Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "linux distros"
I got a very low power Netbook lately for basically no money.
I thought about using it for some server monitoring / server access via ssh console.
Which Linux distros would you recommend for such a use case. Tried Something like core-os and Debian(lxde) yet but wasn't very satisfied with both options. Both could not display the battery capacity and Debian didn't detect the Intel WiFi.
The Netbook has 512mb of ram which should be fine for a lightweight gui and more than enough for a ssh connection 😅
Thanks a lot for the recommendations :)12
Dev and not Dev related:
So I finally got approved for an Afterpay balance. It was around 400 or 700 (forgot), I got a phone, a pair of shoes and a bible.
1. The last study Bible I bought was a normal sized book by dimension
This study Bible came and it was so small I couldn't read it without frustration
2. The pair of shoes were 2 sizes too small even though I always buy the same size!
3. The phone I received was faulty. No gyroscope, no tilt in games, no calibration for Google maps, no google assistant microphone.
4. I held off not returning the phone because I couldn't stand not having one for two to three weeks or whatever.
5. Now I've discovered a crack on the corner of my screen.
6. Now my Afterpay balance is no longer 400/700 it's only 200 even though I paid everything. Might be because of one missed payment or two which I caught up on.
7. I got the shits with windows ten and moved to Linux elementary is only to find that everything I install requires missing dependencies and those dependencies have no installation candidate which means I can it install the dependencies.
Now I can't get back to windows because not one out of the 5 or 6 iso burning apps I used are able to create a bootable windows USB.
I've tried woeusb also, and woe is me for trying it. That also has no installation candidates for its dependencies iirc. Fuck Mr why is Linux so shit? I even tried the software on Linux Mint to create a bootable fucking windows USB but that won't show up on boot either.
Now I have to bug my mother to use her windows PC to use the windows media creation tool to create a bootable windows USB, and either return this phone under warranty or get a new one under 200 (🤬) or just keep this one.
So, after all of this shit, I did not get one fucking thing I wanted.
No fucking properly working phone, no shoes, no bible and no working desktop os.
If anybody knows of any tools that create bootable windows USB sticks on elementary os
Oh and this time around unetbootin won't detect any USB drives on my Linux distros so I can't use that.
For all the fanboys on here don't tell me it's user error because I am more than experienced enough to know how to do these things on Linux.5
I'm sure many of you have old laptops and PCs lying around at home. Don't throw them away, and don't just leave them out there. Put them to use.
Install a Linux distro on them and they'll be as good as new https://linuxstans.com/best-linux-d...7