Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "happy holidays"
First off, a Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I are very happy with the year devRant has had, and thinking back, there are a lot of 2017 highlights to recap. Here are just a few of the ones that come to mind (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff!):
- We introduced the devRant supporter program (devRant++)! (https://devrant.com/rants/638594/...). Thank you so much to everyone who has embraced devRant++! This program has helped us significantly and it's made it possible for us to mantain our current infrustructure and not have to cut down on servers/sacrifice app performance and stability.
- We added avatar pets (https://devrant.com/rants/455860/...)
- We finally got the domain devrant.com thanks to @wiardvanrij (https://devrant.com/rants/938509/...)
- The first international devRant meetup (Dutch) with organized by @linuxxx and was a huge success (https://devrant.com/rants/937319/... + https://devrant.com/rants/935713/...)
- We reached 50,000 downloads on Android (https://devrant.com/rants/728421/...)
- We introduced notif tabs (https://devrant.com/rants/1037456/...), which make it easy to filter your in-app notifications by type
- @AlexDeLarge became the first devRant user to hit 50,000++ (https://devrant.com/rants/885432/...), and @linuxxx became the first to hit 75,000++
- We made an April Fools joke that got a lot of people mad at us and hopefully got some laughs too (https://devrant.com/rants/506740/...)
- We launched devDucks!! (https://devducks.com)
- We got rid of the drawer menu in our mobile apps and switched to a tab layout
- We added the ability to subscribe to any user's rants (https://devrant.com/rants/538170/...)
- Introduced the post type selector (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...) (which will be used for filtering - more details below)
- Started a bug/feature tracker GitHub repo (https://github.com/devRant/devRant)
- We did our first ever live stream (https://youtube.com/watch/...)
- Added an awesome all-black theme (devRant++) (https://devrant.com/rants/850978/...)
- We created an "active discussions" screen within the app so you can easily find rants with booming discussions!
- Thanks to the suggestion of many community members, we added "scroll to bottom" functionality to rants with long comment threads to make those rants more usable
- We improved our app stability and set our personal record for uptime, and we also cut request times in half with some database cluster upgrades
- Awesome new community projects: https://devrant.com/projects (more will be added to the list soon, sorry for the delay!)
- A new landing page for web (https://devrant.com), that was the first phase of our web overhaul coming soon (see below)
Even after all of this stuff, Tim and I both know there is a ton of work to do going forward and we want to continue to make devRant as good as it can be. We rely on your feedback to make that happen and we encourage everyone to keep submitting and discussing ideas in the bug/feature tracker (https://github.com/devRant/devRant).
We only have a little bit of the roadmap right now, but here's some things 2018 will bring:
- A brand new devRant web app: we've heard the feedback loud and clear. This is our top priority right now, and we're happy to say the completely redesigned/overhauled devRant web experience is almost done and will be released in early 2018. We think everyone will really like it.
- Functionality to filter rants by type: this feature was always planned since we introduced notif types, and it will soon be implemented. The notif type filter will allow you to select the types of rants you want to see for any of the sorting methods.
- App stability and usability: we want to dedicate a little time to making sure we don't forget to fix some long-standing bugs with our iOS/Android apps. This includes UI issues, push notification problems on Android, any many other small but annoying problems. We know the stability and usability of devRant is very important to the community, so it's important for us to give it the attention it deserves.
- Improved profiles/avatars: we can't reveal a ton here yet, but we've got some pretty cool ideas that we think everyone will enjoy.
- Private messaging: we think a PM system can add a lot to the app and make it much more intuitive to reach out to people privately. However, Tim and I believe in only launching carefully developed features, so rest assured that a lot of thought will be going into the system to maximize privacy, provide settings that make it easy to turn off, and provide security features that make it very difficult for abuse to take place. We're also open to any ideas here, so just let us know what you might be thinking.
There will be many more additions, but those are just a few we have in mind right now.
We've had a great year, and we really can't thank every member of the devRant community enough. We've always gotten amazingly positive feedback from the community, and we really do appreciate it. One of the most awesome things is when some compliments the kindness of the devRant community itself, which we hear a lot. It really is such a welcoming community and we love seeing devs of all kind and geographic locations welcomed with open arms.
2018 will be an important year for devRant as we continue to grow and we will need to continue the momentum. We think the ideas we have right now and the ones that will come from community feedback going forward will allow us to make this a big year and continue to improve the devRant community.
Thanks everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2018,
- David and Tim54
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, happy holidays to everyone, and happy almost-new-year!
Tim and I wanted to reflect on the year devRant has had, and looking back, there are a lot of awesome things that happened in 2018 that we are very thankful for. Here are just a few of the ones that we thought of (this list is not exhaustive and I'm definitley forgetting stuff, so please comment about those!):
- After nearly a year in the making, the completely overhauled devRant web version was launched (https://devrant.com/rants/1255714/...)
- @linuxxx became the first devRant user to hit 100,000++! (https://devrant.com/rants/1157415/...)
- We once again pulled off the greatest April fools joke everrrr (https://devrant.com/rants/1311206/...)
- @trogus started making awesome devComics and http://devcomics.com was launched
- We added a feature to allow rant filtering by post type (https://devrant.com/rants/1354275/...)
- We made it so avatars could have expressions! (https://devrant.com/rants/1563683/...)
- We had a booth at TechDay New York and got to meet some devRant users! (https://devrant.com/rants/1394067/...)
- We made major backend architectural improvements - including spinning up a special high-powered-CPU web server to handle avatar creation and make the creation process much faster (https://devrant.com/rants/1370938/...)
- App stability: mainly Android - we fixed crashes, did a push-notif overhaul, and tried to continue making the apps better and more stable
- A record amount of devRant meetups were held, and we couldn't be more proud about that, and we thank every person who organized one! (just a few: https://devrant.com/rants/1588218/... https://devrant.com/rants/1884724/... https://devrant.com/rants/1683365/... https://devrant.com/rants/1922950/...)
We had a busy year, and despite some things going on for us personally and some setbacks around those, we think this was a very productve year for devRant and that we are going in the right direction. We're continuing to constantly evaluate feedback from members of the community to decide where to take the app next. We're fully committed to improving the devRant community in 2019 and we have a lot of ideas about how we can do that. We're working on some things, but we're not really announcing them yet, so please sit tight for those :) In the meantime, feel free to let us know what you'd like to see improved/added the most as we always like to get updated feedback from the community.
As always, thank you everyone, and thanks for your amazing contributions to the devRant community!
Looking forward to 2019,
- David and Tim32
devDuck holiday promotion! For every duck you order from now until the end of the year, we'll include a free adorable Santa hat to help keep your debugging in the holiday spirit! Order now from our swag store: https://swag.devrant.com/collection...43
My boss: "I have an idea for a very important update that we should push to all our apps ASAP."
Me: "I'm not adding a Santa hat to the icons."
My Boss: "............... Carry on"4
Don't push to prod today!
But if you do,
Make sure you
Test it all the way!
Happy holidays, y'all!4
My respect for Dell just went up.
During the christmas holidays, we have quite a few employees taking time off to spend it with their friends and families instead of sitting in front of a computer, staring at emails.
We hope that you, once you start employing people in your own future business, understand that happy employees are good and productive employees, and understand the value of a healthy work life balance.
That said, we will not be able to respond in a timely manner, so please expect a delay.
We wish you a happy holiday, and hope you enjoy the season break.
Eligible EMEA countries are : United Kingdom; Switzerland; Spain; Netherlands; Italy; Ireland; Germany; France; Belgium; Norway; Sweden; Denmark.
The Dell Advantage team
Hello world, I'm a 20 year-old CS student and I've been following you all from the shadows for a year now. I finally decided to join you, so here I am! I've got to say that I love this app and the community, so I'm happy to be part of it now. I'm currently on holidays, but I can't wait to share some good ol' rants once the uni starts again!
got a mail 10 minutes after I finished a 10h shift that my contract won't be refreshed after 4 years ripping my ass off for this fucked up organization. apparently not because of lack of competence but of personal reasons. that's what you get for not being a sheep and having an opinion. my (ex)boss didn't even have the balls to say it to my face.
fuck them! I don't need people like that around me - neither in my spare time nor at work - and I wish them all the worst.
happy holidays motherfuckers!5
So, my wife is in the hospital with two of the kids for an annual checkup. Should be nothing to worry about but still it's stressful and I want to be there.
I'd booked the day off (until the end of the week) and last week I got told, you've taken too many holidays, just the Friday is approved.
Ok, fine, I'll do some extra hours work from home and be there for the appointment. But fuck no, they schedule an "important" client meeting this morning and I'm required to attend.
TWO FUCKING HOURS and I contributed a sum total of 2 sentences which could have been filled in just as well by the other developer on the call
Just another reason I'm happy to be interviewing at other companies.7
Heading out to see family tomorrow. My Christmas wish this year is for my dad to not ask me to repair his computer.
I have a Ubuntu thumb-drive to solve all his troubles anyways. :D
Happy Holidays everybody.5
Get. Me. Out. Of. Here.
Dinner already started one hour ago, they are still eating the Fucking Entrée ( Starter in english i guess ? )
They tell the same fucking story every fucking year. I don't even know if they got a brain, no one seems to remember the Fucking story exept me,and they are all pleased with this shitty uninteresting shit.
The youngest exept me is 47, i'm fucking 17. HEEEEEELP
And now ? Hoo, a fucking debate about how technology is stealing their fucking jobs where no one listen to me even if i could probably teach them some fucking stuff on that fucking subject.
Can't wait for the fucking "videos games make young brutal and dumb". Probably coming soon.
Anyway, hope you guys get more fun than me tonight and Happy Holidays yay14
!dev but actual long rant - about the students in my grade.
TL;DR: 1 asshole in 10 people can ruin everything. Mobbing sucks. I dislike parties.
There's the word "Jahrgang" in Germany which means the people in the same school year as you. I'll refer to it as "my (collective) classmates" although we don't have classes anymore, rather courses and I also mean those I do not have courses with.
With that out of the way, let the rant begin.
It's often the case that people with high logical and intellectual skills (no being arrogant, other people categorize me like that) have a lack of social skills - or empathy.
I'm a kind of an outsider in a way that since 10th grade I stopped trying to attach myself to certain groups since I do not fit in there. I'm fine with that now. Nowadays I can at least socialize with other nerds.
Here's why I dislike the collective of my classmates. This year is my last school year and as always, a big group forms a spirit. They have a theme (superheroes - super boring). I didn't go to any party they threw and I don't plan to go to the graduation ceremony as well since it's an unofficial party and not a school event. I hate parties. I hate alc and drunken teenagers. I didn't attend the "Kursfahrt" - a kind of excursion that's like holidays with your course - mainly because I dislike my "Stammkurs" (main course).
Why? I had a friend in this course. She was short, geeky and I could actually talk to her. Yet some jerks (not intensely) bullied her because "she was awkward" and in the end, she switched school - also because of other reasons.
When she was gone, even those who didn't bully her and who are considered "nice" made fun of her and talked badly about her - and me hanging around with her. So since then, I avoid anything with them that's not 100% school related.
Now they're planning what we call "Abigag" - it's a joke/prank the graduates pull on the school and younger students, something funny like an entrance room full of balloons and many other things. Also, the "Abizeitung", the yearbook the graduates put out with articles about their courses, teacher ranking and quotes etc. Also, a cabaret evening from the graduates to collect money for the graduation party. Cool stuff actually. I thought about taking part.
I'd say my talents are creativity and computer stuff. So a friend chatted with me about nerdy pranks like a school-wide wallpaper change. Or releasing a fake password list of the teachers - claiming we hacked them - with puns and insiders about the teaches. He said he gotta invite me into the WhatsApp group of the Abi prank. Disclaimer: He's one of those people who are socialized but still able to talk with me. He's fine.
Well guess what he told me later:
They don't want me on the team since I distance myself from my classmates. I should either be fully one of them or not at all.
That's enough. Who distances whom? I thought they were happy to have me on board but horse shit! Stuck with ideologies from the 19th century.
They can lick my ***. I don't have anything against most of them in person but as a collective, they're just fucking stupid. I guess it wasn't even the majority saying they don't want me to help. It was probably just the small crew of leading and loud jerks. And no one would disagree with them saying "Why not? He wants to help?" (even if it was their opinion) - they don't have the brain or balls to say anything against the strong idiot leaders. They'll do great later in politics as an adult - they wouldn't criticize Hitler if they were under his "protection".
So I won't take part in making Abi pranks, - but also not the Paper and cabaret eve. They can go jerk off to being part of a huge collection of assholes - which I, in all my pride, am not part of other than on paper.
(Disclaimer: No critics to other outsiders but those who were engaged and responsible for the choice of not letting me help)
If anyone actually read this:
Who were/are you in school times?
A proud outsider like me? Party boi/girl? Engaged striver?33
To whom it nay concern,
Merry Christmas (yeah...we do that stuff on the 24th, here in Germany) and happy holidays.
Me, myself and I
You know it's the holidays when you go to your parents house for dinner and fix the router, your mom's phone, your dad's iPhone, the smart tv, your brothers email account reset, your grandmas prehistoric phone and then you go to your wife's family for dinner and you find yourself fixing her mom's iPhone, her dad's laptop her uncle's tablet, her cousin's ps4 and every freaking thing that connects to the Wi-Fi. Well, it's the holidays, at least there was food and drinks all around...Happy New Year everyone 🍷2
Me and my stress ball are starting to get quite ready for Christmas :/
Maybe after the holidays the smiley will be back?
Happy Holidays fellow ranters!
P.S. Don't code too much during your holidays3
Boy do I love when Snapchat sends me a snap telling me happy father's day.
I don't even know who my father is but thanks for the reminder assholes.
I wonder what dipshit thought that sending everyone on Snapchat messages during all sorts of holidays that not everyone celebrates was a good idea.9
Tooday ... Shit day
Anonce buisness shutdown and everybody losses is job including me 😥 happy holidays everybody ... Fuck this commercial badluck fucking snowy shit seasons !12
Quick reminder: don't deploy to production on you last working day before holidays :)
Wish you all happy new year)
Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Just lost 20h+ of work. Not getting it back. :( Have to start all over again.
My personal project(Android game[see last post]) is gone. Because I was developing it on multiple machines simultaneously I had the awesome idea to save ALL project files on an USB-stick. Ally other files are backed up(2 times), but for some reason I forgot to back this project up. Today I had to make a bootable USB-Stick. Guess which stick I used..... Without backing up the files, I wiped and overwrote it. Happy holidays everyone :(6
Looking back on my Christmas holidays while waiting for my train to come.
I wrote my last exam on the 22, took the train home on 23, spent Christmas and the 25 with my family, searched for a new apartment for 3 days, had two days left to do an assignment due to the 30, was packing till 3 in the morning today and will have my first day of work tomorrow. (Yeah, I spend new year's Eve home alone and completely sober...)
I wonder when I will have an entire meltdown and become some Joker level psychopath... Also happy new year everybody 😁6
me: *starts receiving emails of clients having technical problems and errors and asking for help* wat, im being flooded with all these mails!
me: *sends email to boss* umm... i think im receiving the wrong mails...
boss: nope! from now on, you'll be in-charge of tech support for our clients. good luck and merry christmas!
me: *dies internally* happy holidays to u too5
Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays, everyone! 😊
I hope everyone is able to relax a bit and the aggravating family conversations will be kept at bay5
Just before the holidays started I was given a task by my manager, $M.
$M: "Kyntak, while I'm away I want you to look into this new way of starting $important_service"
$me: "Okay $M, is there a bug for this that explains what is needed?"
$M: "Yes, you should be able to find it"
Goes looking, finds someone else working on something connected but not the same, finds the code change that makes this available... It doesn't explain how to use it, when the async events fire or (well, to a junior engineer like me) really anything.
Message the other (very experienced) eng.
$me: "Hey I've been asked to make $important_service use the new starting API, can you tell me about?"
$eng: "Yup, here's a bug for that and I'm happy to answer any questions you have" *goes offline*
I read the bug. It doesn't mention the original problem I was trying to solve, it doesn't even mention $important_service. There's no design doc mentioned. The bug has a higher priority assigned than any of my other work. It has an expected completion date only days after I get back from holidays (which $M told me to take).
I try to contact $M and $eng. They've already left for holidays.
Implements as much of the fairly inevitable boilerplate that I can infer from the bugs and surrounding code.
So, I'm into my second week of holiday and am starting to think about the potential shit storm I may return to.
I hope the bug's priority was wrong.6
I bet whoever wrote this code into Scala REPL didn't know they'd make someone smile during the holidays
Happy holidays everyone!
During my 2 weeks of vacation I thought I shouldn't spend all the time on private projects but should get my head clear a bit. Wanted to extend our kitchen a little for a long time now anyways!
But obviously DevRant is always on my mind cause after laying down the jigsaw I saw this little guy.. 😜
Happy holidays to all of you! :)1
Just a tip I read today :
Don't deploy anything to production this week. So u don't endup debugging during the holiday and abandoning ur friends and family. ..
Happy holidays 🎉2
I'd like to share with you guys the fact that I had one of the greatest Christmases ever!
This includes having randomly received this debugging duck from someone that had no idea what it would mean to me, but also meeting people who brought 4 dogs to the family reunion (I am absolutely in love with dogs)2
I am not gonna lie. I am really excited with the changes coming to Magento with the release of 2.3.0.
I think it will help with the huge problem in the Magento community with devs who are very incompetent but somehow keep getting significant income from clueless clients as Adobe has introduced many changes including deprecating the entire frontend, making it PWA, so react, vue, or any other framework can be used to create the frontend, all backend calls will be through the graph-ql api.
They introduced strict PHP typing, very advanced OO designs, and this deprecates 99% of all stack overflow answers and tutorials which makes me very happy.
Read the damn classes if you want to use them! Stack overflow is 99% wrong on how to implement solutions for Magento! which tells you how few devs out there actually understand Standard Practices for Magento 2.
Now, I just need to find a company that is on the leading edge of development so I can increase my skills faster than currently possible on my own.
I ironically have gotten positive responses from my resume blast yesterday and have initial interviews lined up the entire week at lunch. Was so not expecting this during holidays. But seems to be it is going to be a very good Christmas for me.
Which brings me to my prediction for Adobe's interest in an eCommerce platform such as Magento.
My prediction is they will make the backend a closed source subscription service and you will just create the frontend PWA style with api calls to their subscription service.4
A Merry Christmas to everyone here in DevRant community. I wish for you a season of goodwill, peace and happiness. May your frustrations coupled with depressions reduce! Also Happy Holidays. 😊😊😊
Tis was the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
EXCEPT THE BUG IN MY SOURCE
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!2
[Type : Joke]
Find out whether Santa has passed your country!
Happy easter Youtube!
I wish you "".
The Service for fetching the Video Name seems to be in holidays already.3
Starting a new side project over the holidays been planning it for weeks. That blank project excitement feeling is one of the best. Love summoning code from the depths of the code underworld to do my bidding.
Happy holidays all.1
I know I shouldn't do this, but I'm so frickin bored I end up resuming tasks from work here at my parents' house, in my old bedroom.
Anyway, merry christmas and happy holidays!
So here it is. Apple release, second round.
This time, uploads to AppStoreConnect took 3 hours and 40 minutes. Submission of the app was at 0.04, just after the planned launch day. Android submission tomorrow.
Tomorrow, and Friday are public holidays.
I'll have to work those, at best being able to not work on the weekend. The client has already told me he's calling me tomorrow morning to talk about things.
I don't want praise, but I'd like him to respect that while I may just be a lowly developer, I would like to have a life.
When are the happy times coming?
Even Plop Manager won't let me boot from USB. I have no CDROM with enough space to get.... Linux mint. I am stuck with Windows. Happy holidays !1
Fellow social skeptics, I need to vent. Flew back into RI for the family, not the various holidays. Fuck christmas. Fuck the societal norm that's been programmed into me and all of us. "Merry Christmas", "Happy holidays".
Yeah that doesn't play so well for my family after your brother dies the night of the 24th.
Even my best friends slip up with it, and even I'm regurgitating the phrases when I'm in public and need to be socially fucking acceptable. It's fascinating to me just how muscle-memory it is. Does that make it hollow in the first place? Is the well wishing the point and the sounds and message secondary?
Whatever it is, I've never felt comfortable in these social situations anyway. If I didn't have to travel to see my family, this would just be another day. So here's a big fuck-that to social obligations and gatherings. I just need a good intellectual conversation or a project to dive into.
So I'm currently working in outsourcing for a Dutch company. On the 24th several companies close for holiday and my company (so the one that hired me!) makes their employees to go to the office when their outsourcing client closes.
This really grinds my gears (family guy reference anyone? 😂). What's the F word difference of bundling dozens of devs for a day without nothing to do instead of letting them be in their homes??
PS: I'm home that day but I was forced to take a day off...
Cheers and happy holidays to all 🎅2
It was a great christmas time and good to had some days without a computer and without code but im so happy that i have to work today
Just saw this in my building's hallway. Wish devs were this honest about their code.