Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "comfort"
Seriously, a new guy joined out team and suddenly I'm out of my comfort zone and started following the pattern I used to follow. The thing he did, commented on my PR, a lot of comments.
I had this thing that hey now I can control anything right, new guy? less experienced? yes, so I don't need to be intimidated. But I realised today that I'm easily intimidated my intelligent people because I think now I am the inferior one.
I will push myself to think about it in a better way, by looking at it positively, to learn something from it.10
we are living in a very fucked up society.
- the poor is fantasize the minimum wages nd life supplies( aka more money) . they work and becoms the minimum wage worker.
- the minimum wage worker fantasize a little more comfort, better lifestyle and therefore works to become an average earning worker.
- the average earning worker is mostly happy in present but worries about the future and wants to save, so fantasise an above average income and works hard to become an above average earner.
now here gets everything messed up. the above average worker is supposed to be the ultimate position where you are not really required to upgrade yourself( previous ones were a real necessity for existence). however a person cannot stop here :
1. resources gets depleted , people get greedy, life happens , or just any big firm go crazy and increases the price of their goods. you were filling your stomach whole day for $1? boom, you can't afford a single meal in $1. so the above avg person has to compete with inflation
2. government gets greedy the moment they see you as someone earning more than average. boom, income taxes, tax slabs, "pay for what we gave you when you were poor, bitch"- tax . its an unwanted monthly expense that you can't , much like the offerings old people would do to the village's goon.
3. tempting offers that shuts down the logical part of brain (or rather makes the part have orgasm).
- "dude , you wanna earn 250 bucks? buy 10 burgers worth 50 bucks each for 25bucks each, and you saved 250 bucks!" "but dude, i can have a whole meal for $2?" "but dude , you won't be saving anything" "🧐😐😶" (aka e commerce and other coupons/cashback companies)
- "dude, bet 1000 bucks on this 5 letter image. there is a good chance that other people will also bet their money on it and then your 1000 bucks worth of 5 petter image will be worth 1500 bucls" " but what if they doesn't? do i still get my 1000 bucls back" "nah , you get wjat the market price pf your share price is" (meanwhile someone whispering from the govt :" minus the capital gain tax") (aka shares and investment)
- "hey dude, the 1000 bucks you deposited with me for safekeeping, i am only going to give 2% interest per month from the previous 5% and will also add additional charges, therby giving you a 0$ profit." "WHY? " "because i can" (aka the banks)
so in short, the above avg person can see that in the long run, every service, every deal is going to cost him an approx 20-60% percentage of the income he would ideally be making , so he wants to earn more and more in order to have a good number in his savings for his initial tension of the future.
so from above average to ultra rich, everyone is just running to get a better deal , where oftentimes the other people involved in the deal are getting more than what our above avg guy is earning
plus after a time, these deals are no longer a pain for us, rather we start liking them because that was their goal from the start: to get people addicted to involved in complex cashback/cash delay/cash growth deals.
and this becomes the stereotype rich lifestyle : investing in shares, taking loans, giving taxes/trying to find loopholes in taxes by investing somewhere else, buying unnecessary stuff for the sake of offers and deals .
and in between this stereotype lifestyle (portreyed by everyone from above average to ultra rich), sone factors of boasting and showoff comes from peer pressure/osmosis and then we truly embrace this stereotype by buying extra costly stuff and showing it off.
remember, the original goal of the above average common man was just to fill their stomach both today and tomorrow. his crime? he worried about tomorrow too6
“Lazy mom lazy wow” presented by Gail Swanlund was probably the most impactful piece of art to me.
Through simplistic form, this art piece presents the idea of caring about oneself and quit the eternal rat race for money. But somehow for its metaphor, Lazy mom lazy wow chooses the notion and aesthetics of death and decay. The closest analogy I can think of is the music of American Football. Some kind of liminal, eerie aesthetics. Also, the movie Gummo and the game Life is Strange, part one.
The piece deliberately avoids being aggressive and celebrating its notion. It’s not “quit the rat race and celebrate because life is so good”, it’s “quit the rat race by putting yourself into coma so nothing matters anymore”. The descent into eternal comfort of realization that you don’t have to do anything anymore, but also sorrow of losing meaning.
It feels like launching Counter-Strike Source in the year 2051, only to walk around cs_office and realize there are no players anymore, and they will not return ever again. The sense of watching an old VHS tape of you having a conversation with your mom in the hospital as she’s counting her last days because of cancer. The sense of comfort of coming back to your hometown. You remember your childhood and your high school crush, only to realize that those moments won’t happen ever again.