Do all the things like ++ or -- rants, post your own rants, comment on others' rants and build your customized dev avatarSign Up
From the creators of devRant, Pipeless lets you power real-time personalized recommendations and activity feeds using a simple APILearn More
Search - "routine"
"Hey mate, how are you doing?"
*deep sigh* "It's tough, but I'm managing"
I don't think it's a coincidence that the word managing is often used as a synonym for "Technically alive, but not in a state where I can progress personally, or add any value to my environment".
Now imagine packaging that desolate self-perpetuating feeling of apathy into a farce, propped up with practiced smiles and meet-speak, and calling that daily routine a "career".11
my boss praised me again, for just routine stuff, doing my job. I'm not even doing it too well. he said "oh but it's not about that, it's just that you're doing it". oh. honey... that's a really sad thing to say 😂4
My whole life is being destroyed
by my inability to do anything on
a routine basis ..
Most things require it but I'm just
too good at destroying any progress
I make on it ..15
My Daily WFH Routine :
Pretend that you are struggling really hard to solve some issues and it would be done by EOD.
Complete the task before lunch and the rest of the day is all mine :)4
the amount of micromanagement enforced in our scrum routine is getting ridiculous... but the PM seems to be happy with this14
My new routine after getting Elden RIng has been:
1. Get home and work out.
2. Drink protein shake
3. Take a shower, clean up and play with me pp
4. Get out and play elden ring until my wife unglues me from the controller.
And i fucking love it. Beast game in my opinion. FS really hit a home run with this mfker.105
this year i finally found a job where I don't feel like dying, and it pays well. things are going so smoothly that I'm a bit weirded out, in a good way.
the work as a dev requires creativity and is mentally exhausting, but i got a nice routine going on (not a lot of programming, mostly database maintenance), and even with the high pressure I'm still fine :)
My daily routine :`)
wake up between 5:00 am to 11:00 am -> eat unhealthy breakfast and sometimes miss breakfast -> watch useless youtube videos -> beat my meat -> do some coding -> watch more useless videos -> eat lunch -> do some more coding -> watch more useless videos -> eat dinner -> and then sleep
Small chaotic startup that never grew up (15 years atm).
Hosts/maintains a number of apps/sites for various customers.
At some point, someone decides that a CMS would be usefull to maintain the content across all products. Forgoing all sense, reason and the very notion of "additional maintenance and dev" it is decided that one should be built in-house.
Fast forward a number of years.
Ops performs routine maintenance on prod-servers. A java-patch accidently knocks out one of the pillars a 3rd party lib the CMS uses for storing images. CMS basically burst in to flames causing a.... significant incident.
Enter yours truly to fix the mess.
Spend a few days replacing the affected 3rd party lib. Run tests on CMS in test and staging environments. Apply java-patch. All seems fine.
When speaking to frontenders and app-devs, a significant hurdle present itself:
All test/staging instances of all websites/apps/etc ALL USE PRODUCTION CMS. Hardcoded. No way around.
There is -no- way to properly test and verify the functionality of any changes made to the home-brewed CMS.
My patch did indeed work in the end.
But did the company learn anything? Did they listen to my reasoning, pleading or even anguished screams for sanity?
Do you have a routine? I work from home everyday since quarantine and I don't think we are going back to the office.
I would like to be more productive, not in the sense of forcing myself to do more job and add more stress, no one is complaining about the time it takes me to finish tasks.
I'm looking for a way to scatter my working hours so I have chunks of focus and chunks of breaks in which I go out for a walk or something instead of a big chunk of focus mixed with distraction. I'm behaving as if it were a "9-5 job" when it is actually "8 hours per day" with flexible schedule.8
If you’re struggling with productivity:
 Wake up early & Exercise
Waking up early means getting most of the work done as soon as you start your day. This sets a routine for you.
Doing a high-intensity workout early in the morning can kill laziness and make you feel productive.
 Divide the day into three parts
Do the most work in the morning hours i.e 6 am to 11 am.
Keep the 12 pm - 3 pm for work that requires less energy. Evenings can be utilised to finish minor tasks.
 Make a timetable
A proper timetable or To-Do is a good way to keep a track of your daily routine.
Tick off the work you've completed and you'll feel you've been productive.
 Follow people who motivate you to work
If you waste time scrolling on social media, make sure to follow people who instantly motivate you to work and take action.
 Update or shift workspace
Your workspace is where you spend most of your time, so make sure it makes you feel motivated to work.
In case you are bored of your workspace, shift it to a new room, preferably that has windows for fresh air.10
Just realised that devRant doesn't give me the option to change my password - I had to go through the forgotten password routine to do it.7
Caused by: UcanaccessSQLException: UCAExc:::4.x.x external routine invocation exception: null value not allowed
Hmm.. Who could've thought `where rows_numbered.rownum = grouped.item_index` would ever yield a null...
Sometimes I can be such an idiot6
people with fit muscular bodies, was there a time in life when you mainly focused on working out and gaining muscles? like doing it for 4-8 hours everyday and not focusing on work/life/studies?
or did you always kept fitness/workout a small part of your routine, like 1-2 hours everyday during free time?
I want to get fit, and i have started to like working out 1 hour everyday . but haven't started taking supplements or mass cutters or stuff like that. recently one of the trainers gave an offer to give me personal training at additional cost. sounded a little shady deal coz am already paying the gym owner a fees, and he wanted to keep it between us.
He emphasized on how he is going to give me a complete 1 hour time each day, but that's what i already expected from him (which he does not. he just tells me the exercises and rarely see me doing them ).
well, if its just about the time, i am still okay with that. but if he started pushing me to workout more, or do those steroids/supplement stuff, i am just not interested completely.
However i am interested in getting a good body. so maybe this intense workout , if done in limit could help. so just wanted to know that have you ever did intense workout or just gradually gained more strength/mass/muscles?13
My brother works in fintech sector. He had created an Options strategy after months of hard work and deployed the strategy in production via CI/CD.
However, the strategy didn't deploy automatically on Monday and few trades didn't happen leading to loss. His boss came down firing at him as to why strategy was not deployed.
Turns out the IT team had changed the password on Friday evening as per their routine password updates.1
I hate windows 10 home version that suks and they always give the same 8 to 10 ways to make it faster and it never does any good. I turn this computer on and it's not a bad computer of a couple years old and is slower than a turtle and all it does is the same routine. It takes so long to boot up and if you try to hurry it it will make it that much slower. Then the bloatware then look who started Bill Gates and now is some farmer, some vax expert. Oh yeh cheer him on and give me comment no you should not. If you like him that's your business. Keep it that way cause his windows business is BULLLLLLLLLLLLLL3
update : we are at hr round baby!!!
part 1 : https://devrant.com/rants/5528056/...
part 2 (in comments) : https://devrant.com/rants/5550145/...
the tech market is crazy mann! it's one of the top indie fintech companies in our country and has a great valuation.
i totally felt that they i am crashing the interviews , and am seriously not trying to be humble. before the dsa round , i was trying to mug up how insertion sort works 🥲
now my dilemma is should i switch if i get the offer. in a summary:
- small valuation but profitable (haven't picked funding for last 3 years , so poast valuation is some double digit million $, but can easily be a unicorn company)
- very major b2b player in my country. almost all unicorns (including this fintech company) and some major MNCs are their client and they have recently acquired a few other companies of us and eu too, making them- a decent global player
- meh work : i love being a cutting edge performer in android but here we make sdks that need to support even legacy banking apps. so tech stack is a lot of verbose java and daily routine includes making very minor changes to actual code and more towards adding tests , maintaining wrapper sdks in react/cordova/unity etc, checking client side code etc.
- awesome work life balance : since work is shit and i am fast enough, i am usually working only 2-4 hours a day. i joined gym, got into shape , and have already vsited 5 places in last 6 months, and i am a guy who didn't used to have time even on sundays. here, we get mote paid leaves than what i would usually need.
- learning opportunities: not exactly from the company codebase, but they provide unlimited access to various course learning platforms like linkedin learning, udemy and others, so i joined some web dev baches and i now know decent frontend too. plus those hybrid sdks also give a light context to new things
new company :
- positives : multi billion valuation, one of the top players in fintech , have been mostly profitable ( except a few quarters)
- positive : b2c so its (hopefully) going to put me back into racing shoes with kotlin, jetpack and latest libraries.
- more $$$ for your boy :)
- negetive : they seem to be on hiring spree and am afraid to junp ship after seeing the recent coinbase layoffs. fintech is scary these days
- negetive : if they are hiring people like me, then then they are probably hiring people worse than me 😂. although thats not my concern what my main concer is how they interviewed. they have hired a 3rd party company that takes interviews of people FOR THEM! i find that extremely impolite, like they don't even wanna spare their devs to hire people they are gonna work with. i find this a toxic, robotic culture and if these are the people in there then i would have a terrible time finding some buddy engineer or some helpful senior.
- negetive : most probably a bad wlb : i worked for an year for a fast paced b2c edtech startup. no matter how old these are , b2c are always shipping new stuff and are therefore hectic. i don't like the boredom here but i would miss the free time to workout :(
so ... any thoughts about it?4