Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "devducks"
First off, a Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I are very happy with the year devRant has had, and thinking back, there are a lot of 2017 highlights to recap. Here are just a few of the ones that come to mind (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff!):
- We introduced the devRant supporter program (devRant++)! (https://devrant.com/rants/638594/...). Thank you so much to everyone who has embraced devRant++! This program has helped us significantly and it's made it possible for us to mantain our current infrustructure and not have to cut down on servers/sacrifice app performance and stability.
- We added avatar pets (https://devrant.com/rants/455860/...)
- We finally got the domain devrant.com thanks to @wiardvanrij (https://devrant.com/rants/938509/...)
- The first international devRant meetup (Dutch) with organized by @linuxxx and was a huge success (https://devrant.com/rants/937319/... + https://devrant.com/rants/935713/...)
- We reached 50,000 downloads on Android (https://devrant.com/rants/728421/...)
- We introduced notif tabs (https://devrant.com/rants/1037456/...), which make it easy to filter your in-app notifications by type
- @AlexDeLarge became the first devRant user to hit 50,000++ (https://devrant.com/rants/885432/...), and @linuxxx became the first to hit 75,000++
- We made an April Fools joke that got a lot of people mad at us and hopefully got some laughs too (https://devrant.com/rants/506740/...)
- We launched devDucks!! (https://devducks.com)
- We got rid of the drawer menu in our mobile apps and switched to a tab layout
- We added the ability to subscribe to any user's rants (https://devrant.com/rants/538170/...)
- Introduced the post type selector (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...) (which will be used for filtering - more details below)
- Started a bug/feature tracker GitHub repo (https://github.com/devRant/devRant)
- We did our first ever live stream (https://youtube.com/watch/...)
- Added an awesome all-black theme (devRant++) (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...)
- We created an "active discussions" screen within the app so you can easily find rants with booming discussions!
- Thanks to the suggestion of many community members, we added "scroll to bottom" functionality to rants with long comment threads to make those rants more usable
- We improved our app stability and set our personal record for uptime, and we also cut request times in half with some database cluster upgrades
- Awesome new community projects: https://devrant.com/projects (more will be added to the list soon, sorry for the delay!)
- A new landing page for web (https://devrant.com), that was the first phase of our web overhaul coming soon (see below)
Even after all of this stuff, Tim and I both know there is a ton of work to do going forward and we want to continue to make devRant as good as it can be. We rely on your feedback to make that happen and we encourage everyone to keep submitting and discussing ideas in the bug/feature tracker (https://github.com/devRant/devRant).
We only have a little bit of the roadmap right now, but here's some things 2018 will bring:
- A brand new devRant web app: we've heard the feedback loud and clear. This is our top priority right now, and we're happy to say the completely redesigned/overhauled devRant web experience is almost done and will be released in early 2018. We think everyone will really like it.
- Functionality to filter rants by type: this feature was always planned since we introduced notif types, and it will soon be implemented. The notif type filter will allow you to select the types of rants you want to see for any of the sorting methods.
- App stability and usability: we want to dedicate a little time to making sure we don't forget to fix some long-standing bugs with our iOS/Android apps. This includes UI issues, push notification problems on Android, any many other small but annoying problems. We know the stability and usability of devRant is very important to the community, so it's important for us to give it the attention it deserves.
- Improved profiles/avatars: we can't reveal a ton here yet, but we've got some pretty cool ideas that we think everyone will enjoy.
- Private messaging: we think a PM system can add a lot to the app and make it much more intuitive to reach out to people privately. However, Tim and I believe in only launching carefully developed features, so rest assured that a lot of thought will be going into the system to maximize privacy, provide settings that make it easy to turn off, and provide security features that make it very difficult for abuse to take place. We're also open to any ideas here, so just let us know what you might be thinking.
There will be many more additions, but those are just a few we have in mind right now.
We've had a great year, and we really can't thank every member of the devRant community enough. We've always gotten amazingly positive feedback from the community, and we really do appreciate it. One of the most awesome things is when some compliments the kindness of the devRant community itself, which we hear a lot. It really is such a welcoming community and we love seeing devs of all kind and geographic locations welcomed with open arms.
2018 will be an important year for devRant as we continue to grow and we will need to continue the momentum. We think the ideas we have right now and the ones that will come from community feedback going forward will allow us to make this a big year and continue to improve the devRant community.
Thanks everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2018,
- David and Tim55
devDuck holiday promotion! For every duck you order from now until the end of the year, we'll include a free adorable Santa hat to help keep your debugging in the holiday spirit! Order now from our swag store: https://swag.devrant.com/collection...43
A devDuck update!
First off, thank you to everyone who has purchased a devDuck (or a bunch!) and thanks to all who have given us feedback. @trogus and I are thrilled at the incredible response these ducks have gotten. If you haven’t seen them yet, you can check them out at https://devDucks.com or the devRant Swag Shop (https://swag.devrant.io).
We are trying to process all of the orders as quickly as possible and our goal is to have all current orders out by the middle of this coming week. Many orders have already shipped, but if yours hasn’t, rest assured it will very soon!
If you ordered a Java devDuck or cape, your order might be delayed a bit until the middle of this coming week because Java seems to be a heavily-demanded cape and we needed to get the material shipped in to make more of that, specifically.
So far we’ve gotten some awesome feedback from the community. A short list of possible future additions based on what’s been requested: Go devDuck, Kotlin devDuck, Perl devDuck, Android devDuck, and possibly some devDuck accessories like little hats, sunglasses, headphones, etc. If you have any other ideas just let us know:)
Lastly, please know that even with the launch of devDucks, we remain extremely committed to the devRant product and we have some very exciting big devRant features coming very soon.
Thanks again everyone!28
Q: As a programmer in devRant, which one do you choose? The small one, the middle one or the largest?
A: Fine, I choose the white one...22
I came from a village, we have animals (like a farm), pigs, chicken, sometimes duck and goose. One day I had to work from home, bc had to come back to parents house. Our daily skype meeting was like this:
* discussing very important IT stuff *
* grandma rushes into my room *
me: sorry, but i have a meeting
grandma: i just wan...
me: but i cannot right no...
grandma: just wanted to know if...
me: grandma, I cannot right now, we have a skyp... im talking with colleagues, on the computer
grandma: * quiet voice * okay, i dont want to interrupt, I just want to know - Did you ordered the ducks?
* what I hear in headphones: collegues and boss LOLd sooo hard *
me: ffs, what ducks?
grandma: did your father not give you the guys number?
me: * starting to sweat * what guy? no he didnt, i have no idea what youre talking about
grandma: * disappointed * then who gonna order them...?
grandma: * standing next to me, she hears the laughter * whats that?
since then, if im working from home every skype meeting starts with "Tommy, is your grandma there? HAHA!"7
Probably the first one to get kickass devDucks! Thanks @dfox for hand delivering them. You always make sure that I have swags before everyone. Ducks are amazing and great great great quality. Duck currently I’ve on my desk gonna feel jealous now!5
I waited until yesterday evening to watch the livestream capture from our creators.
Was expecting something like them being bought by MS or Google or whatever due to how good this awesome network is doing/growing.
As so, i was mentally preparing for a goodbye (the second this data gets into the hands of a data hogging company I'm fucking out (as in, the one who owns the databases)) and then I started watching the livestream.
"aaand here it issssss!!"
Well that was one hell of a relief!14
*Just got a package delivered, didn't check yet*
Friend: who sends you stuff from from the USA?
I (excited as fuck): uh it must be my
Friend: your what?
I explain, he walks away not giving a fuck.
But I don't care what he thinks, i love my new devDucks. Oh and special thanks to @dfox for the autograph. Well technically you just signed the customs declaration, but an autograph none the less.3
Our live stream announcement and Q&A will be going live in less than 30 mins (9pm EDT)!
The event is here: https://youtu.be/Vk7TIKadYHk
We will be taking questions on the YouTube chat, feel free to ask whatever you want!
Thanks to all who tune in, hope you enjoy!
EDIT: big thanks to everyone who joined us and participated! The replay is available at the YouTube link above, and you can check out devDucks in the devRant swag store (https://swag.devrant.io) or the page we set up at http://devducks.com20
So the devDucks arrived today and the dog is more excited than I am. He's been staring at the box the whole time.14
My devDucks are here! Love at first sight 😍😍😍😍
I can finally talk to someone who will understand me 😂6
The long awaited DevDucks arrived! New partners in debugging :D
++ to devRant, those capes are really neat.10
He makes university trips as well now, after having settled at home. He's adapted to the student life well.6
So, I was shopping with @terrus and we found this lost duck in the bakery shelf. We felt it was a call of fate... Obviously, we bought two of them 🦆🦆❤️2
Small feature request, but I think it would be cool if you guys could add some devducks with colored capes as well as keep the classic yellow duck as an option inside Desk Items (L).
I know its impractical to add text for obvious readability issues, but I think the base color of the actual capes would be cool, you know to match your current devduck irl :) Maybe keep the classic duck at +100 and have a higher ++ for the devducks with capes? Anyways, I'll just leave this here...
DevDuck Cape Colors:
#222242 // Purple
#b22028 // Red
#f4f6f9 // White
#f4753e // Orange
#171615 // Black
#3a6894 // Blue3
When ordering devDucks after best selling php is still in front of c++. I thought we agreed on hating it?4
Remember how my course paper used a de duck image?
Asked the writer about it, apparently he wasn't aware of devRant and that devducks were a thing (he did know about rubber duck debugging).
He just took the image from Google and after I explained they were real he ordered a couple :D4
hey, i have been there for some time now, love you all and this wonderful community.
You guys gave me so much fun during my long coding night, between two hot chocolate ;)
Finally got my devduck, obviously my productivity will increase by 150% now !
I'm planning to offer the second to my best friend for Christmas, any idea of a fun way to do it ? :)3
Can I just say that the devducks in the store are a genius freakin' idea? I'm definitely going to pick one up once I get some cash (which is never).
But seriously, those are really cool. And I want one.
Say hello to the ducks family! 😁 (I know, couldn't get the devrant ones, shipping fees are too much 😷)
My devDucks just arrived today and I am so happy, and I have to share with all of you the awesome person dfox is for making sure they wouldn't get stuck in customs (here in Portugal they are really restrictive with the price limit). I wouldn't mind paying the customs fee, but you spared me of all the trouble. Many thanks!
Now that we have devDucks with capes, if we get one will be getting also a virtual cape for our virtual devDuck? It would be really nice to have it, just a random idea :)3
Struggling to debug a test which prints out like 400-500 lines of logs in console and I can't find any of those to be useful.
Me while debugging with DevRant ..
Is this the end of my life!!!!
Even without a wife..
I should start collecting some bucks,
And buy some ducks,
To accompany me through the mist of the unknown console logs,
Playing treasure hunt,
And find out the hidden treasure behind this mist2
Aaand my ducks are on their way to me
If only international shipping werent so high, id have many more ducks2
I did not fully understand dev ducks untill my project partner said I used him as a dev duck. I wonder how long it would take until he gets me one.
There is a devDucks cape, but not an apron. I am too lazy to pull the cape off, turn 180 degrees, and put back on to make a apron.
Can you sell as an apron from the first time?4
I got my dev ducks in recently (React, C++ and C#) but brought them to work before I took pictures and now I can't show you guys because I am not allowed to take pictures at work.
Believe me, I have them.2
"...researchers have delved into "the dark side" of inviting rubber ducks and other flexible plastic toys into our tubs. "
Be careful playing around with you devDucks xD1