Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "zen"
i have just realized that the main source of my unhappiness and emotional imbalances is interacting with the world.
when at home, i am zen. i leave everything alone and everything leaves me alone, i am at peace, i am happy.
as soon as i get out and start being barraged by the everpresent dumbfuckery of the world, and on top of that my own dumbfuckery,... it becomes difficult to not hate existence.7
Had a mental breakdown a few days ago. Crying like it's the end of the world when computer stopped working. I was a Picasso drawing of the hysteria, basically.
My exams are getting near, I'm really not ready; yet this chick keeps asking me about ten euros I borrowed from her a year and something back when we were going to a club they asked me to go to with them... Given her persistence that I should wire her the money (no PayPal tho) I assume she's up to something super shady. Why does she need my account info for?
Anyways, being annoyed by only ten euros (in our currency, it's not much, btw. It's less than two bags of expensive chips, or 5 dozen of the cheapest eggs on the market) and not studying enough, there is also my work. I feel so incompetent that I may just resign. Like... I'm not smart enough for this project. 😢 And I'm aware of it.
Put that on the side with this uni's project, which is very "Urghhhhh" because of too many people working on the same project, some of who need to be sent back to kindergarten to learn how to cooperate with others.
And in the middle of all of that, I'm trying to stay as zen as possible until the next mental breakdown. 😑😑😐
Thank you for reading this rant.7
Code katas are by far the most cringe thing I've ever seen in the dev world. Second place goes to dan abramov, third goes to python's “zen of python” naïveté being baked into the fucking language itself and printed out when you write “import this”.4
I think I've reached some kind of job nirvana. My coworkers and I all complain about our work. We're overworked, underappreciated, underpaid, and and have to deal with all sorts of bullshit all the time. Pretty much everyone who has been on the team longer than a year is talking about quitting.
But I started at this company as a level 1 tech support phone technician before I transferred into the DevOps side of things, and that tech support job was SO much worse. Way more stressful, way less pay, mandatory overtime, horrible scheduling, being forced to remain calm while people hurl insults at you over the phone, and it was a dead-end job with a high turnover rate and almost no opportunities for advancement of any kind.
And every time I think back on that job, I realize that what I have now is actually pretty great. I'm paid well (still underpaid for the job I do, but catching up really fast due to my current boss giving me several big raises to keep me from quitting lol). I deal only with other tech people like developers and data scientists so no more listening to salesmen insult me on the phone. I'm not in any sort of customer service role so I can call people on their bullshit as long as I'm professional about it. I'm salaried so they can't make me work horrible shifts. 99% of my days are a normal 9-5 workday. I actually have a reliable schedule to plan around.
People treat me like the adult that I am.
I'd get a similar experience at other, better-paying companies, for sure, but what I have now is still pretty great.
I'm sure I'll be back in a few days to rant about more nonsensical bullshit and stress, but for now I'm feeling the zen.
My daily routine :`)
wake up between 5:00 am to 11:00 am -> eat unhealthy breakfast and sometimes miss breakfast -> watch useless youtube videos -> beat my meat -> do some coding -> watch more useless videos -> eat lunch -> do some more coding -> watch more useless videos -> eat dinner -> and then sleep
In reality, I'm really frustrated with my life, sometimes I thought that dying is easier than living 🙂.7
Laziest habit? Anything done between 1pm-4:30pm and 4:59pm-8pm. During that time, habits include unnecessary refactoring, poking the CI/CD containers, editing already made prototypes in gimp inkscape, pasting stackoverflow topics to youtube, bouncing from macOS, windows and kde distros in search of zen/rice, adding a calendar emoji on my slack :), making useless automation scripts, building on every variable's value change, tinkering pixels, shades, gradients (and their angles), dimens, anim values, anim curves, opacity, blurs and just nuking the ui just to copy paste an old one, 60% just chatting in code alongs, changing key bindings (from ide to OS), and ultimately zoning out on a podcast about cyber security. And of course: waiting for ++ and comments
The Zen Of Ripping Off Airtable:
(patterned after The Zen Of Python. For all those shamelessly copying airtables basic functionality)
*Columns can be *reordered* for visual priority and ease of use.
* Rows are purely presentational, and mostly for grouping and formatting.
* Data cells are objects in their own right, so they can control their own rendering, and formatting.
* Columns (as objects) are where linkages and other column specific data are stored.
* Rows (as objects) are where row specific data (full-row formatting) are stored.
* Rows are views or references *into* columns which hold references to the actual data cells
* Tables are meant for managing and structuring *small* amounts of data (less than 10k rows) per table.
* Just as you might do "=A1:A5" to reference a cell range in google or excel, you might do "opt(table1:columnN)" in a column header to create a 'type' for the cells in that column.
* An enumeration is a table with a single column, useful for doing the equivalent of airtables options and tags. You will never be able to decide if it should be stored on a specific column, on a specific table for ease of reuse, or separately where it and its brothers will visually clutter your list of tables. Take a shot if you are here.
* Typing or linking a column should be accomplishable first through a command-driven type language, held in column headers and cells as text.
* Take a shot if you somehow ended up creating any of the following: an FSM, a custom regex parser, a new programming language.
* A good structuring system gives us options or tags (multiple select), selections (single select), and many other datatypes and should be first, programmatically available through a simple command-driven language like how commands are done in datacells in excel or google sheets.
* Columns are a means to organize data cells, and set constraints and formatting on an entire range.
* Row height, can be overridden by the settings of a cell. If a cell overrides the row and column render/graphics settings, then it must be drawn last--drawing over the default grid.
* The header of a column is itself a datacell.
* Columns have no order among themselves. Order is purely presentational, and stored on the table itself.
* The last statement is because this allows us to pluck individual columns out of tables for specialized views.
*Very* fast scrolling on large datasets, with row and cell height variability is complicated. Thinking about it makes me want to drink. You should drink too before you embark on implementing it.
* Wherever possible, don't use a database.
If you're thinking about using a database, see the previous koan.
* If you use a database, expect to pick and choose among column-oriented stores, and json, while factoring for platform support, api support, whether you want your front-end users to be forced to install and setup a full database,
and if not, what file-based .so or .dll database engine is out there that also supports video, audio, images, and custom types.
* For each time you ignore one of these nuggets of wisdom, take a shot, question your sanity, quit halfway, and then write another koan about what you learned.
* If you do not have liquor on hand, for each time you would take a shot, spank yourself on the ass. For those who think this is a reward, for each time you would spank yourself on the ass, instead *don't* spank yourself on the ass.
* Take a sip if you *definitely* wildly misused terms from OOP, MVP, and spreadsheets.5
I encounter a bug that appears randomly and doesn't break the whole application but after reload it magically goes away and everything works fine during development. The worst thing is that I don't know how to replicate that bug and have no idea what is causing that bug.2
"f(n) is O(g(n)) if c and n0 f(n) <= cg(n) for all n > n0".
I have a couple of questions related to this equation.
1: why we use this equation?
2: which thing cg(n) is represented for?
3: what is the real-life example of this?10
Sir need help!!!
I am really addicted to youtube, i am wasting days watching useless youtube videos and i am not able to do coding at all. I have already tried a lot of firefox addons but they are not working. Can anyone point me to a way that prevents Firefox from opening the YouTube website even though I would like to.15
I make a portfolio website using reactjs can anybody take a look and review my website design.
caution: It is not responsive now and still I have to add animations in it using GSAP
website link: http://c9ef-122-180-17-23.ngrok.io/20
I've a virtual hackathon based on superhero theme, but I don't have any idea what I've to do make can somebody give me any idea on that theme?2
Finally, I'm able to complete and host my personal website, would you gies give me your feedback how it's look :D
I've bought a LinkedIn premium and it have overwhelmingly collection of courses and now I don't know where to start? Any suggestions?5
Can anybody share some tips on desktop devices that will make my life easier? I build apps and websites on multiple devices. My desk is a mess, devices are all over the office, wires are everywhere.I need more zen.
I need some kind of shelf or tray that holds maybe 5+ different tablets/mobiles neatly. I also need charge points, maybe a nice under-monitor tray. Needs to be robust.
Solve the given riddle?
Two pheasants in front of a pheasant Two behind a pheasant, pheasant in front of pheasant pheasant behind pheasant Tell me how many pheasants.7
HELP!!!, My ubuntu system exhaust all of it's ram, my system lags too much, I was currently running firefox, vim, postman, react server and node server.26
I try to delete a partition from my sundisk Pendrive using GParted but when I do this I got the error that is shown in the image.
And If I try to use "fdisk" which run `sudo fdisk /dev/sda` following command it gives me ```welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.34).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.
fdisk: cannot open /dev/sda: Read-only file system```
following error does that mean my pendrive permanently broke can anybody help me!9
Hey, what is the best way to add speech recognition on web? Did web developers have python developer like AI/ML technology.3
Just finished updating a Laravel project to use page-specific dynamic JS imports using webpack mixins.
Everything feels so clean and manageable. I am zen......
Daily moments of zen
Sure many people here will appreciate
I'm try to make a color picker browser extension and I want to open eyedropper element in firefox using `EyeDropper` api but it doesn't support in firefox it is only support in chrome, is there any alternative of it in firefox?8
I have a directory "output" in my express project which contains some pngs and I want that every user can download the content of the "output" directory into their local machine can anybody tell me how I do this using nodejs?5
I want to create a invitation system where a person send invitation link for a room to other person by entering there username, email and on the other side when invited user click on sender link he/she can join the room. Can somebody help me? I'm using Reactjs, Nodejs, mongoose