we think everyone will enjoy.
- Private messaging: we think a PM system can add a lot to the app and make it much more intuitive to reach out to people privately. However, Tim and I believe in only launching carefully developed features, so rest assured that a lot of thought will be going into the system to maximize privacy, provide settings that make it easy to turn off, and provide security features that make it very difficult for abuse to take place. We're also open to any ideas here, so just let us know what you might be thinking.
There will be many more additions, but those are just a few we have in mind right now.
We've had a great year, and we really can't thank every member of the devRant community enough. We've always gotten amazingly positive feedback from the community, and we really do appreciate it. One of the most awesome things is when some compliments the kindness of the devRant community itself, which we hear a lot. It really is such a welcoming community and we love seeing devs of all kind and geographic locations welcomed with open arms.
2018 will be an important year for devRant as we continue to grow and we will need to continue the momentum. We think the ideas we have right now and the ones that will come from community feedback going forward will allow us to make this a big year and continue to improve the devRant community.
Thanks everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2018,
- David and Tim54
devRant meetup in the Netherlands yesterday was awesome! Hereby a group picture we took.
Thanks for the amazing evening, people!67
A devRant meetup in The Netherlands.
Sounds interesting? Keep reading ;)
I'm in the early stages of putting a Dutch devRant meetup together again. I'm aiming for next month some time. If you live in NL, Belgium or are willing to make the trip from further away, awesome! The language will be English, anything else is still in planning and ofc open to negotiations. I set up this date and location picker for Friday to Sunday around the weekends in April. https://datumprikker.nl/psxrr8ebwpj... Other times would be good too if we can just get enough people together. Any suggestions / questions? Drop me a comment. Do please share this post to anyone who might want to come! Happy Ranting!94
Hello people. A few people of the Dutch section of devRant have been talking about a possible meetup for a while now and a day or so ago we thought fuck it, let's not keep postponing but just get this fucker running.
So the idea is to (still quite short term) get together in The Hague the second weekend from now (so around the 21st).
Saturday or Sunday and meetup place have yet to be decided.
Let's discuss in the comments!27
The first Dutch devRant meetup 2019 was amazing, thanks everyone for attending, it was awesome meeting you all!32
For all the Dutch people on here, I'd like to organize another meetup!
I made a quick form (please only use it if you're dutch, I can't check that easily and I also can't check if you're username checks out so please no abuse, I've gotta go on good faith here)
It's just a simple form I put together in half an hour so don't judge 😅54
The registration thingy for a Dutch devRant meetup is online again! (Https://Linu.xxx)
Better spam protection.
Would love to see more people joining!19
Ohai, a few devRanters (including me) have been working on planning a Dutch devRant meetup once again.
Although we're quite late with the "announcement", hereby!
It'll happen upcoming Saturday in Nijmegen (at least one German living person is coming as well and some people wanted to see it anyways so that's why).
Here's a collab edit thingy where you can put your name if you're coming!:
http://collabedit.com/wmj25 (yes, no https, I'm aware, I didn't chose this one but for now it works)
I'll mention some dutchies in the comments :)
Looking forward to upcoming Saturday :D52
Dutchies and some other peoples who want to join the Dutch devRant meeting!
Since nothing is being decided or whatsoever, this is the plan as for what I think would work best and based on feedback/comments/the chat.
We'll meet up at the The Hague train station around 2PM. From there on it really depends on what everyone wants to do but my idea would be (depending on the weather) to go to a park or get a coffee or something like that.
So, what do you guys/gals think?27
Since CoffeeNcode posted a rant about a new Dutch meetup (https://devrant.com/rants/2023874/...) I thought that I would share a date I know Ill be in Germany for meeting up with my internet friends.
Nothing is definite yet, but Im pretty sure that I will be around Bonn and Köln on the 5th of May. There is a free festival, Rhein in Flammen, with an amazing firework show. Last year I visited and it was a big success so I want to go this year too.
Depending on the amount of reactions I might stay a full weekend instead of being there for 10 hours (traveling there on one morning and leaving in the middle of the night)24
People going to the Dutch devRant meetup in the Hague, where exactly are meeting? The Hague Central Station isn't small so I would like to know where I should go.
I'm not in the meetup group so I really have no idea and it would suck if I missed you guys.
I'll arrive at 13:56 so pretty late. Please wait for me. @linuxxx and other. No idea who else is coming, sorry.19
we are planning a Dutch DevRant meetup next weekend. Anyone interested? More info here: https://devrant.com/rants/1913500/...1
Just a couple of things I'm thinking,
Alacritty in my main terminal, but I have a Hyper terminal (secondary, since it's pretty but not as fast) for thoughts.
I'm not even sure if you can call them thoughts. I would say mental diarrhea.
Most of the sentences are ridden with expletives, and very emotional. I attached a picture where you can see that there is
* some special characters, result of me light smashing the keyboard (I say light as in, I'm very angry but not as angry to not appreciate my single computer).
* a final sentence with some really nasty message.
* a lot of gibberish as well, don't use this as a spanish learning tool.
If you're curious about what's causing me grief, it's trying to make jest work with a vue-cli existing project. I encountered a couple of gotchas that ground my gears.
I estimated this bitch ass task to take like 2 hours tops, but I'm like 4 hours on this already, so I'm halfway broken.
Also, another comment:
While seeing the picture of the dutch devrant meetup, I think to myself "man, there's no way I would not feel awkward in that situation.
But then I noticed the beer and was like "oh, that helps".2