Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "publicity"
Seriously github, the best thing you could do for the black community is change the name master to main, fuck you and your publicity stunts2
Why is it so damn hard to get publicity for an open-source project? I mean it's almost impossible to get anyone to even notice you. I've been trying to promote my project in every kind of social media imaginable and still I can't reliably get 50-100 unique visitors to my Github repo in a day. I thought writing the code was the difficult part, but clearly the no-budget marketing is what will be my demise.23
FB launched profile picture guard feature recently for Indian users ( well, we Indian men deserve these kind of publicity. -.- anyone being on Indian forums knows what I am talking about )
Anyway it claims that othersa CANT download your profile picture. But. I just did inspect element and found the image and saved it (and deleted of course. This was for research purposes). How effective do you think this can be?19
Can someone please explain to me WHY THE FUCK non devs feel like they know shit. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HOW YOU FOUND SOME UNTRUE SHIT ON GIZMODO. I'VE KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THIS SHIT, AND YOU LOOKED UP THE FIRST EXAMPLE YOU COULD FIND THE SUPPORTS YOUR CASE. The most recent time this happened was OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS when this DUMBASS that my friends and I BULLY but HE STILL HANGS AROUND. (By bully, yes sometimes we are mean to him, but we're not out to get him. He comes to us and we don't wanna be with him). So after the SEVENTH groupchat (on two apps) he created that night, HE WANTED TO SWITCH BACK TO ANOTHER APP I SPENT A WEEK TRYING TO GET THEM TO SWITCH FROM PREVIOUSLY (It was whatsapp, i got them to switch to telegram). THEN HE TRIED to ARGUE with me about how TELEGRAM wasnt secure. HE SEARCHED "is telegram secure" on Google and chose the FIRST ARTICE from the previously mentioned, GIZMODO which says that TELEGRAM chats ARENT ENCRYPTED by DEFAULT. HOW THE FUCK DO DUMBASSES GET THIS KIND OF PUBLICITY. There's a difference between ENCRYPTION and END TO END DUMBASS. Then he told me whatsapp is more secure than telegram. NO ITS FUCKING NOT. In telegram, your encryption keys CHANGE every chat, or every 100 messages. To my best research, whatsapp only has ONE key per USER. I could go on forever about how chat backups in whatsapp are UNENCRYPTED or how FACEBOOK stores your data, but blocked you works to.6
So Patanjali(aka Ramdev Baba trying to sell you even a fucking underwear as ayurvedic and locally made) released their chat application "Kimbho" and was taken down within 24 hours because of major security flaws.
Some obvious ironies I would like to point out here.
1. Coming up with a chat application with gaping security flaws at this stage when privacy related discussions are happening at every nook and corner, worst move ever.
2. There are elections in 2019 and 1 year would be the right amount of time to gather data on public and start targetting and influencing people. It shouldn't be so obvious and everyone knows which political party Patanjali leans towards.
3. You are promoting an app citing Make In India initiative. You are the biggest Indian based FMCG operating in India, courtesy exploiting nationalist sentiments. Whatever you aim of doing, at least invest a decent amount of money in hiring good developers and designers. If not anything get a content writer who will write you an original description of your app for as low as ₹1000.
4. Promoting a competitor of whatsapp on whatsapp is a brilliant move. Give that marketting fellow a big raise.
5. Replacing the phone icon with a shankh is not innovation. Also, everyone knows about spam farms in Bangladesh and many places in India. So boasting about 1.5 lakh downloads in less than an hour only speaks more about your ignorance and lack of technical knowledge.
6. If you really are promoting "swadeshi app", why are you offering logging in through facebook? I mean even a blind person can clearly see your agenda here.
7. Hike is a messaging app made in India and they are here since long and still it are nowhere near the usage of whatsapp. Selling shit in the name of Make in India is not cool and its high time Patanjali realises this. But then again, it is their only marketting strategy because how else can you sell something as gross as cow urine and that too people buying it voluntarily.
8. If this stunt was carried out to be in the news, well played. You are getting a good amount of publicity, but this time a bad publicity will do more harm than good. People are calling out your bluff and you will get to see the results.
Mr. Baba Ramdev, fraud karo, itna blatant mat karo. India ki public sentimental hai chutiya nahi.7
My project is finally officially launched, it is a though and hard move since it's not yet finished.
Now for the next step, i need to find investors to fund our project. We got our publicity from news media, i hope i can get investors attention.
Nonetheless i'm proud from what i've created. I hope this company last
This is one of the picture from local news post about our launching.15
Oh yeah 🙌🏼 So here is the other thing! Many of us work on side projects where we build awesome stuff in our spare time. We don't get much publicity, userbase or conversions as we are not marketing people. So go ahead and write short desc about your product along with website link if you have any. Product screenshot is most welcome 😜 Don't forget to tag post with "mystartup" 🙌🏼 Looking forward to see awesome projects.4
My boss just added a video about a product in a whatsapp group that has all employees asking everyone to spread it to your personal groups 'to promote it as much as possible'.
Well, fuck this shit their cringy-ass music video makes me want to bleach my eyes. And how does this fucker expects us to spread his cancer in our groups for his profit?
Also half of the people in the group are sucking his dick already with replies like "Sure ✌" and "OK sir!!! ".
Fuck you morons grow a spine and stop bending over so easily to make others happy. 😐1
Protip: proposing a "simple yet beautiful" login form on Bootsnip with absolutely no knowledge of Bootstrap whatsoever, making it not responsive and centering it with hardwritten margins (such as: 'margin-left: 170px'), AND THEN proudly display "theme developed by WhoGives AShit" at the bottom won't make you any publicity at best. At worst, I'm gonna travel to India and won't leave before I erased the code you wrote by smashing your face on the "erase" key.1
Nice surprise today hiding in my snail-mail-box, among bills and publicity. It took a couple of months from NYC to Cheeseland, but the cute stickers are finally here!
Ideia: Making money creating apps with publicity
So I would like to know some stuff that I bet lots of devs would like to know too.
If it's possible to work from home doing apps /web pages and get enough income to be able to sustain a life without working for someone else.
I already have a job but it's a great ideia for anyone unemployed, students, anyone who wants to work from home.
If you have an app or site generating money can you provide your personal input?
Thank you in advance4
If any iOS developers are wanting a good repo to follow, I believe HeadGazeLib is about to take off.
There's been a few articles about how eBay is using head tracking to allow for hands free shopping (huge for accessibility!) If the rumors are true, then Apple should be announcing many more devices that support Facial Recognition (like the iPhone X). If they do, then there will a huge surge in games/apps that tap into that technology.
HeadGazeLib makes it super easy to incorporate Head Tracking in your apps, so I think with all the publicity, it will quickly rise to the #1 head tracking "add-on".
Last year I made an app to generate project names. It now has over 1,000 downloads on Google Play. Sounds small compared to others, but I'm quite impressed from a personal side project with no advertising or publicity.
well it wasn't "cutting-edge" but it was pretty ugly, yet good
it was called Instagrabber, it's still on GitLab, but it's archived
it was first open source project of mine which gained publicity of over 500 people, but in the end i let down lots of people by discontinuing it
if someone's interested in that stupid cringe project, search "Instagrabber source" or "Instagrabber Awais" and first GitLab or F-DROID link would be it. 😂😂🤦🏻♂️2
I am building a cooperative website for something that I care. I don't want anything to be more expensive than free, but I still have to pay for the servers. I don't intend to make gains with it.
What is better: a single add on the front page, not intrusive, or a Wikipedia-like campain every year to get the money to pay the servers?
I am opposed to any kind of publicity in my case: for me, internet was created and has to be keept with the spirit of sharing. I give money to wikipedia when I can, I support projects on kickstarters, etc. Adds are the oposite: they don't mean to share, but to sell, hence completely destroying the spirit of internet. But I also need to know that my site may not be visited by people with my point of view: olders wouldn't pay as easily as youngers, and my project targets a very large group of people.
Please help me making a decision, I think I will have a lot of different opinions!3