Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "devrant meetup"
First off, a Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I are very happy with the year devRant has had, and thinking back, there are a lot of 2017 highlights to recap. Here are just a few of the ones that come to mind (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff!):
- We introduced the devRant supporter program (devRant++)! (https://devrant.com/rants/638594/...). Thank you so much to everyone who has embraced devRant++! This program has helped us significantly and it's made it possible for us to mantain our current infrustructure and not have to cut down on servers/sacrifice app performance and stability.
- We added avatar pets (https://devrant.com/rants/455860/...)
- We finally got the domain devrant.com thanks to @wiardvanrij (https://devrant.com/rants/938509/...)
- The first international devRant meetup (Dutch) with organized by @linuxxx and was a huge success (https://devrant.com/rants/937319/... + https://devrant.com/rants/935713/...)
- We reached 50,000 downloads on Android (https://devrant.com/rants/728421/...)
- We introduced notif tabs (https://devrant.com/rants/1037456/...), which make it easy to filter your in-app notifications by type
- @AlexDeLarge became the first devRant user to hit 50,000++ (https://devrant.com/rants/885432/...), and @linuxxx became the first to hit 75,000++
- We made an April Fools joke that got a lot of people mad at us and hopefully got some laughs too (https://devrant.com/rants/506740/...)
- We launched devDucks!! (https://devducks.com)
- We got rid of the drawer menu in our mobile apps and switched to a tab layout
- We added the ability to subscribe to any user's rants (https://devrant.com/rants/538170/...)
- Introduced the post type selector (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...) (which will be used for filtering - more details below)
- Started a bug/feature tracker GitHub repo (https://github.com/devRant/devRant)
- We did our first ever live stream (https://youtube.com/watch/...)
- Added an awesome all-black theme (devRant++) (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...)
- We created an "active discussions" screen within the app so you can easily find rants with booming discussions!
- Thanks to the suggestion of many community members, we added "scroll to bottom" functionality to rants with long comment threads to make those rants more usable
- We improved our app stability and set our personal record for uptime, and we also cut request times in half with some database cluster upgrades
- Awesome new community projects: https://devrant.com/projects (more will be added to the list soon, sorry for the delay!)
- A new landing page for web (https://devrant.com), that was the first phase of our web overhaul coming soon (see below)
Even after all of this stuff, Tim and I both know there is a ton of work to do going forward and we want to continue to make devRant as good as it can be. We rely on your feedback to make that happen and we encourage everyone to keep submitting and discussing ideas in the bug/feature tracker (https://github.com/devRant/devRant).
We only have a little bit of the roadmap right now, but here's some things 2018 will bring:
- A brand new devRant web app: we've heard the feedback loud and clear. This is our top priority right now, and we're happy to say the completely redesigned/overhauled devRant web experience is almost done and will be released in early 2018. We think everyone will really like it.
- Functionality to filter rants by type: this feature was always planned since we introduced notif types, and it will soon be implemented. The notif type filter will allow you to select the types of rants you want to see for any of the sorting methods.
- App stability and usability: we want to dedicate a little time to making sure we don't forget to fix some long-standing bugs with our iOS/Android apps. This includes UI issues, push notification problems on Android, any many other small but annoying problems. We know the stability and usability of devRant is very important to the community, so it's important for us to give it the attention it deserves.
- Improved profiles/avatars: we can't reveal a ton here yet, but we've got some pretty cool ideas that we think everyone will enjoy.
- Private messaging: we think a PM system can add a lot to the app and make it much more intuitive to reach out to people privately. However, Tim and I believe in only launching carefully developed features, so rest assured that a lot of thought will be going into the system to maximize privacy, provide settings that make it easy to turn off, and provide security features that make it very difficult for abuse to take place. We're also open to any ideas here, so just let us know what you might be thinking.
There will be many more additions, but those are just a few we have in mind right now.
We've had a great year, and we really can't thank every member of the devRant community enough. We've always gotten amazingly positive feedback from the community, and we really do appreciate it. One of the most awesome things is when some compliments the kindness of the devRant community itself, which we hear a lot. It really is such a welcoming community and we love seeing devs of all kind and geographic locations welcomed with open arms.
2018 will be an important year for devRant as we continue to grow and we will need to continue the momentum. We think the ideas we have right now and the ones that will come from community feedback going forward will allow us to make this a big year and continue to improve the devRant community.
Thanks everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2018,
- David and Tim55
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I wanted to reflect on the year devRant has had, and looking back, there are a lot of awesome things that happened in 2018 that we are very thankful for. Here are just a few of the ones that we thought of (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff, so please comment about those!):
- After nearly a year in the making, the completely overhauled devRant web version was launched (https://devrant.com/rants/1255714/...)
- @linuxxx became the first devRant user to hit 100,000++! (https://devrant.com/rants/1157415/...)
- We once again pulled off the greatest April fools joke everrrr (https://devrant.com/rants/1311206/...)
- @trogus started making awesome devComics and http://devcomics.com was launched
- We added a feature to allow rant filtering by post type (https://devrant.com/rants/1354275/...)
- We made it so avatars could have expressions! (https://devrant.com/rants/1563683/...)
- We had a booth at TechDay New York and got to meet some devRant users! (https://devrant.com/rants/1394067/...)
- We made major backend architectural improvements - including spinning up a special high-powered-CPU web server to handle avatar creation and make the creation process much faster (https://devrant.com/rants/1370938/...)
- App stability: mainly Android - we fixed crashes, did a push-notif overhaul, and tried to continue making the apps better and more stable
- A record amount of devRant meetups were held, and we couldn't be more proud about that, and we thank every person who organized one! (just a few: https://devrant.com/rants/1588218/... https://devrant.com/rants/1884724/... https://devrant.com/rants/1683365/... https://devrant.com/rants/1922950/...)
We had a busy year, and despite some things going on for us personally and some setbacks around those, we think this was a very productve year for devRant and that we are going in the right direction. We're continuing to constantly evaluate feedback from members of the community to decide where to take the app next. We're fully committed to improving the devRant community in 2019 and we have a lot of ideas about how we can do that. We're working on some things, but we're not really announcing them yet, so please sit tight for those :) In the meantime, feel free to let us know what you'd like to see improved/added the most as we always like to get updated feedback from the community.
As always, thank you everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2019,
- David and Tim32
Meeting up with @CoffeeNCode was awesome! We actually have a lot in common :D
Asked her for a selfie together so here we go:69
Meetup with @Wack, @PonySlaystation and @Heyheni in Zurich was awesome! Had some good beers and, of course, took a picture: (fltr: wack, heyheni, linuxxx, ponyslaystation)52
Will meet some fellow devranters in Zurich today if everything goes well.
Excited to meet you guys!
Devy doesn't seem to be too excited, though :/18
Alright, since the organizer for the European devRant meetup canceled it (let's not get butthurt/hating etc), I'd love to (with the help of some other people) organize one myself since I was really looking forward to it!
Question would be, who'd be up for it?
Location would most likely be Germany since that's the most central point.
I'd love to hear from you all!62
There should be a devrant Meetup one day. Basically The community just gets together, rants about stuff to each other but in person so we all meet our social interaction requirements for the year. Then we could buy swag and sit on our computers and work on our personal/group projects. It would give devs a great excuse to take a vacation once a year.15
Congrats to localhost for being the second devRant user ever to reach 1,000 points! I've greatly enjoyed his awesome posts and I know a ton of other people have too! Thanks for the laughs/great convo and I'm looking forward to an NYC meetup in May :)4
Hello people. A few people of the Dutch section of devRant have been talking about a possible meetup for a while now and a day or so ago we thought fuck it, let's not keep postponing but just get this fucker running.
So the idea is to (still quite short term) get together in The Hague the second weekend from now (so around the 21st).
Saturday or Sunday and meetup place have yet to be decided.
Let's discuss in the comments!27
A devRant meetup in The Netherlands.
Sounds interesting? Keep reading ;)
I'm in the early stages of putting a Dutch devRant meetup together again. I'm aiming for next month some time. If you live in NL, Belgium or are willing to make the trip from further away, awesome! The language will be English, anything else is still in planning and ofc open to negotiations. I set up this date and location picker for Friday to Sunday around the weekends in April. https://datumprikker.nl/psxrr8ebwpj... Other times would be good too if we can just get enough people together. Any suggestions / questions? Drop me a comment. Do please share this post to anyone who might want to come! Happy Ranting!39
For all the Dutch people on here, I'd like to organize another meetup!
I made a quick form (please only use it if you're dutch, I can't check that easily and I also can't check if you're username checks out so please no abuse, I've gotta go on good faith here)
It's just a simple form I put together in half an hour so don't judge 😅54
NYC meetup reminder! If you're in NYC, don't forget about the meetup tonight! It will be a great opportunity to meet fellow devRant users and he founders. We also have a few squishy balls to give out :)
We're meeting at Stout NYC (midtown). All the details here: https://www.devrant.io/meetup
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Looking forward to seeing some devRanters there!9
The registration thingy for a Dutch devRant meetup is online again! (Https://Linu.xxx)
Better spam protection.
Would love to see more people joining!19
Ohai, a few devRanters (including me) have been working on planning a Dutch devRant meetup once again.
Although we're quite late with the "announcement", hereby!
It'll happen upcoming Saturday in Nijmegen (at least one German living person is coming as well and some people wanted to see it anyways so that's why).
Here's a collab edit thingy where you can put your name if you're coming!:
http://collabedit.com/wmj25 (yes, no https, I'm aware, I didn't chose this one but for now it works)
I'll mention some dutchies in the comments :)
Looking forward to upcoming Saturday :D52
Dutchies and some other peoples who want to join the Dutch devRant meeting!
Since nothing is being decided or whatsoever, this is the plan as for what I think would work best and based on feedback/comments/the chat.
We'll meet up at the The Hague train station around 2PM. From there on it really depends on what everyone wants to do but my idea would be (depending on the weather) to go to a park or get a coffee or something like that.
So, what do you guys/gals think?27
@dfox, I heard another DevRant meetup was coming. I just made this up right now but it's trending on Twitter... which I also made up.
So... maybe in the Pittsburgh area?6
Hey there devRanters!
In a rants comments I came to the idea (yet again) of doing a kind of devRant meetup in the Netherlands! Would any fellow dutchies be in for this and if yes, lets discuss some details in the comments!128
Just saw a thread about Global Reddit Meetup Day. Do we have one in devrant? If not, is it possible to have one? I know the user base is not comparable with reddit, but it would be fun meeting other local developers who rant too 😛8
I just woke up from a nap. This may seem weird but I had a dream about organizing a devRant meetup at my location. dfox was in town for some reason it involved alot of beer.7
read some rants about a devRant meetup?
how do I know they are not from my manager trying to catch me rant-handed?5
Met @condor irl today. He's the same weird guy as I feel at moments. Interests that don't interest people around us in any way..
Drank some beers, evidently called Belgium.
He came all the way to the town I work at.. kudos!
Talked about breadboards taking 230V via cables that aren't meant to take the voltage in any way.. Security implications in networks and online services, like Fb. Faraday's cage & how it works; and some other shit I swear I won't tell anyone about as you should be comfortable discussing it.
Quite interesting, I swear! (:
Now on the bus home, as I had to cut it short to get to some parental business... But I'm looking back on some positive social interaction, which I'll gladly re-do another time.
Condor, it was sure nice to meet ya. I'll come your way next time. That ~10eu for your transport will be equalled some day in the near future.
@FunkDelegate sorry it was badly timed and plaved, you'll join us soon enough! At least you saw decent ass! xD3
Here are all the infos for this Friday night meeting:
- Friday 22/12
- Brussels Central station
Everybody's welcome ! :D32
People going to the Dutch devRant meetup in the Hague, where exactly are meeting? The Hague Central Station isn't small so I would like to know where I should go.
I'm not in the meetup group so I really have no idea and it would suck if I missed you guys.
I'll arrive at 13:56 so pretty late. Please wait for me. @linuxxx and other. No idea who else is coming, sorry.19
Since CoffeeNcode posted a rant about a new Dutch meetup (https://devrant.com/rants/2023874/...) I thought that I would share a date I know Ill be in Germany for meeting up with my internet friends.
Nothing is definite yet, but Im pretty sure that I will be around Bonn and Köln on the 5th of May. There is a free festival, Rhein in Flammen, with an amazing firework show. Last year I visited and it was a big success so I want to go this year too.
Depending on the amount of reactions I might stay a full weekend instead of being there for 10 hours (traveling there on one morning and leaving in the middle of the night)24
DEVRANT INDIA MEETUP
@GDD Bangalore, Dec 1 and 2
It will be awesome to meet all the devs who are attending the GDD at Bangalore. So lets make a group chat and plan a way to spot each other 🤓
Group Link in comments 😊4
Excited for Official devRant NYC meetup? Here you can find more details incase you missed notification.
we are planning a Dutch DevRant meetup next weekend. Anyone interested? More info here: https://devrant.com/rants/1913500/...1
I come from a city which isn't a tech city. It's hard to find developers or people who actually code outside of their college work.
The best thing that I've ever done is to start a Meetup. We started WordPress community and we found people. Some awesome people who we didn't know we're in Kanpur. And we also found a Docker meetup in our city which was inactive but became active our community grew. The guy who started the Docker meetup is a brilliant developer who has helped us by sponsoring his office space for our meetups and even volunteering to speak and help people various times.
Because of community building, now we also have a Hackerspace and Python meetup group, as we as we're working on bring Random Hacks of Kindness to our city.
It's not because of WordPress or Docker, but just because of bringing like minded people together. It has done wonders.
So if you can, join a Meetup group in your city and spread knowledge. Try to bring people together and do some awesome stuff. Spread the knowledge.
Don't have any meetup groups? Start your own one. Make it about the language you like, or start a devRant meetup.
So, anyone interested in making this come true? Having a devRant meetup? Bringing local devRanters who are sick of their clients together to make something better?15
Are there going to be anymore devRant meet-ups elsewhere in the US? I live in the South if there are any other developers in the area!10
Hey Fellow devRanters in Jakarta, let's meet up!
Let's have our first devRant meeting?
And join here: https://t.me/joinchat/...26
Idk if you noticed but there's a "DevRant Meetup" thing going on and it looks fun : https://devrant.com/rants/971370/...
I don't know if I'll be able to go but it seemed like a fucking great idea + they will probably organise a Hackathon and because I lack skills and experiences this seems like a really nice idea + gaming tournament \o/4
People of devrant!
Are there any of you living in London and willing to grab a beer or two?
I'll be visiting next week (from 1st to 8th) and thought we could have a little meetup.4