AboutAnalytical Chemist, Backend dev, DBA, QA/tester.
SkillsHaskell, Python, PHP, Go, Rust, JS
Joined devRant on 4/13/2017
Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
A shout out to Dear ImGui developers - super amazing job! Took me 1-2 hours to figure how things work from the examples.
A few C++ files is all I needed to integrate the GUI into my project, and it was rather painless.
My UI/UX skills are poor, so the awful interface is on me :)7
Ok so something weird is happening and i am both confused and a little scared.
Sometime ago i was surfing linkedin and found some nice companies having open opportunities for my profession that requires less experience.
So i just applied. and from that day, i have been getting calls of interview from not only them , but also many other companies.
I have currently gone through 2 rounds of 2 companies( 1 has already rejected) and 1 round of another company. and just today, 2 more companies called and scheduled interviews.
The problem is am not really looking to change roles and was just trying my luck. I mean, yeah my current employer doesn't pay much and i haven't got a position increase even though i have worked on almost 60% of the product, I still like my casual team with very less pressure. I am willing to go only if a reputed company is willing to give a bigger hike.
However these companies are asking so scary questions and i am playing hard to get:
- "Do you have an offer?" yes
- "are you serving notice period?" no but i just got the offer today, so i guess i should be writing the mail
- "what offer do you have?" (2x) my current salary
what should i do ? I don't wanna lie, but I just stumble if they ask stuff like that. heck i don't know if i even want to really leave the job. plus if my boss got to know this, they sure gonna make my lies real, no?6
Starting to learn Haskell/type theory. I have put it off long enough and I hope this time I can get past the 5 minute intro/overview.
So far the only functional programming I have done is trying to write/use functions that take state in parameters only and limiting side effects (that I know of).
Expecting to have my mind blown and to get a monocle too.3
No matter what JS framework/library holds the #1 spot at any given time, jQuery will always have a special place in my heart.12
Having a PM is like having a little kid, while driving somewhere, and he's constantly asking: "Are we there yet??".10
Sorry for the so many jobs I didn't applied because I thought Scrum is a js framework XD omg... Actually... omg.5
Why do people like Go so much? The more I use it the more angry I get, it's like the designers thought people were too dumb for C so made a patronising version ignoring the last 20 years of language design. Fucking null checks everywhere! Just give me a result monad!6
I am in tears.
My manager had a lot of pressure to relocate to the US.
She wasn't able to do so and had to leave the company on mutual terms.
Not only we'll be working with someone new but also my manager was fucking amazing person.
A gem who walked into my life, flipped my life and now goes away.
Why the good people have to leave...
I was so wrong to think about her the wrong way even when I saw this coming.
I really hope that I stay in touch with these awesome people and grow along with them for a long time.
It hurts me when I lose good connections.
Fuck me! Can't even think clearly right now.6
I told you all. I fucking told you. Nobody listened to me.
Good people just leave.
This dude who I look upto and is kind of my mentor in the org and has spent a decade here, just resigned.
What the fuck!!!!
And with that, the attrition in product team is insanely high, to the point that it's scary.
My manager is not responsive and is often reactive instead of being proactive.
While the leadership is super excited about the product and everyone says they are hiring more and more people in product team, the design says our product is not a priority for them and we are just left with one design resource.
I was conversing with my colleague and we both are super scared that they shouldn't scrap the product and fire us.
This seems unlikely with all the logical calculations that we did but in a capitalist system we have to be prepared for anything.
I am shit scared right now because there is no clarity on what could happen next.
On the other hand, my skip level manager is taking a lot of interest in my work and is working very closely with me and taking more ownership of our product than my direct manager.
Everyone says our product is a top priority and tech is super agressive about it.
One thing that could happen is my manager leaving and not telling us about it upfront.
In which we would just report to our skip level manager and growth chances would be even better.
But at this stage, this seems super scary to me.3
Manager: I don’t care if it has bugs, if we don’t ship it this Friday I’ll have to redraw my Gantt chart AND I’M RUNNING LOW ON CRAYONS!!!9
Dear PM: In the next couple weeks, I'm going to be taking sprint tasks on 4 teams instead of the usual 1 team. I'm concerned that I'll be too divided to deliver on any of them well.
Dear Dev: Should be fine, since you don't have to do those tasks all at the same time. It's like . . . you don't have to commute to the office and do your job at the same time.4
Y'all ever learn something and just kinda smile about it?
I finally got a decent understanding of lower level concurrency control like mutexes and sephamores (I knew about atomicity before but never knew how it was implemented) and I just got this huge grin across my face.7
Easy - an actress. My drama queen skills are out of this world, and I am a master emotional manipulator.
I was accepted to acting school but my mom put a veto on it, and said first I need to get a real profession and then I can make stupid choices.
But after my engineering degree and army service I was too old for sucking cock in LA.
So here I am doing my robotics PhD. Feel sorry for my lab mates having to take my melodramatic shit on the daily.56
I don't usually check who follows me on GitHub but holy shit!
How did it reach this far
What did I even do
I used to measure my performance in features per day (or week, depending on their scope), or tasks/day or loc/day for huge projects. My usual was two to three small features a day, and some progress on a larger one.
Now I’m so burned out and depressed that i measure my progress in the amount of days per week that aren’t “zeros” — as in days where i get literally nothing done. Now any day where i get _anything_ done, no matter how little, is a “good day.” I partially refactored about fifty lines of json builder spaghetti on Tuesday. That was a great day.
This week I’ve had two zeros, and it’s Thursday morning. I think it’s going to be a three zero week.
Worse: performance reviews were due weeks ago. I still haven’t written mine, and have no idea what i would even write. How can i make myself sound good when i can barely even force myself to eat or take a shower?52
I just nailed an online interview for a job that I’ve been trying to get for ages
However, during the interview my dog just would not stop barking. I told the interviewer that I needed just a second to take care of it, and I got up to put my dog in another room.
Although I had a nice dress shirt on to appear professional, I didn’t think it was necessary to put on dress pants since only my upper half would be on screen, I instead opted for a pair of comfortable green athletic shorts and moccasins. I did not realize until after the interview was over that I had accidentally made a fool of myself by showing my entire outfit while walking to my bedroom door. I bet he will have a good laugh with his colleagues about that one.9
3 SQL Databases went into a NoSQL Bar.
After a while, they walked out because
They couldn't find tables there.5
I am pissed at the way the our current SDLC is happening . i have been giving builds every 2 or 3 days since last week and their have been no major bugs. but just today, thursday, a day before final build, we get a million bugs, most of which are as follows, alongside my inner thoughts:
- requirement changes : "The design showed that there is a new ui for textbox, it didn't showed how much lines should it take. I am not an idiot to change it to 1 instead of 2 from the old design, out of my own mind QA karen!"
- lack of requirement understanding of the requirement : "Dear QA dave, I made the code using same ticket that you used for testing. how come i understood and made it and you couldn't? Why should you be asking me about this and not the PM?"
- lack of understanding of old behavior: "Dear QA dave, I spend fucking 2 days licking the boots of seniors to understand how the code work. I had just 3 days to provide first build. you had 7 days to understand the story. you should have licked someone's dick too to understand the story!
- miscommunication: "Deary karen. i appreciate your female balls to get even the story changed , even though you are a QA and not PM, and the way you did it oh so strongly by calling me 2 hours after the office hours with PM kim in the meeting. I will gladly do the changes now you got so many witnesses. but its not my fucking job to inform other devs to make changes. you or kim should be doing that and informing ios/web/embedded or all the fucking townhall !"
- bugs from old code: "dear karen, that's very nice of you to revisit old code and suddenly find a bug. but keep in mind that yours and dave's stupidity has also causes my ticket numbers to flood. I have to identify the valid bugs out of these, comment on your stupid shit , break out of all the current logics and stuff running in my mind in regards to current sprint and then i could look into this"
- reporting same bug again and again : "Deary karen. that's a very good thing that you caught an already known bug , clappings!! but we have said it once and we will say it again: if you wanna get it fixed, keep it for 1 particular sprint where i will be focusing on researching the root cause and possible solution. if i couldn't , then fuck this bug. STOP acting like a sales person trying to reach your targets by raising stupid shit as bug , before the release"
- lack of better testing and validation of code before merging: Dear TL John ,I respect you as the most awesome, reliable person of this ... company. you have been in this game for years before i even got my computer. i am just a humble out of school guy in front of you, with a tiny inch of knowledge. I took all the knowledge from you regarding the code, but i may have missed some paritcular thing, that you already would know.then why are you not mentioning those in review? even I, the guy with just an year of experience building apps, will politely inform you that you missed setting a fallback image while making this call, but you won' tell me that i missed updating my list somewhere? are you trying to intentionally get me into QA's shit??
- someone else's bugs on me: ugh.. senior bro randy... you seem so calm, and i always have peace when we are both working on some stuff. but why the hell team tries to discuss your bugs with me? can't you jump in even after i try to tag you a million times? and once again dear TL john, I am making PR to randy, not vice versa. i don't know any shit he added in code, don't think i can handle his bugs when he is celebrating holiday for their local festival . even you would know more as you reviewed both of our codes as a single branch before merging.
Now if i have to play blame games , i can easily point 1 finger at our QA team, 1 finger at our reviewer and remaining fingers at myself for getting into this situation. But I am lowly junior fresher dev who just started seeing decent money for the first time in life.
So instead i yield and show up my bare ass to them to fuck and make me sit on laptop for 14-15 hours even after the office hours10
Me: figuring out APT-69420 (hacker group) representative is a girl.
Also me: Woohoo! You go girl!
Also me: ... Wait, am I being sexist?
😐 idek anymore...
Anyways, them camera footages they released tho...18
Fuck you haters, I'm not dying of corona so PHP dies with it.
PHP is an amazing language. It has evolved nicely has almost all high performing functionally you need build in. Has a good package manager eco system. It's insanely fast (since 7.0, older versions where just fast with opcache).
Most of the called out inconsistencies are actually because it is consistently following C/POSIX equivalent or people that don't understand dynamic typing (it doesn't mean any shit will stick).
Fuck off with your JS backend solution because it's faster...
This is a big thanks to all the amazing members of the PHP community that worked hard to make PHP the great language it is today!!!84
When I started coding, I thought that TODO came from Spanish "todo" : "everything" / "all". As in, write all of your code here. The entire project has become a TODO5