Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "visual studio 2019"
Me: Visual Studio 2019 is acting weird. I should close it and re-open.
Me: *Clicks X in top right of instance window*
Dialog: Not enough memory to perform this operation.
I have been a mobile developer working with Android for about 6 years now. In that time, I have endured countless annoyances in the Android development space. I will endure them no more.
My complaints are:
1. Ridiculous build times. In what universe is it acceptable for us to wait 30 seconds for a build to complete. Yes, I've done all the optimisations mentioned on this page and then some. Don't even mention hot reload as it doesn't work fast enough or just does not work at all. Also, buying better hardware should not be a requirement to build a simple Android app, Xcode builds in 2 seconds with a 8GB Macbook Air. A Macbook Air!
2. IDE. Android Studio is a memory hog even if you throw 32GB of RAM at it. The visual editors are janky as hell. If you use Eclipse, you may as well just chop off your fingers right now because you will have no use for them after you try and build an app from afresh. I mean, just look at some of the posts in this subreddit where the common response is to invalidate caches and restart. That should only be used as a last resort, but it's thrown about like as if it solves everything. Truth be told, it's Gradle's fault. Gradle is so annoying I've dedicated the next point to it.
3. Gradle. I am convinced that Gradle causes 50% of an Android developer's pain. From the build times to the integration into various IDEs to its insane package management system. Why do I need to manually exclude dependencies from other dependencies, the build tool should just handle it for me. C'mon it's 2019. Gradle is so bad that it requires approx 54GB of RAM to work out that I have removed a dependency from the list of dependencies. Also I cannot work out what properties I need to put in what block.
4. API. Android API is over-bloated and hellish. How do I schedule a recurring notification? Oh use an AlarmManager. Yes you heard right, an AlarmManager... Not a NotificationManager because that would be too easy. Also has anyone ever tried running a long running task? Or done an asynchronous task? Or dealt with closing/opening a keyboard? Or handling clicks from a RecyclerView? Yes, I know Android Jetpack aims to solve these issues but over the years I have become so jaded by things that have meant to solve other broken things, that there isn't much hope for Jetpack in my mind 😤
5. API 2. A non-insignificant number of Android users are still on Jelly Bean or KitKat! That means we, as developers, have to support some of your shitty API decisions (Fragments, Activities, ListView) from all the way back then!
6. Not reactive enough. Android has support for Databinding recently but this kind of stuff should have been introduced from the very start. Look at React or Flutter as to how easy it is to make shit happen without any effort.
7. Layouts. What the actual hell is going on here. MDPI, XHDPI, XXHDPI, mipmap, drawable. Fuck it, just chuck it all in the drawable folder. Seriously, Android should handle this for me. If I am designing for a larger screen then it should be responsive. I don't want to deal with 50 different layouts spread over 6 different folders.
8. Permission system. Why was this not included from the very start? Rogue apps have abused this and abused your user's privacy and security. Yet you ban us and not them from the Play Store. What's going on? We need answers.
9. In Android, building an app took me 3 months and I had a lot of work left to do but I got so sick of Android dev I dropped it in favour of Flutter. I built the same app in Flutter and it took me around a month and I completed it all.
If you're a new dev, for the love of all that is good in this world, do NOT get into Android development. Start with Flutter or even iOS. On Flutter and build times are insanely fast and the hot reload is under 500ms constantly. It's a breath of fresh air and will save you a lot of headaches AND it builds for iOS flawlessly.
To the people who build Android, advocate it and work on it, sorry to swear, but fuck you! You have created a mess that we have to work with on a day-to-day basis only for us to get banned from the app store! You have sold us a lie that Android development is amazing with all the sweet treat names and conferences that look bubbly and fun. You have allowed to get it so bad that we can't target an API higher than 18 because some Android users are still using devices that support that!
End this misery. End our pain. End our suffering. Throw this abomination away like you do with some of your other projects and migrate your efforts over to Flutter. Please!
#NoToGoogleIO #AndroidSummitBoycott #FlutterDev #ReactNative16
This one is about the SJWs in the software development community.
SJWs in general are a bunch of crying assholes.. software developers who are activists in online software dev sites are even worst.
Days ago, my visual studio 2019 RC notified me of a new version so I decided to look at the release notes. It was then when I read the most stupid fix ever included in a change log: "Visual Studio installer welcome image contains offensive element for Chinese."
Do you wanna know what that super offensive element in that image was? A GUY ON A BIKE WEARING A GREEN FUCKING HAT. Apparently in China this means someone's wife or sister is a prostitute.
I clicked on the link to read the actual feedback... and holy shit isn't that Chinese idiot an actual raging cunt.
In his stupid OP he is quoted saying: "this is serious".. FUCK YOU... your entire existence CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be considered SERIOUS at all you whining dick sucking asshole.
And to make matters worst: a "fix" was released for this within days and immediately made available to everyone.
Motherfucking assholes in Microsoft took this guy's shit seriously and were scared shitless not to offend a snowflake abomination of an excuse of a human being.
Who gives a crap.. if you are offended and you publicly announce it, you are telling everyone that you are a pathetic child who can't control his feelings and wants everyone else to do it for him/her.
Well assholes at Microsoft and the Chinese offended by this shit, removing the green hat is offensive to the Irish people... would you re-instate it? NO YOU WON'T.
Why? well this is easy to answer: Irish people are white. White people, by standards of SJW cucks, can't be offended and reverse racism doesn't exist towards white people.
I hope that Chinese cunt, and if he has a girlfriend which I very much doubt since he had time to make that stupid feedback in the first place, to die slowly, bleeding from every hole and some newly created ones too, while watching his girlfriend get fucked by a high-ranking member of the ruling communist party of his Chinese gov and she is enjoying it and with a big smile on her face just so he can die feeling like the shit human being he is.
People on that feedback thread have urged MS to revert the change, asked MS to direct resources at fixing things that are as trivial as this but yet to be addressed... only MS didn't give a fuck.
Here's the link to the feedback thread for those interested: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/...
If that asshole is here on devRant, here me out you raging cunt: I couldn't give a fuck less about you shit feelings or your stupid activism but I do care when idiots like you influence great software (incl. open source projects) just to feel good about yourself, to feel like you've accomplished something this week.
FUCK YOU all the way to hell.
For all other assholes (AKA SJWs) in the software community: software/computers don't give a fuck about your feelings. I'll beat you down to the depths of hell if you come at me with your progressive/equality/political correctness crap any day of the week... you just pick the day and I'm happy to oblige.49
Visual Studio 2019 is gonna look awesome… even though I don't get why the new "blue" theme will be violet. 🤔26
Jetbrains Rider is a VASTLY SUPERIOR ALTERNATIVE TO “VISUAL STUDIO 2019”
Wake up Microsoft, ffs WAKE UP. I cant BELIEVE YOU ARE MAKING MY LIFE WORSE NOW
I can get better syntax highlighting and save features on a fucking gameboy5
Oh my FUCKING GOD i HATE VISUAL STUDIO CODE, I just wanted to FUCKING OPEN A C++ CLASS IN VISUAL STUDIO 2019 FROM UNREAL ENGINE but for some FUCKING REASON my SCRIPT EDITOR WAS SET TO FUCKING VS CODE, and now 80% of my FUCKING CPU is being FUCKING USED AND I CAN'T FUCKING CLOSE IT AND ITS FUCKING FROZEN SO I CAN'T EVEN EDIT THE CLASS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA anyways thankyou for coming to my ted-talk9
New team, same discussions...
* Why should we use cmake? It is way better to add visual studio project files to the repository and allow everyone to mess around in the compiler setting dialogs. Nobody needs cmake if not targeting multiple platforms!
* clang-format? What kind of black magic is this? It is way better to manually try to stick with each source file's existing formatting - regardless of how messed up it is - and manually check that from time to time!
* Why should we use the latest visual studio 2019 compiler, if 2017 and 2015 do just fine? This way we can save license fees!
Just to mention a few highlights...13
Visual Studio 2019: there’s really no reason for me to explain why this is the best editor without question.7
Me at my new job: Can I please install a version controlling system to keep my codes organized?
Boss: why do you need it? can't you just navigate the directories?
Me: I will go mad in 2 years!
Opens VS 2019 ... sees Local Git Repo system... mind blown!!! :O9
For Java and Kotlin I use IntelliJ, for like config files and crap VsCode.
For C-ish languages Visual Studio Community 2019.
Microsoft has released Visual Studio 2019 version 16.6 with a new IntelliSense Linter to help C++ developers efficiently clean up code.
The tool IntelliSense checks code on the go, using squiggly lines to highlight problems and Lightbulb actions for suggested fixes.
The feature can be enabled in Visual Studio 2019 version 16.6 from the Preview Features within the Tools > Options menu.
Source : https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppb...1
I'm kind of excited about the development of Web assembly (wasm), and to see Blazor getting closer to a release is awesome.
Blazor Update: 'The End of the Experiment Is in Sight' -- Visual Studio Magazine
Does anyone know where can I enable the visual studio 2019 codelens on Mac M1? #codelens #vs2019 #macbookm15
WTF why does Visual C++ show an error in some system include BUT NOT THE FUCKING INCLUDE CHAIN DESPITE /showincludes GIVEN???
How the fuck are you supposed to find a wrongly defined macro that way? Go through all 20 layers of includes and map out what could POSSIBLY be the include chain? Seriously WHY??
if you need to make XML documentation comments in Visual Studio 2019 and you don't feel like doing it (like me), I recommend this little extension: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/...1