Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "xslt"
I've been staffed on a old ongoing project, first day.
0. Compatibility has to be guaranteed down till IE9... ppf.
1. Front end made in XHTML+JS(jQuery)... bah, ok.
2. XHTML+JS is actually generated by PHP5.4, not a line is actually statically served... beh, funny, ok.
3. PHP files are the output of an XSLT transform of a bunch of XMLs... meh, seriously? Oooook.
4. XMLs are the product of the serialisation of a truck of stateful JavaEE6 DTOs populated magically (undocumented) with data coming from a SQL DB... WTF mode!!!
5. Session logics lives within PHP-land at point 2, front end makes ajax calls here that propagates to another WS out of our control that triggers -somehow- (undocumented) our Java backend at point 4 to generate new XMLs and then reach front end again. Kill me now.
Boss: look... it's too slow for the client, it's too heavy on our servers: fix it. Ah, and we sold 85% test coverage by October. You're the man for the job. (I'm a Node.js fullstacker and right now there's not even a testing scaffold, ofc).
Me: prod is on Linux or Windows?
Me: rm -rf / as root. Done.
Boss: I know I know...
I think time has come...6
I saw someone rant about XML earlier, but truly the thing that puts me on the edge is XSLT. Who invented that crap.10
Ah Christmas again...
That time of the year to fix your parents computer problems or in my case I am still trying to eliminate windows XP...2
Someone once told me our bachelor's thesis would be the most frustrating thing we've ever done. However, its really been wonderful because we can do whatever the fuck we want, meaning:
NO MORE FUCKING INLINE JS
NO MORE FUCING INLINE CSS
NO MORE FUCKING CANCEROUS CSS STYLESHEETS
NO MORE FUCKING PROCEDURAL PHP
NO MORE FUCKING XSLT
NO MORE FUCKING INLINE SQL
Nobody wants to maintain XSLT mappings. Being a developer, even I don't want to. So what do we do? We parse the XSLT using JAVA code in a horrible attempt create an excel with mappings. God damn it!!1
I got a new Drupal project to maintain. (🤬🤬🤬)
So I'm looking at the content and noticed raw HTML inside the content area. I first thought, the client is using a wysiwyg editor.. But no. It's worse.
He is transforming a XML with XSLT to HTML and copy & paste everything. The result are nested <html><body> tags and everything breaks.
Just because drupal is to hard to work with. I will burn everything and install WordPress 🤯🤬🤬🤬2
The "language" I hated the most was XSLT 1.0. Some times you ended up with a horrible set of template matches or choose clauses to achieve simple decision trees.2
Does anyone know how to keep xml tags in the order they where in when using xslt.
So lets say my document goes
How would i keep the heading and paragraphs in order?1
Used XSLT for the first time at work. It seems like it can be a pretty powerful tool in the right situation, but I'm not too happy that I have to use it in the first place.2
Working on a xslt just to change a single character in an invoice. The system I use does not have the euros sign...
Because fuck manually editing the pdf every month.
I'm trying to find reasons to learn XSLT. So far, I've found plently of blogs, articles and so on. Thing is though, they're all pre-2010.5