Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
Get a devDuck
Rubber duck debugging has never been so cute! Get your favorite coding language devDuckBuy Now
Search - "devrant algo"
Latest update for the devRant app has some new twists: 1) collabs are now free for all 2) black theme is available for devRant++ members 3) when posting a rant we now ask for you to classify the rant as a specific type of post. RIP !rant :/ To be clear, this isn't meant to say that any posted content needs to be different than what everyone is doing already, just that the extra categorization helps all parties who like or dislike different types of content. This categorization will help better inform the algo and allow for advanced filtering which is coming soon.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns please ask me or @dfox in this thread.67
A devRant Update!
We thought now would be a great time for a devRant summer update on what we've added recently and what we've been working on.
Highlights since our last update:
- We launched devRant++, a supporter program for people who want to help us cover our costs while getting some cool extra features (a supporter badge on rants/comments/profile, reserved spot on our in-app supporter list, ability to edit rants/comments for up to 30 minutes instead of 5, and thanks to immediate user feedback, we also added the ability to post a rant every 1 hour instead of 2, and post comments that are up to 2,000 characters instead of 1,000!) We are extremely happy and thankful for the great response the program has gotten and we plan to continue to improve it using your feedback.
- We added the ability to subscribe to a user's rants. This makes it so you get a notification whenever that user posts a new rant!
- We added an "active discussions" feature (available in the "more" tab on the right). If you're looking to join a conversation happening in the moment, then this feature will help you discover those rants. It shows rants that have recently been commented on so if it's a topic that interests you, you can easily get in on the discussion!
Some stuff we have in the pipeline:
- More fun avatar stuff, including fun new OS/language-themed pets
- More perks for the devRant++ subscriber program - if you have anything you'd like to see, please let us know and we will try to make it happen!
- We will be testing some stuff to help classify rant types (rants, jokes, questions, etc.) in order to create a more personalized experience
- On that note, we're also going to take some more time to do some work on the algo as we haven't done much in terms of improvement since the initial smart algo launched
- Community projects page update - we've been slacking on updating the page and apologize for that. If you have created a devRant-related project and it's not on the community page, please resend it to email@example.com (even if you sent it already) so we can make sure it gets added. Sorry about that!
A note on community etiquite regarding voting on content:
We've always believed that one of the most important and awesome experiences on devRant is getting your content noticed and appreciated by others. If you enjoy a piece of content, you should upvote it. If you enjoy 500 pieces of content, you should upvote them all. People really appreciate others enjoying their rants and comments so let them know if you do! If you don't like content, you can downvote it with the relevant reason. What we don't encourage is voting on content that you haven't actually looked at or spamming upvotes in mass for content you're not even actually reading/viewing. While we don't encourage that, it's not explicitly disallowed so we won't impose any penalty for it.
What is strictly prohibited and enforced is using scripts or automated procedures for voting on content. Anyone who is caught doing that will have their account deleted without warning. While very rare, we caught a couple of people doing that this week and both accounts in question were immediately deleted once discovered. To be clear, this is the practice of explicitly using a script or automation to mass vote on content. You will NEVER be banned/deleted for voting on a lot of content manually, even if you vote quickly and on lots of stuff. We just want to make that clear becuase this is not meant to discourage people from voting, it is only regarding votes not placed by humans. So if you're a human voting on content, you have nothing to worry about, we promise!
Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or feedback on any of this. We love constructive feedback and in the past it has gone a very long way to improving and advancing the devRant community. And as always, thank you to everyone who contributed to the community in any way, we really appreciate it and want to keep making your experienfce better.
~David and Tim (Team devRant)
Some sort by Date, some by length, others by upvotes. But devrant's algorithm is so great it sorts by sarcasm.4
I wanted to post a note on devRant community etiquette and rule-breaking behavior we’ve been seeing lately to make clear it will not be tolerated. This is pretty much a rehash of this rant, https://devrant.com/rants/609739/... and also our official rules which I highly encourage people to read: https://devrant.com/rules
I’ve noticed an influx of a select group of members, mostly older users, expressing a distain towards other users or declaring content they dislike “shouldn’t be posted”, “please stop”, etc. If you find yourself about to post that, as per our rules, please don’t. It blatantly violates our rules and we are going to start cracking down on it much more. Whether you have 30k+ points or 10, we will apply the rules fairly to everyone and not give breaks to specific people, which admittedly I’ve done in the past.
If we see this behavior in rants/comments first we will give a warning (and the rant/comment will be deleted) and the next offense is a ban.
A valid question (even though I’ve answered it before) might be why does this need to be a rule? Simply put, it’s a rule for a number of reasons: posts like described try to inflict one’s will upon the entire community (even though we have a Democrat voting process...), they create confusion (almost every time they try to sound official, ex. “Stop doing this”), and beyond those two main reasons, they literally accomplish nothing because they offer no constructive methods of achieving what’s being requested, and only a fraction of the community will actually see it.
Here’s an example of what’s not allowed and what is allowed:
- Allowed: posting an issue on our GitHub issue tracker saying “I really dislike seeing this type of rant in my algo feed, here’s some ideas I have to improve the algo and add more personalization so I can see what I want.”
- Allowed: posting on GitHub issue tracker: “I found this awesome image similarly algo that I think can improve the ‘repost check feature’ - you guys should check it out and see if it might be good”
- Not allowed: “Omg stop shitposting windows update rants and Linux rants I hate them. Go post this type of rant because that’s what everyone really wants to see.”
One is constructive an the other is merely an opinion expressed as an enforcement of a self-made rule on the community and tries to tell other people how they should use devRant.
I cringe when people tell others how to use devRant because without fail when I see those posts, I go through that person’s rant/comment history and I nearly always see them using devRant in some kind of way I disagree with or isn’t exactly what I like to see. But that’s OK. I understand I’m not going to enjoy everything posted and I’m also not going to agree with everything posted. But I think it’s fair for those same people to then lecture on what isn’t appropriate to post on devRant, and it’s even more silly when their posts are sometimes irrelevant to development and the posts they are complaining about are relevant.
In the end, based on the large majority of feedback we get, we want to make devRant a place where everyone feels comfortable expressing themselves and doesn’t have to think about possibly getting ridiculed every time they post and that don’t have people trying to dictate what kind of ideas they are allowed to post. We also realize there’s types of content people don’t enjoy, but telling others not to post it is not the solution. We will soon be launching post type filters that will make filtering rants by post type possible.
Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks for reading.69
Normal devRant user:
- Look, the algo it's awesome, it matches similar content posts, it's so funny!
Meanwhile at devRant Headquarters:
trogus: When are you telling them?
dfox: Ignorance is bliss, my friend
trogus: Well, at least we know the random number generator it's not coded by Sony though, otherwise they would suspect12
The devRant community:
@dfox: Our lord and savior, a rockstar who gets his comments ++'d just for being dfox
@trogus: The designer who lives in the shadow of dfox, but is still beloved
@tisaconundrum: Has 1 ++ for every time someone has tried, and failed, to pronounce his username in their head. (It's a lot)
@letmecode: The most consistently angry rants
@calmyourtities: I see him a lot
@me: I get mentioned every time the google assistant makes the "algo-rhythm" joke
@linux, @linuxxx, and @linuxforfun are linux users.
Continue in the comments!63
You know you have been using devrant too much when you open it and the algo only gives you rants that you already ++'ed.5
I have this one question..
So when I want to ask something or posting/ranting something, there are different categories.. I can differentiate between others vs a collab.. but what about questions, rants, about devrant, random, what are the differences between these categories apart from the specific category helping the algo to populate your newsfeed..
We should give it a name to when devRant algo nails two consecutive rants with a purposeful meaning19
Wanted to ++ rant about that clicking devrant logo refreshes page. Now thanks to algo I can not find it... Sorry mate, no ++ for you4
I'm getting the sense that the devRant algo somehow thinks I love seeing rubber duck memes every 3 posts...2
While I work on my devRant client, I always end up thinking, "how would dfox do it for the backend".
Some of the functions I have include:
-fetching new rants, 250 at a time
-remembering the ones I've read and filtering those out (kinda similar to Algo)
-checking for updates from followed users and new notifications
My implementions are kinda spammy though part of it is because I need to use the existing API.
But even so, how would/does he implement these so all the users' requests don't end up bringing down the server, and efficiently store and retrieve everyone's view history?
My problems are small compared to his... How do you think and deal with problems at that scale though?
@dfox How to get recent rants from devRant API ?
www.devramt.io/api/devrant/rants give me algo but i want recent2
Algo strikes very often or people just continue to repost the same things... maybe I know the answer. 🤔2
Lots of questions going on about devRant. Just want to make devRant better.
1. Please tell the update intervals of upvotes and downvotes. Is there a delay? Doesnt really matter but i see many times i got a upvote notif but my score didnt increased...
2. Duplicate image algo is so poor. I know it is only in beta, but i see so many reposts which has the same pic but only with the resolution different or the image with the devrant watermark.
3. Minor, tags should be also saved when exitting the post rant activity.
4. Feature request : go to top, bottom in rant
5. Please make web app accessible in mobile. I think you check the user agent for the web app, but can you make it available to mobile users who cant download the app?
6. When accessing the web app in mobile, i type devrant.io/feed
Then, by the wonderful intent you made, it opens the app automatically. I was writing a rant, but it was all deleted.
7. Any new podcasts and cartoons planned?
8. Still bug not fixed.
Write a comment in a long rant.
Delete the comment you just wrote.
You cant reply to the last person comment.
I thought devRant was dead today because I didn't see new content for hours, then I realized the feed was on Algo. #fml
Most of the time I'm reading DevRant on 'recent' algo to avoid memes; I'd rather read authentic rants as simple as they are sometimes.6
Open devrant, scroll through algo till you see stuff from yesterday, click settings, go to recent and continue
Hmmmm its almost new year im having finally holiday from school and all that stuff but still working on ROMs but well another story and i dont have a thing to rant about which i think is kinda good but sad at the same time.
So all i wanted to say to you guys that 2017 was an amazing year full of learning new stuff and trying, meeting some cool people.
I have done a lot of work this year.
Created a sort algo which well was already created but i didnt know that sadly.
Working on encryption algo (Still)
And lot more but thats not what the rant is about.
It was as i said above an amazing year and im sure we had a loooooooot of fun at devRant.
Some big changes happened this year at devRant mostly the web UI and livestream which was totally amazing.
Also a lot of thing happened here looooot of awesome things and i finally updated my fucking firefox extension for 57 standard (Yeah i was late on that one).
I surely would have said more but nothing comes up in my mind now only some quantum mechanics stuff but well thats not what the rant is about neither.
So Happy New Year to all of you guys and let the 2018 be more awesome then 2017;5
Anyone else suddenly started seeing really old weekly rants? (Specifically for me, wk4, wk11) Has the algorithm changed?5
Me: "Alright, I've been on 'top', 'algo' and 'recent', I'm going to check twitter or 9gag now"
Also me: "I wonder what's up on DevRant"1
Passed out college this year...
Got a job too (lucky 😀)
Now all juniors are asking me how to prepare for placements... N keeps asking my resume..
And m saying everyone same stuff.. DS and algo is must.. n chk my LinkedIn for resume..
Soon, seems like m gonna tell them join devRant first and then I will say further..
Note: Placement starts in few weeks and they care now on how to prepare for it.. Folks say it's better to start late than never.. but still.. I wud love to help them but asking same questions repeatedly not gonna help them..2
Did the devRant algo shit itself or something? I've seen pretty much the same exact feed throughout the whole day..
I am quiet these days although I had few materials to write about. Like my journey of devdesk. I bought a proper chair. New mouse and got a mechanical keyboard. Work is fine but it is definitely not lack of rant-worthy moments. I had deactivated my Facebook and I wasn't that active on any other social network from the start. So all the more reason for me to be active here.
But turn out I'm not. I was thinking about it and this is my outcomes.
1) I'm focusing more on my tasks after adoption and practicing pomodoros technique. Hence using devrant lesser.
2) My right hand was literally unusable and unmovable for two times in past 5 weeks. Hence using phone lesser.
3) There was that notifications bug period and I thought people were just quiet like me. Hence more reasons to be less active.
4) devRant algo is good but not smart. It knows that I have a relation with PHP. But it doesn't know that I don't hate PHP. >>> How many times a week can you listen/ignore to people saying "Hey your wife is a silicone doll?" Fuck you. I know. But I'm married to my silicone doll. So fuck off. <<< PHP is just an example. I literally close devrant whenever I see "(noun) is (something negative)" posts.
My hand will fully recover soon. (I do hope so). My tasks will not always be super overwhelming. The app's bugs are getting fixed.
However I have a doubt about the last point.1
While listening to Algo and Data struct teacher, a friend of mine ("Blue Hair") told me about devRant. Guess i'm going to learn not much about BST today.3
Noticing something weird. Is it normal that I cant scroll down on algo and that I already red them all?
I restarted devrant but same thing happens.4
What are the chances that algo will chain the following two posts along with this post? I kinda wanna see some devRant-ception...1
The DEVRANT SEARCH could be improved.
Often wrong results are on top, because the algo accepts 1 different character and tags have no priority.
Example: I clicked on the tag "hangover".
Among the top results there were rants with "handover" and "hannover" (German city).
The first rant with the tag "hangover" was at position 18
Wouldnt the search result be better with another logic?
Priority 1: Tags with exactly the same word
Priority 2: Rants with exactly the same word
Priority 3: Tags with similar words/expressions
Priority 4: Rants with similar words/expressions
As this is as good a place as any to vent, I feel the need to proclaim that I've had to unsubscribe from /r/ProgrammerHumor on account of all the "volume control" jokes.
I am a patient man, but I simply cannot deal with monotony. It is the same fucking joke over and over again popping into my feeds.
Gonna give it a couple of months until it dies down.
Here on devrant, I guess I'll just have to downvote and trust in algo to save me2
Something is wrong with devrant's algo sorting, it's showing me the same posts no matter how many times I refresh it. I want to see new things :/2
TL;DR: fuck shitty algorithms!
The Youtube app seems to have a highlights option for your subscriptions. Found out because it activated itself.
Firstly: NEVER FUCKING EVER CHANGE MY FUCKING OPTIONS BECAUSE YOU ADDED A NEW FEATURE. YOU MAY NOTIFY ME AND IF I WANT IT ACTIVATED I AM PROBABLY ABLE TO TOUCH ME SCREEN TWICE AND ACTIVATE IT!
Secondly: Why can't people understand that I don't want any fucking neural networks (except sometimes devrant because the algo is the algo) to tell me what I want to look at, especially if it's on fucking YouTube where I only have to go through a few videos a day? But hey maybe I want to watch that video I didn't want to watch 5 days ago!?
Thirdly: I subscribed to more than two channels and there might be a fucking reason why I subscribed to these channels. Don't show me 5/6 videos not only from the same creator but it's just the last 5 videos from the same series.3
ok you go to your fancy tiled cabinet to do some serious shit. how you pleasure yourself while doing it?
1. devrant algo
2. devrant recent
3. devrant wk
... something else?1
I was scrolling devrant as we do and spotted something intriguing.
Just beneath the panel where the 'wyd' tag is- is some background text. And it is static. Its the bar of check boxes that allow us to choose a filter (Algo. Recent etc)
Just random noticings.1