Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "devrant meetup"
First off, a Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I are very happy with the year devRant has had, and thinking back, there are a lot of 2017 highlights to recap. Here are just a few of the ones that come to mind (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff!):
- We introduced the devRant supporter program (devRant++)! (https://devrant.com/rants/638594/...). Thank you so much to everyone who has embraced devRant++! This program has helped us significantly and it's made it possible for us to mantain our current infrustructure and not have to cut down on servers/sacrifice app performance and stability.
- We added avatar pets (https://devrant.com/rants/455860/...)
- We finally got the domain devrant.com thanks to @wiardvanrij (https://devrant.com/rants/938509/...)
- The first international devRant meetup (Dutch) with organized by @linuxxx and was a huge success (https://devrant.com/rants/937319/... + https://devrant.com/rants/935713/...)
- We reached 50,000 downloads on Android (https://devrant.com/rants/728421/...)
- We introduced notif tabs (https://devrant.com/rants/1037456/...), which make it easy to filter your in-app notifications by type
- @AlexDeLarge became the first devRant user to hit 50,000++ (https://devrant.com/rants/885432/...), and @linuxxx became the first to hit 75,000++
- We made an April Fools joke that got a lot of people mad at us and hopefully got some laughs too (https://devrant.com/rants/506740/...)
- We launched devDucks!! (https://devducks.com)
- We got rid of the drawer menu in our mobile apps and switched to a tab layout
- We added the ability to subscribe to any user's rants (https://devrant.com/rants/538170/...)
- Introduced the post type selector (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...) (which will be used for filtering - more details below)
- Started a bug/feature tracker GitHub repo (https://github.com/devRant/devRant)
- We did our first ever live stream (https://youtube.com/watch/...)
- Added an awesome all-black theme (devRant++) (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...)
- We created an "active discussions" screen within the app so you can easily find rants with booming discussions!
- Thanks to the suggestion of many community members, we added "scroll to bottom" functionality to rants with long comment threads to make those rants more usable
- We improved our app stability and set our personal record for uptime, and we also cut request times in half with some database cluster upgrades
- Awesome new community projects: https://devrant.com/projects (more will be added to the list soon, sorry for the delay!)
- A new landing page for web (https://devrant.com), that was the first phase of our web overhaul coming soon (see below)
Even after all of this stuff, Tim and I both know there is a ton of work to do going forward and we want to continue to make devRant as good as it can be. We rely on your feedback to make that happen and we encourage everyone to keep submitting and discussing ideas in the bug/feature tracker (https://github.com/devRant/devRant).
We only have a little bit of the roadmap right now, but here's some things 2018 will bring:
- A brand new devRant web app: we've heard the feedback loud and clear. This is our top priority right now, and we're happy to say the completely redesigned/overhauled devRant web experience is almost done and will be released in early 2018. We think everyone will really like it.
- Functionality to filter rants by type: this feature was always planned since we introduced notif types, and it will soon be implemented. The notif type filter will allow you to select the types of rants you want to see for any of the sorting methods.
- App stability and usability: we want to dedicate a little time to making sure we don't forget to fix some long-standing bugs with our iOS/Android apps. This includes UI issues, push notification problems on Android, any many other small but annoying problems. We know the stability and usability of devRant is very important to the community, so it's important for us to give it the attention it deserves.
- Improved profiles/avatars: we can't reveal a ton here yet, but we've got some pretty cool ideas that we think everyone will enjoy.
- Private messaging: we think a PM system can add a lot to the app and make it much more intuitive to reach out to people privately. However, Tim and I believe in only launching carefully developed features, so rest assured that a lot of thought will be going into the system to maximize privacy, provide settings that make it easy to turn off, and provide security features that make it very difficult for abuse to take place. We're also open to any ideas here, so just let us know what you might be thinking.
There will be many more additions, but those are just a few we have in mind right now.
We've had a great year, and we really can't thank every member of the devRant community enough. We've always gotten amazingly positive feedback from the community, and we really do appreciate it. One of the most awesome things is when some compliments the kindness of the devRant community itself, which we hear a lot. It really is such a welcoming community and we love seeing devs of all kind and geographic locations welcomed with open arms.
2018 will be an important year for devRant as we continue to grow and we will need to continue the momentum. We think the ideas we have right now and the ones that will come from community feedback going forward will allow us to make this a big year and continue to improve the devRant community.
Thanks everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2018,
- David and Tim49
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I wanted to reflect on the year devRant has had, and looking back, there are a lot of awesome things that happened in 2018 that we are very thankful for. Here are just a few of the ones that we thought of (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff, so please comment about those!):
- After nearly a year in the making, the completely overhauled devRant web version was launched (https://devrant.com/rants/1255714/...)
- @linuxxx became the first devRant user to hit 100,000++! (https://devrant.com/rants/1157415/...)
- We once again pulled off the greatest April fools joke everrrr (https://devrant.com/rants/1311206/...)
- @trogus started making awesome devComics and http://devcomics.com was launched
- We added a feature to allow rant filtering by post type (https://devrant.com/rants/1354275/...)
- We made it so avatars could have expressions! (https://devrant.com/rants/1563683/...)
- We had a booth at TechDay New York and got to meet some devRant users! (https://devrant.com/rants/1394067/...)
- We made major backend architectural improvements - including spinning up a special high-powered-CPU web server to handle avatar creation and make the creation process much faster (https://devrant.com/rants/1370938/...)
- App stability: mainly Android - we fixed crashes, did a push-notif overhaul, and tried to continue making the apps better and more stable
- A record amount of devRant meetups were held, and we couldn't be more proud about that, and we thank every person who organized one! (just a few: https://devrant.com/rants/1588218/... https://devrant.com/rants/1884724/... https://devrant.com/rants/1683365/... https://devrant.com/rants/1922950/...)
We had a busy year, and despite some things going on for us personally and some setbacks around those, we think this was a very productve year for devRant and that we are going in the right direction. We're continuing to constantly evaluate feedback from members of the community to decide where to take the app next. We're fully committed to improving the devRant community in 2019 and we have a lot of ideas about how we can do that. We're working on some things, but we're not really announcing them yet, so please sit tight for those :) In the meantime, feel free to let us know what you'd like to see improved/added the most as we always like to get updated feedback from the community.
As always, thank you everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2019,
- David and Tim30
Meeting up with @CoffeeNCode was awesome! We actually have a lot in common :D
Asked her for a selfie together so here we go:64
devRant meetup in the Netherlands yesterday was awesome! Hereby a group picture we took.
Thanks for the amazing evening, people!63
Meetup with @Wack, @PonySlaystation and @Heyheni in Zurich was awesome! Had some good beers and, of course, took a picture: (fltr: wack, heyheni, linuxxx, ponyslaystation)50
Will meet some fellow devranters in Zurich today if everything goes well.
Excited to meet you guys!
Devy doesn't seem to be too excited, though :/15
Alright, since the organizer for the European devRant meetup canceled it (let's not get butthurt/hating etc), I'd love to (with the help of some other people) organize one myself since I was really looking forward to it!
Question would be, who'd be up for it?
Location would most likely be Germany since that's the most central point.
I'd love to hear from you all!58
Congrats to localhost for being the second devRant user ever to reach 1,000 points! I've greatly enjoyed his awesome posts and I know a ton of other people have too! Thanks for the laughs/great convo and I'm looking forward to an NYC meetup in May :)4
There should be a devrant Meetup one day. Basically The community just gets together, rants about stuff to each other but in person so we all meet our social interaction requirements for the year. Then we could buy swag and sit on our computers and work on our personal/group projects. It would give devs a great excuse to take a vacation once a year.15
Hello people. A few people of the Dutch section of devRant have been talking about a possible meetup for a while now and a day or so ago we thought fuck it, let's not keep postponing but just get this fucker running.
So the idea is to (still quite short term) get together in The Hague the second weekend from now (so around the 21st).
Saturday or Sunday and meetup place have yet to be decided.
Let's discuss in the comments!27
A devRant meetup in The Netherlands.
Sounds interesting? Keep reading ;)
I'm in the early stages of putting a Dutch devRant meetup together again. I'm aiming for next month some time. If you live in NL, Belgium or are willing to make the trip from further away, awesome! The language will be English, anything else is still in planning and ofc open to negotiations. I set up this date and location picker for Friday to Sunday around the weekends in April. https://datumprikker.nl/psxrr8ebwpj... Other times would be good too if we can just get enough people together. Any suggestions / questions? Drop me a comment. Do please share this post to anyone who might want to come! Happy Ranting!92
NYC meetup reminder! If you're in NYC, don't forget about the meetup tonight! It will be a great opportunity to meet fellow devRant users and he founders. We also have a few squishy balls to give out :)
We're meeting at Stout NYC (midtown). All the details here: https://www.devrant.io/meetup
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Looking forward to seeing some devRanters there!9
The registration thingy for a Dutch devRant meetup is online again! (Https://Linu.xxx)
Better spam protection.
Would love to see more people joining!17
For all the Dutch people on here, I'd like to organize another meetup!
I made a quick form (please only use it if you're dutch, I can't check that easily and I also can't check if you're username checks out so please no abuse, I've gotta go on good faith here)
It's just a simple form I put together in half an hour so don't judge 😅50
The first Dutch devRant meetup 2019 was amazing, thanks everyone for attending, it was awesome meeting you all!28
Just as a reminder: the next devRant NL meetup is coming up next Saturday 21 September, in Nijmegen. It's starting at 4pm at Cafe van Buren. I reserved a table, so look for the devducks!
If you want to attend and didn't let me know yet, please send me a message (email@example.com) or drop me a comment here, so I can make adjustments to the reservation if necessary.
Looking forward to seeing you there!16
Dutchies and some other peoples who want to join the Dutch devRant meeting!
Since nothing is being decided or whatsoever, this is the plan as for what I think would work best and based on feedback/comments/the chat.
We'll meet up at the The Hague train station around 2PM. From there on it really depends on what everyone wants to do but my idea would be (depending on the weather) to go to a park or get a coffee or something like that.
So, what do you guys/gals think?27
Ohai, a few devRanters (including me) have been working on planning a Dutch devRant meetup once again.
Although we're quite late with the "announcement", hereby!
It'll happen upcoming Saturday in Nijmegen (at least one German living person is coming as well and some people wanted to see it anyways so that's why).
Here's a collab edit thingy where you can put your name if you're coming!:
http://collabedit.com/wmj25 (yes, no https, I'm aware, I didn't chose this one but for now it works)
I'll mention some dutchies in the comments :)
Looking forward to upcoming Saturday :D49
@dfox, I heard another DevRant meetup was coming. I just made this up right now but it's trending on Twitter... which I also made up.
So... maybe in the Pittsburgh area?6
Just saw a thread about Global Reddit Meetup Day. Do we have one in devrant? If not, is it possible to have one? I know the user base is not comparable with reddit, but it would be fun meeting other local developers who rant too 😛8
Hey there devRanters!
In a rants comments I came to the idea (yet again) of doing a kind of devRant meetup in the Netherlands! Would any fellow dutchies be in for this and if yes, lets discuss some details in the comments!128
read some rants about a devRant meetup?
how do I know they are not from my manager trying to catch me rant-handed?3
I just woke up from a nap. This may seem weird but I had a dream about organizing a devRant meetup at my location. dfox was in town for some reason it involved alot of beer.7
Omw home from a devRant NL meetup in Nijmegen. I hope everyone who attended had a good time. Hopefully until the next one!7
DevRant MeetUp in Nijmegen 4th Jan'20:
I'm goin' scouting this Sunday.
Got six locations to check for compability.
Lots of coffee, tea, beer, wine and such to evaluate. Btw : what's our price level? Medium?
Anyone in for culture, arts or even partying?! =)
The date and location for the devRant NL winter meetup are set:
January 4, in Nijmegen!
Exact location to be set, recommendations and ideas are welcome, as always!
If anyone wants to join who didn't sign up via the link, just give a shout :)25
Here are all the infos for this Friday night meeting:
- Friday 22/12
- Brussels Central station
Everybody's welcome ! :D32
Met @condor irl today. He's the same weird guy as I feel at moments. Interests that don't interest people around us in any way..
Drank some beers, evidently called Belgium.
He came all the way to the town I work at.. kudos!
Talked about breadboards taking 230V via cables that aren't meant to take the voltage in any way.. Security implications in networks and online services, like Fb. Faraday's cage & how it works; and some other shit I swear I won't tell anyone about as you should be comfortable discussing it.
Quite interesting, I swear! (:
Now on the bus home, as I had to cut it short to get to some parental business... But I'm looking back on some positive social interaction, which I'll gladly re-do another time.
Condor, it was sure nice to meet ya. I'll come your way next time. That ~10eu for your transport will be equalled some day in the near future.
@FunkDelegate sorry it was badly timed and plaved, you'll join us soon enough! At least you saw decent ass! xD3
Since CoffeeNcode posted a rant about a new Dutch meetup (https://devrant.com/rants/2023874/...) I thought that I would share a date I know Ill be in Germany for meeting up with my internet friends.
Nothing is definite yet, but Im pretty sure that I will be around Bonn and Köln on the 5th of May. There is a free festival, Rhein in Flammen, with an amazing firework show. Last year I visited and it was a big success so I want to go this year too.
Depending on the amount of reactions I might stay a full weekend instead of being there for 10 hours (traveling there on one morning and leaving in the middle of the night)18
Excited for Official devRant NYC meetup? Here you can find more details incase you missed notification.
DEVRANT INDIA MEETUP
@GDD Bangalore, Dec 1 and 2
It will be awesome to meet all the devs who are attending the GDD at Bangalore. So lets make a group chat and plan a way to spot each other 🤓
Group Link in comments 😊4
we are planning a Dutch DevRant meetup next weekend. Anyone interested? More info here: https://devrant.com/rants/1913500/...1
So, Since today's devRant meetup has been postphoned to next week, Is everybody free on Friday or Sunday? Because there are some of us(Me included) who are busy on Saturdays.
What do you guys think?46
So just babbling my shit down here.
(Tldr : i am a crazy guy who followed my half slept brain, went onto a stage , gave some kind of motivating , stammering talk to a large group of professional strangers, enjoyed that day with a red embarrassed face and just got my first pic of me speaking on stage and that is so awesome !)
Last Saturday i went to a gdg meetup and i embarrassed the hell out of me.
I went there with just 2 hours of sleep from the previous night.
After a few talks there comes a guy who is taking some time to install is setup and the host calls for lightning round session ( ie he asks if anyone from the audience would like to share something about their product or something).
I am a fucking nutt guy. I can explain something to you nicely in a hacky way as long as i have done enough work on that and you speak my native language.
But giving a talk on English stage, hell no! I stammer, mix hindi with English and start speaking werd shit.. And that's what happened.
I don't know what went into me but as some guy went to the stage and talked for 2 mins, i was like yeah i want to do that too. So in next turn when he asked for a show of hands, i raised mine and fucking went to stage!
I forgot that if you go on stage you should have something to talk to . But the moment i was on stage, i was like... "Nope, we will do this differently".
I had been working on a video ads module from the last week which could be easily explained in 2 mins. But i felt like giving a non techy talk instead.
It went something like this: i introduced myself with my experience details ( who gives experience details on stage !?!) Then host said to speak loudly and i went like "Bharat mata ki jai!"( Victory to mother india (wtf!?😆) .
Then started talking about how the developers feel disheartened when searching on internet where the resources are scattered . And the solution i told them was :"don't be disheartened. You will eventually find it (like wow dude wtf, as if they didn't knew that) . Look on the youtube and other resources " and then went full on explaining/marketing about some online tutor who gives advice/consultancy via a subscription based payment ( tbf that guy really helped solve a lot of my doubts, he has written books on Android dev and is the top so answerer for Android).
Then i went on sharing my thoughts live on that fuckin stage ! ( Live because i usually post my thoughts here on devrant before discussing them out with real people, you guys are my safe space) but there i discussed my thoughts on libraries!
I have this believe that Android devs these days are having lesser knowledge of the system because we have all the libraries and templates available to us. But when we have to customize stuff, we need to go deep into docs and source classes and find ourselves in trouble there. So i kind of said this out loud and that we should try to read more the code and implement stuff ourselves instead of using the library 😅🙈)
I was feeling so fucking embarrassing after that all stuff! It was so full of stammering , broken English and worst attempt at motivation. At that time i was regretting this and about to burst cry and run away, but somehow i gathered my self, got my mood back to the event games and talks, later went to the organizers and apologized(and they were very nice and didn't cared about it), and overall enjoyed my weirdest day!
When i came home, my mom gave me a little more confidence about it. Now i think i shouldn't be that much instinctive. Next day i went hack to work and everything got normal.
But Yesterday i found a link to the public repository of the photos. Ohh fuck, someone had took my image! and that was too in full hd!!! 🙈🙈🙈😅😆😆 Oh mann I can't stop looking at that cool stage speaker image, i love it ! I, the shy-est and the most uncool awkward person , present on the stage with a mike, oof , i think i lived my dream !
I hope i could get enough confidence and speaking skills to take a real stage talk next time ( and maybe enough interesting talks and confidence to talk with girls of our office, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )7
Are there going to be anymore devRant meet-ups elsewhere in the US? I live in the South if there are any other developers in the area!10
Fewd! on devrant meetup Nijmegen Jan 4th '20
Referring to https://devrant.com/rants/2341210/...
Been scouting restaurants and cafés last sunday. Nine candidates, from collab spaces, bars to restaurants.
We have a city centre at hand.
Whereas three collab spaces been closed (Sunday) and won't open within our desired times. The 'coffee lovers' is a minimalistic bar at the city's public library, not explicitly offering space for meet ups. And the Honigs' house coffee bar does only serve business hours.
Three remain on my short list:
- Cafe Jos meesterschenkereij
Snacks, beer ( 80+++ brands) and whiskey, very cosy, 15min simple public transports.
- eetcafe goed volk
Vegan food, wine, classy, 15min simple public transports.
- Cafe Faber
Rustical, beer n standards, built for tall peoplere, total city centre.
All three can specially accommodate us that evening.
Anyways. The city is full of bars n stuff.
I'd like to side our choice with a survey (scientifically personal data friendly) :
Just a couple of things I'm thinking,
Alacritty in my main terminal, but I have a Hyper terminal (secondary, since it's pretty but not as fast) for thoughts.
I'm not even sure if you can call them thoughts. I would say mental diarrhea.
Most of the sentences are ridden with expletives, and very emotional. I attached a picture where you can see that there is
* some special characters, result of me light smashing the keyboard (I say light as in, I'm very angry but not as angry to not appreciate my single computer).
* a final sentence with some really nasty message.
* a lot of gibberish as well, don't use this as a spanish learning tool.
If you're curious about what's causing me grief, it's trying to make jest work with a vue-cli existing project. I encountered a couple of gotchas that ground my gears.
I estimated this bitch ass task to take like 2 hours tops, but I'm like 4 hours on this already, so I'm halfway broken.
Also, another comment:
While seeing the picture of the dutch devrant meetup, I think to myself "man, there's no way I would not feel awkward in that situation.
But then I noticed the beer and was like "oh, that helps".2
Hey Fellow devRanters in Jakarta, let's meet up!
Let's have our first devRant meeting?
And join here: https://t.me/joinchat/...26
Idk if you noticed but there's a "DevRant Meetup" thing going on and it looks fun : https://devrant.com/rants/971370/...
I don't know if I'll be able to go but it seemed like a fucking great idea + they will probably organise a Hackathon and because I lack skills and experiences this seems like a really nice idea + gaming tournament \o/4
So, about the devRant meetup(see previous rants), I didn't really hear anything about tomorrow, so just in case, I'm continuing with my proposal, it seemed more people were up for Sunday then Friday, so post the time you are free at on Sunday, along with your time zone(or UTC/GMT for privacy)30
People of devrant!
Are there any of you living in London and willing to grab a beer or two?
I'll be visiting next week (from 1st to 8th) and thought we could have a little meetup.3